Salted Pistachio Chocolate Chunk Slice and Bake Cookies

Salted pistachio chocolate chunk slice and bake cookies have pistachio chunks, dark chocolate, brown sugar, sea salt, and a crunchy sugar edge. Their upgraded taste and texture puts them above the rest!

pistachio chocolate chunk cookies on a cooling rack

I had plenty of pistachios leftover from my pistachio cake adventuring, I love the combination of dark chocolate and pistachios, and I needed cookies to bring to our neighbor’s backyard party. The pieces fell into place naturally and the result was one of the best cookies I’ve ever made. What makes them so great? Sit back, let’s have a chat.

UNIQUE COOKIE STYLE

These salted pistachio chocolate chunk slice & bake cookies are adapted from my favorite slice & bake cookie base, a cookie I’ve treasured for years. Toasted hazelnut slice & bake cookies started it all (pictured below), then I moved to funfetti slice & bake cookies and dark chocolate orange slice & bake cookies. I even published a chocolate version, a maple walnut version, and a vanilla spice version in Sally’s Cookie Addiction. Yes, I’m in love with the slice & bake cookie.

Want to read more about this unique cookie dough? Here’s where it all started.

stack of pistachio chocolate chunk cookies on a cooling rack

pistachio chocolate chunk cookies

Let’s get back to today’s cookie recipe though. Instead of dunking into chocolate like my typical slice & bake cookies, I added chocolate chunks directly to the cookie dough. I also used all brown sugar for flavor and sweetening, more salt, more vanilla, lots of chopped pistachios, and rolled the cookie dough in coarse sugar and leftover pistachio pieces. They’re not chocolate chip cookies, they’re better.

These Are the BEST Cookies!

• Basic ingredients: sugar, flour, butter, egg
  • There’s no leavener, so the cookies are extra dense inside
  • Very easy, 1 bowl recipe
  • Thick. Thick. Thick.
  • Sweet and salty
  • The texture is unique, similar to shortbread. Crunchy crumbly edges, soft centers
  • So buttery!!
  • Make ahead. Make the dough, roll into logs, chill for up to 5 days, slice and bake when craving hits
  • Pools of melted chocolate

More on that whole pools of melted chocolate thing: use chocolate chunks that you chop up from a chocolate bar. If you’re going to spend money on good chocolate, this recipe is when to do it. Baking chocolate is excellent here; it’s sold right next to the chocolate chips. I like using bittersweet or dark chocolate. Use whatever chocolate you love. The wonderful thing about using pure chocolate is that your warm cookies have soft melted chocolate inside, not chunks of chocolate chips.

2 images of chopped chocolate on a cutting board and cookie dough in a glass bowl

How to Make Slice and Bake Cookies

1. The cookie dough is a little sticky, but you should be able to mold into a ball. Here’s a helpful note: your cookie dough will be too sticky if you started with too-soft butter. Make sure the butter is room temperature, not melted in the slightest. Use my trick for softening butter quickly or set it out (along with the egg!) 1 hour prior to beginning. Butter is ready to use when you can neatly and easily cut a knife through it.
  2. Cut the cookie dough ball in half, shape into 2 logs, roll each log into a mixture of coarse sugar and chopped pistachios, wrap them up in plastic wrap, and chill for 3 hours. Let me explain that. I divide the cookie dough in half and roll into 2 logs so that they’re easier to roll in coarse sugar/pistachios and so they chill faster in the refrigerator.
  3. After chilling, unwrap the cold cookie dough logs and slice cookies. Now they’re ready to bake! Since the cookie dough slices are extremely cold, your cookies won’t overspread in the oven. Sometimes the chocolate chunks are too hard for easy slicing, leaving some empty spots in cookies. Not a problem. My recipe below leaves a few chocolate chunks aside that you can stick back into the sliced cookies.
  4. Next you can break out your freshly cleaned silicone baking mats, arrange 12 cookies onto each baking sheet, and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Then bake!

2 images of cookie dough formed into a ball and 2 logs of cookie dough wrapped in plastic wrap

2 images of sliced cookie dough and a cookie dough log

pistachio chocolate chunk cookies on a baking sheet

Our friends called these “the fancy cookies” and while they definitely have an upgraded taste and texture, they’re not complicated. If you’ve tried my other slice & bake cookies, you know they’re pretty low key.

If I had to chose, I think the crunchy edges would be my favorite part. Buttery, dense, crumbly, salty, sweet, and oh-so-perfect. I guess they really are fancy!

pistachio chocolate chunk cookies on a cooling rack

1. These look soooooo chocolatey! Simply amazing! I love slice and bake cookies ♥

1. Thank you so much Natalie!

2. I have to try these out sometime, they look amazing!!
          And I was wondering if you could try to make a recipe for cream puffs on your blog. They are one of my favorite desserts, and I bet you could make a really amazing version!

3. Aquafresh RO says:

I’ve always loved chocolate and pistachio together and these cookies look baked absolutely perfectly!

1. Thank you so much – a combination I love, too 🙂

4. Shakerah Khan says:

Looks devine. Just a question though in step 1 you said to leave a few chunks of chocolate aside for step 3 but in step 3 it does not state what to do with the chocolate kept aside?

1. Should’ve stated step 4. Thank you for catching that!

5. Any tips for chopping the chocolate? I always struggling with breaking it up so usually avoid recipes with it…

1. If you use a thinner chocolate bar (I love Ghirardelli) it’s much easier to chop!

6. Donna Young says:

OMG! I can’t wait to make these, they sound and look amazing. I can only imagine what they taste like because I’m crazy over both chocolate and pistachios!

