These dessert cupcakes are made with healthier alternatives and ingredients that are convenient and easy. No trips to a specialty grocery store. They are unbelievably fudgy, with subtle banana flavor, and a thick swirl of peanut butter as the frosting. They have 6 grams of protein each; full nutrition information available by visiting a calorie counting website and plugging in the ingredients.
- 2 large *very* ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup – the riper, the better)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, melted
- optional: 1/3 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (191°C). Line a muffin tin with baking cups. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork or use a hand mixer. Mash them very well – no big lumps. Stir in the sugar, egg whites, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Sift* the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Slowly stir in the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Fold in chocolate chips. The batter will be a little chunky.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups – fill them all the way to the top. Take 1 teaspoon of melted peanut butter and spoon it on top of the batter. Swirl it around with a knife or a toothpick. Sprinkle with peanut butter chips. Repeat with all 12 cupcakes.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Yogurt: You can use low fat, nonfat, vanilla, or plain Greek yogurt or regular yogurt.
- Peanut Butter: Natural peanut butter is OK, do not use powdered peanut butter.
- Sift Dry Ingredients: Be sure to sift your dry ingredients together to avoid pockets of cocoa powder lumps. If you have no sifter, whisk the dry ingredients together very well to remove the lumps.
Keywords: healthy chocolate peanut butter swirl cupcakes, healthy cupcakes