You’ll have fun both making and eating these Homemade Pizza Rolls! Made with my tested pizza dough recipe, this is a perfect party snack. Use your favorite pizza toppings such as pepperoni, cheese, and pizza sauce. The recipe can be halved to make 12 rolls.
- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough*
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup pizza sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- Italian seasoning or ground basil, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 60–65 pepperoni slices
- optional: 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- optional: extra mozzarella cheese and fresh basil
- Prepare pizza dough through step 3. When the dough is ready, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each half into a large rectangle, about 10×12 inches.
- To prevent the filling from making your pizza rolls soggy, brush the tops lightly with 1 teaspoon olive oil each. Using your fingers, push dents into the surface of the dough rectangles to prevent bubbling. See photo above for visual. Spread 1/3 cup pizza sauce on top of each dough rectangle. Sprinkle each lightly with Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella evenly over sauce, then top with pepperoni slices. Carefully roll dough rectangles into tight logs. Place logs onto 1 prepared baking sheet, seam side down and place baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill, uncovered, for at least 20 minutes. Chilling prevents the rolls from falling apart as you slice.
- During that time, preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line two large baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Remove logs from the refrigerator and cut each into 12 1-inch slices. Pour cornmeal into a plate or bowl. Dip the bottom of each roll into cornmeal and place 12 on each baking sheet, cornmeal side down. The cornmeal is optional, but gives the bottom of the rolls an extra delicious crisp. Sprinkle the tops of the rolls with extra cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the sides are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve with fresh basil on top (if desired) and extra pizza sauce for dipping. Pizza rolls should be enjoyed immediately, though they can be covered tightly and stored for a few days in the refrigerator. Reheat to your liking.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: If you plan to make this snack ahead of time, prepare the rolls through step 3 where you chill the logs in the refrigerator. Cover the rolls tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day. The next day, proceed with the recipe. Baked pizza rolls freeze well, up to 3 months. Bake frozen rolls at 350°F (177°C) for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. See the pizza crust recipe for how to freeze and thaw the pizza dough.
- Half Batch: Recipe can easily be halved to yield 12 rolls. Freeze half of the pizza dough for another time.
- Whole Wheat Version: If desired, use whole wheat pizza dough instead.
- Muffin Pan or 9×13 inch Baking Pan: You can bake these rolls in muffin pans or 9×13 baking pans. Bake time is the same.
- Reference my Baking with Yeast Guide for answers to common yeast FAQs.
Keywords: pepperoni pizza rolls, pizza rolls