Tender and moist, this pound cake is loaded with buttery flavor and sweet Nutella swirls. It will melt in your mouth.
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (188g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup Nutella, divided and warmed*
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Spray 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Set aside. In another medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together. Set that aside as well.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a handheld mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. With the mixer running on low speed, add the egg/vanilla mixture and continue to beat until smooth and light in color. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients until just combined. The batter is very thick and very sticky. Do not overmix the batter.
- Spread 1/3 of the batter into prepared loaf pan. Spread 6 Tablespoons of the Nutella on top. Nutella is very thick and hard to spread, but do your best to make it one even layer. Repeat with another 1/3 of the batter and the rest of the Nutella. Top with remaining cake batter.
- Bake the pound cake for 50-60 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil after 25 minutes to avoid the top and sides form browning too much. Slight browning is OK. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out free of cake crumbs (with some Nutella). The original recipe stated 1 hour and 15 minutes, but that was much too long for my cake. I fear it would be burnt and dry. 50 minutes is how long mine took, but yours may take longer.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Cake stays soft, moist, and fresh stored at room temperature for up to 6 days.
- Freezing Instructions: You can freeze this pound cake for up to 3 months. Bake it, cool it, then wrap it in aluminum foil and freeze the loaf as a whole. Allow the cake to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bring to room temperature before serving.
- Nutella: I like to lightly warm the Nutella before layering it into the pan. I simply microwave it for about 15 seconds. This makes it easier to layer into the batter, as well as helps prevent it sinking to the bottom of the pound cake.
- Adapted from Food & Wine.
Keywords: nutella pound cake