Nearly fat free, 131 calorie skinny banana blueberry muffins. You won’t miss all the calories and fat, trust me!
- 2 and 1/2 cup (315g) white whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled), or mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flours
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (85g) honey
- 1/2 cup (100g) loosely packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 large very ripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup (60g) nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt (or any yogurt)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk (I use almond milk, but you can use any kind)
- 1 and 1/4 cup (215g) fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray 15 muffin tins with nonstick spray.* Set aside.
- Gently whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the honey and brown sugar together – it will be thick and lumpy. Try to get out as many lumps as you can. Whisk in the mashed banana, yogurt, and beaten egg. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently begin to fold it all together. It will be very thick. Add the milk slowly and continue to gently mix the ingredients together. The milk will thin everything out, but the batter will still be quite thick. Gently fold in the blueberries. Do not overmix the batter.
- Divide the batter between 15 muffin cups. Fill all the way to the top. Bake the first 12, then the last three in another batch. (Fill the empty muffin cups halfway with water in the 2nd batch to ensure even baking.) Bake muffins for 17-18 minutes OR until very lightly browned on the edges. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack. Allow muffins to cool and enjoy!
- Muffins taste wonderful the next day, like most banana bread recipes because their flavor is enhanced. Muffins remain fresh and moist stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Muffins can be frozen up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm to your liking before serving.
- Liners: Do not use cupcake liners, muffins will stick to liners.
- Nutrition: Each muffin is 131 calories each based on using nonfat vanilla greek yogurt and unsweetened almond milk.
- Adapted from Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Keywords: skinny banana blueberry muffins, healthy banana blueberry muffins