Incredible “lightened-up” chocolate chip muffins with fresh strawberries. Nearly fat-free and only 140 calories each!
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce*
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2/3 cup diced strawberries
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and applesauce together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the beaten egg white until fully incorporated. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula or large wooden spoon until *just* combined – do not overmix. Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between 10 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Muffins will be lightly golden in color and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean. Mine take about 17 minutes. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack. Allow muffins to cool and enjoy!
- Muffins remain fresh and moist stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Muffins can be frozen up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm to your liking before serving.
- Applesauce: In place of applesauce try– 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons mashed banana, 1/2 cup melted coconut oil, 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons yogurt– I suggest strawberry or vanilla flavored yogurt.
Keywords: strawberry chocolate muffins