My orange lemon poppy seed muffins are a twist on the original lemon version. Soft on the inside, slight crisp on the outside. And full of flavorful citrus!
- 2 and 1/3 cups (292g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) salted butter, melted*
- juice and zest of 2 medium lemons*
- juice and zest of 1 orange*
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120g) non-fat or low-fat Greek or regular yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, orange juice, and orange zest together until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition. Whisk in the yogurt and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together until no pockets of flour remain. Do not overmix. The batter is extremely thick.
- Spoon the thick batter into the muffin tins, filling them all the way to the top. Sprinkle each with coarse sugar. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C). Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C) and continue to bake for 10-13 minutes longer until tops are lightly golden. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Top with additional lemon and/or orange zest if desired (optional).
- Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Try them with a simple lemon glaze too!
- Freezing Instructions: For longer storage, freeze muffins for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave if desired.
- Butter: I have used salted and unsalted butter interchangeably in this recipe without changing the amount of added salt.
- Lemon: 1 medium-size lemon = approximately 1 tablespoon of lemon zest = 2 to 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Orange: My large orange yielded about 1/4 cup of juice and 2 Tablespoons of zest.
Keywords: orange lemon poppy seed muffins