A healthy, low-fat muffin bursting with juicy raspberries, mashed bananas, and a sprinkle of chocolate chips. No oil or butter, just bananas and Greek yogurt for a moist texture!
- 2 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled), or mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flours
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 large very ripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup nonfat vanilla greek yogurt (or any yogurt)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk (any milk works)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or less, depending on your taste)
- 1 and 3/4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 12-count muffin pan with cooking spray or grease liners (muffins will stick to liners if not greased with a little cooking spray first!). This recipe yields about 15 muffins, so you will have a 2nd batch with only 3 muffins.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the honey and brown sugar together – it will be thick and lumpy. Try to get out as many lumps as you can. Add the mashed banana, yogurt, and beaten egg. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently begin to fold it all together. It will be very thick. Add the milk slowly and continue to gently mix the ingredients together. The milk will thin everything out, but the batter will still remain thick. Fold in the chocolate chips. Fold in the raspberries last. Be very gentle not to dye the batter pink from the raspberry juices. Try to not overmix the batter, which will lend tough, dry muffins.
- Divide the batter between 15 muffin tins. Fill all the way to the top. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top if desired. Bake the first 12, then the last three in another batch. Fill the empty muffin tins halfway with water in the 2nd batch to ensure even baking and prevent your pan from warping. Bake for 17-18 minutes until very lightly browned on the edges. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool until ready to eat.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Muffins stay soft, fresh, and moist in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Muffins freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up (if desired) before enjoying.
- Tip: Do not use cupcake liners, muffins will stick to liners.
Keywords: skinny raspberry banana muffins, raspberry chocolate chip banana muffins