A classic rustic galette recipe using summer’s finest juicy fruits.
- 2 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced (not frozen)
- 2 cups (about 300 grams) sliced fresh strawberries (not frozen)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 3 Tablespoons (45 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed*
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ice water, plus more as needed
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- additional sugar for sprinkling
- Make the filling: Mix the peaches and strawberries together in a medium bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla, tossing well to coat the fruit. Set aside and allow the mixture to soak as you prepare the crust.
- Make the crust: Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter (or your hands), cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add 1/4 cup of ice water, stirring with a fork until the flour is moistened. Add up to 2 more Tablespoons of ice water if the dough seems dry. Gently knead the dough a few times in the bowl until it all comes together. Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it into a thick disk, as pictured above. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (190°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Trim the rim of the circle to make a clean cut if desired. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon the fruit (not the juices) into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-3 inch border all around, as pictured above. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the fruit, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges. Pour most of the reserved juices over the fruit, leaving about 1-2 Tablespoons behind. Too much juice and the dough will become soggy.
- Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool before serving.
- If you wish to drizzle with vanilla glaze, use the glaze recipe from here. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Tart tastes best on the same day it is baked. Cover tart with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Butter: Make sure your butter is very cold. I like to chill it in the freezer for about 15 minutes ahead of time.
Keywords: strawberry peach galette