Soft peanut butter cookies with Valentine’s Day heart candies!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 24 dove chocolate hearts
- optional: granulated sugar for rolling
- In a large bowl with a handheld or stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Mix in peanut butter, then the egg, and then the vanilla. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Do not overmix. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Remove chilled dough from fridge and roll into 1 Tablespoon balls. Spread a thin layer of granulated sugar on a plate and roll each dough ball to evenly coat (if desired).
- On an ungreased baking sheet, bake for 8-9 minutes, until the tops begin to *slightly* crack. Do not bake longer than this. Cookies will look undone, but will firm up as they cool. Press a chocolate heart into each cookie and quickly stick the baking sheet in the freezer or fridge so the warm cookie does not completely melt the chocolate heart. Let the chocolate set (about 15 minutes) on the cookies in the freezer/refrigerator.
Keywords: peanut butter sweetheart cookies, sweetheart cookies