Gooey pumpkin pie Rice Krispie treats with a simple white chocolate drizzle. An easy fall treat!
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree* (or fresh)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 4 oz white chocolate (I prefer Ghirardelli)
- optional: 24 mellowcreme pumpkins
- Generously spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray. I used an 11×7 because I like thicker treats – go with your preference. Set pan aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the pumpkin puree and continue to cook until it is warmed through. Fold marshmallows, stirring frequently until almost completely melted. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt, and then remove from heat.
- Allow the marshmallow mixture to cool for 20 minutes or until it is at room temperature (failure to cool the mixture will result in soggy Rice Krispie treats). Add the cereal and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and gently spread out evenly. I sprayed the back of a large spatula with non-stick spray and gently pressed the mixture without packing it down. Allow to set for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares. Melt white chocolate and drizzle on top.
- Store in an airtight container up to one week. You could even cut these treats into pumpkin shapes or decorate with regular candy corns. Enjoy!
- Pumpkin: I find that blotting some of the moisture out of the pumpkin works helps prevent the treats from tasting soggy. There is SO much moisture in pumpkin puree, so you want a lot of it out. Measure 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree (fresh or canned) and then blot it between two paper towels to absorb some moisture. Then use in the recipe as instructed.
- Spices: You can replace the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves with store-bought or homemade pumpkin pie spice. You could also replace just the nutmeg, ginger, and cloves with pumpkin pie spice and leave the cinnamon in the recipe.
- Adapted from The Kitchn.
Keywords: pumpkin pie rice krispie treats, pumpkin rice krispie treats