1. I hope you love these, Donna! A new favorite in my house for sure 🙂 Happy baking!

7. Such a great combo! Can’t wait to try them. Do you have any tips for making the logs more round rather than rectangular? Yesterday I did your Vanilla Spice ones from your book but I couldn’t get my logs to be round. Btw, they came out delicious!

1. Hi Lou! After you chill the logs, give them another few rolls on the counter. When they’re cold, you can sort of soften those harsher rectangular edges to be rounded.

8. shawnna Griffin says:

hey girl- these cookies look so tasty!

1. Thank you!

9. What a killer combo Sally! you’re reading my mind or something I love pistachios and dark chocolate and of course it’s one of your best cookies creation made by the baking Goddess as yourself , we bow to you 🙂 Maybe I can dip the other half in your chocolate ganache or more melted dark chocolate and get “high” on chocolate and then wash it off with lots and lots of cold milk.

1. Any extra chocolate is always a good idea 😉 Let me know how you like them!! Happy baking!

10. I forgot to say i loove thick cookies.

1. Me too 🙂

11. I bought a bag of pistachios for the cake but now I think they will all be going into these cookies instead – YUM!

1. Hope you love these!!

12. Hi Sally!
    Once you mentioned last week that this recipe would be coming, I was so excited for it! What a happy surprise to see it on a Monday morning! I can’t wait to make these. I love the sentence “pools of melted chocolate.”

1. A Monday with pools of melted chocolate is a very happy Monday indeed 😉 Happy baking, Marilu!

13. I think slice and bake has been my holiday cookie for two years running now…I play with your base recipes all the time. I have some pistachios leftover from holiday baking…this would be a great way to use them. That and a Pound Plus chocolate bar! Yum yum!

14. This looks amazing!!! I will have to try this recipe out!

15. Albert Bevia says:

I love the whole sweet and salty theme on these cookies and those chocolate chunks are simply beautiful…your killing me with all these amazing recipes Sally!!!

16. Oh my goodness! I am so craving one of these right now! These look divine! One can NEVER go wrong with pistachios haha!

17. Melissa Griffiths says:

Ooooh I love sweet and salty cookies. These look incredible!

18. Oh its look yummy I must try this recipe in few days I’m very excited for the results.

19. Ahhh yes! I feel like this is a recipe I’ve been waiting on my whole life! Such a delicious sounding combo

20. Angelina | Baked Ambrosia says:

These look AMAZING! Love the chocolate and pistachio combo!

21. Melissa Howell says:

These look absolutely divine! I love slice and bake cookies, especially your chocolate mint ones from your cookbook! Can’t wait to try these, too! (And your new profile picture is adorable, by the way!)

22. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says:

they look PHENOMENAL!!! ahhh my mouth is watering

23. I love your blog and I make your recipes all the time! Recently, though, I’ve been having some trouble with your cookie recipes (as well as from other blogs/websites). My cookie dough always seems off; even after chilling for hours, my cookies spread all over. I usually have to add a lot of flour, which sometimes ends up in cakey cookies. I live in Panama, and my daily temperature is probably around 80 degrees F with high humidity in the wet season. Could that be part of the problem? I weigh out all the ingredients I use just to be sure but still have problems.

1. Hi Gabby! Yes, temperature has everything to do with it. Do you have a copy of my cookbook Sally’s Cookie Addiction? I have na entire page about avoiding over-spreading there. If not, I have some additional tips here: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2016/07/06/5-tips-improve-next-batch-cookies/

Make sure your butter isn’t too soft before you begin. Since your climate is pretty warm, leave it out for only about 30 minutes before beginning.

24. These look amazing!! Just wondering if I can substitute the AP flour with almond flour instead?

1. Hi Ameera! I don’t recommend it.

25. Made a batch of these for my sister, for Easter. I subbed toasted pecans for hazelnuts, used 70% dark chocolate, and added some toffee bits. Grown-ups cookies, I called them. So delicious, thanks for another great recipe. Looking forward to trying other combos, too.

1. Fancy chocolate chip cookies, right? I’m so glad you tried them!!

26. Hi Sally. I just made the dough for these cookies but I was thrown by the 3 hours minimum chilling time. The top of the recipe states that the total time is 2.5 hours. Just thought I’d let you know!

1. I’m so sorry about that. Let me fix that typo. Thanks for bringing to my attention!

27. Ok Sally. Between your blog and your cookbooks, I have like a million of your recipes on my baking list. Then, you go and post this recipe, and it jumps to the top of my list! I can’t get over how amazing your photos are! Anyways, I made these cookies, one log with dark chocolate (for me) and the other with white chocolate (for the hubby), and they are divine! Just so wonderful! Thank you thank you! 🙂

1. Ooooooh Tina!! Now I need to make them again with white chocolate. Brilliant. I bet it’s so good with the salt flakes on top!

28. Hey there, are you sprinkling with coarse salt before or after baking? I might be missing it in the directions?

Can’t wait to make these!

1. Hi Colleen! I forgot to add it, thank you for catching that! I sprinkle the cookies with sea salt before baking, but you can add a little sea salt after baking instead. Whichever you prefer.

29. Sally please do something about the mobile pop up ads that force me to close out of the page. It’s very difficult to get through the whole page without triggering a pop up ad.

1. Hi Katelyn! We’re aware of the redirect advertisement and are taking care of it. I’m so sorry about it. I know how annoying it is.

30. Dina @ notjustspice.com says:

Yum! Your photo on Instagram made me come here, and I’m glad I did. : )

1. Thank you for stopping by! You need to try these cookies 🙂