Peanut butter, banana, and honey come together in these healthy whole wheat muffins. Chocolate chips are optional, but necessary…
- 2 ripe large bananas, mashed with no chunks (about 1 cup mashed)
- 1/4 cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular yogurt, any flavor/fat content)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or cow’s milk, soy milk, rice milk)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (non-oily natural style is OK)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour (or an even mix of whole wheat + all-purpose) (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- optional: 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips and 1/4 cup melted creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, honey, brown sugar, yogurt, egg, and milk together until combined. Whisk in the peanut butter and vanilla extract until smooth and thick. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips together (if using). Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and lightly whisk until combined. Try not to overstir the muffin batter or your muffins will have a tough (not soft) texture. Stir as little as possible until no flour pockets remain.
- Fill the muffin cups practically all the way to the top. Between 3/4 full and all the way full. See photo above for a visual. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C). Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C) and continue to bake for 12 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Drizzle muffins with melted peanut butter if desired. Muffins stay fresh at room temperature for 3 days.
- Freezing Instructions: Muffins without peanut butter on top freeze well, up to 3 months.
Keywords: peanut butter banana muffins, skinny peanut butter muffins