A simple recipe for roasted vegetable pizza on top of my favorite whole wheat homemade pizza crust. Makes one 12-inch pizza or you can make two pizzas from my entire crust recipe and double the toppings listed below.
- 1/2 recipe whole wheat pizza crust
- 1 small eggplant (or 1/2 large), sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- artichoke hearts (I used 1 can, which held about 9)
- 1 small white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms (I used baby portobello), chopped
- olive oil for roasting veggies
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese*
- 2–3 Tablespoons (10-15g) grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare the whole wheat pizza dough through step 5.
- While the dough is rising, prepare your roasted/caramelized vegetables. Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Arrange the eggplant slices, red pepper slices, and artichoke hearts on the baking sheet. Drizzle the veggies lightly with olive oil. Place in the oven and roast until they are browned to your liking, about 20 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil into a large skillet over low-medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, to slightly caramelize to your liking. I kept mine on the stove for 15 minutes.
- Remove roasted veggies from the oven and caramelized onions/mushrooms from the stove. Set them all aside.
- Proceed with step 6 through step 10 of the pizza crust (including preheating oven to 475°F (246°C)). Top the crust with pizza sauce, then the shredded mozzarella, then all of your roasted vegetables. Bake for 15 minutes. I baked mine for 16 minutes. For the last minute, I move the oven rack to the top rack to really brown the edges. That’s optional.
- Sprinkle hot pizza with grated parmesan cheese. Slice and serve immediately. Store leftover pizza covered tightly in the refrigerator and reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices may be frozen up to 1 month.
- Freezing Instructions: Please see homemade whole wheat pizza crust recipe for how to freeze the pizza dough.
- Cheese: Use your favorite cheese instead of shredded mozzarella. Goat cheese, feta, gorgonzola, etc. Add more/less to your liking.
- Reference my Baking with Yeast Guide for answers to common yeast FAQs.
Keywords: vegetable whole wheat pizza