One skillet is all you need to create this crispy chicken paired with creamy lemon thyme sauce! I recommend doubling the sauce (all the ingredients used in step 4) if you like lots of extra sauce.
- 4–5 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth (I recommend reduced sodium)
- zest & juice from 1 lemon (about 2 Tbsp juice)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream*
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- optional: lemon slices and more thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- If the chicken breasts are uneven in thickness, pound them down so they’re all even. This way all the breasts will cook through simultaneously. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6-7 minutes, turning once. You want the chicken nice and browned on the outside. (It doesn’t have to be cooked all the way through yet.) Set chicken on a plate and cover tightly with foil until step 5.
- Remove skillet from heat and add the broth, lemon zest & juice, onion, garlic, and thyme. Return to heat. Cook and stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a boil. Allow to boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to around 1/4 cup. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the cream and butter. Stir until butter has melted.
- Add chicken to the sauce and place the skillet in the preheated oven. Bake until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve chicken with sauce spooned on top and any of the listed optional garnishes. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for a few days. Reheat to your liking.
- Milk: You can use whole milk instead, but for the thickest, richest sauce I highly recommend heavy cream. If using whole milk, make sure it is at room temperature to help prevent curdling.
- Adapted from Skillet Chicken with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce.
Keywords: lemon thyme chicken, skillet lemon chicken