This mint chocolate smoothie starts with frozen bananas. I know what you’re thinking – MINT and BANANA? Yes. But please listen (read?) when I say (type?) that the riper the bananas are, the less your milkshakes/smoothies will taste like banana. So let your bananas brown. You want dark brown speckled peels.
Along with frozen bananas, you will need yogurt, milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a touch of peppermint extract. There is a lot of wiggle room with these ingredients:
- The milk can be any milk you like. I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- The yogurt can be any yogurt you like. I use non-fat Greek yogurt. You will need 6 0z of it.
- Start with 2 heaping Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder. Add more for a richer chocolate flavor if you’d like.
- Start with 1/8 teaspoon of peppermint extract. This stuff is potent. Add more if you’d like.
- Feel free to add chocolate protein powder if you want.
- Feel free to add a handful of spinach if desired.
Feel free to add chocolate protein powder and/or a handful of spinach if desired. Smoothie is gluten free as written.
- 3 small frozen very ripe bananas, previously peeled & sliced
- 2 heaping Tablespoons (12g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (120ml) unsweetened almond milk or regular milk*
- 6 oz (181g) nonfat Greek yogurt*
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender that will blend up the frozen banana. I like this Ninja or this Vitamix.
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender, in the order listed, and blend until thick, creamy, and smooth – about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Taste and add more peppermint extract if needed. Add more cocoa powder for a stronger chocolate taste. Add more milk to thin it out if desired.
- Milk: The milk can be any milk you like– skim, 1%, 2%, almond, soy, coconut. I always use unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Yogurt: The yogurt can be any yogurt you like– vanilla Greek yogurt, plain Greek yogurt, plain yogurt, vanilla yogurt. Non-fat or low fat.
Keywords: skinny mint chocolate milkshake