As delicious and impressive as pie, but half the work! This salted caramel apple galette is the easiest fall dessert.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (188g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled), plus more for work surface
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g; 1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed*
- 1/4 cup (60ml) ice cold water*
Filling & Topping
- 2 – 3 large apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices (about 4–5 cups slices)*
- 1/4 cup (50g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons (12g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (to prevent apple browning)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salted caramel sauce
- egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon milk
- optional: 1/3 cup (40g) Diamond of California chopped walnuts
- Make the crust: Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter or a couple forks, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add the water and stir until the flour is moistened. Add 1 more Tablespoon of water if the dough seems dry. Gently knead the dough a few times on a lightly floured work surface until it all comes together. Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it into a thick disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days (or freeze up to 3 months).
- As the dough chills, prepare the filling: Mix the apples, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Cover tightly and let sit until the dough is ready. I usually cover it and keep in the refrigerator during this time.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle (or any shape, really!). Trim the rim of the circle to make a clean cut if desired. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange the apples (not the juices) into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-3 inch border all around. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the apples, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges. Drizzle 3 Tablespoons of salted caramel over the filling (not the crust). Brush the crust edges with egg wash and sprinkle the whole thing with walnuts, if using.
- Bake until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown, about 35-38 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve with extra salted caramel sauce drizzled on top.
- Make Ahead Instructions: Both the dough and filling can be made ahead of time and chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The dough can be frozen for up to 3 months after prepared in step 1. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before rolling out and filling.
- Special Tools: Mixing Bowls, Pastry Cutter, Rolling Pin, Copper Saucepan, Stainless Steel Saucepan, and Nonstick Covered Straining Saucepan
- Cold Ingredients: Make sure the butter and water are SUPER cold. Cold ingredients, as well as chilling, help the crust keep its shape.
- Apples: You can use any apple variety, but here are my favorites for galettes: granny smith, honeycrisp, pink lady, or fuji.
Keywords: salted caramel apple galette, caramel apple galette