Homemade sky high apple pie muffins are soft, fluffy, and full of good-for-you ingredients like whole oats, fresh apples, and white whole wheat flour!
Oat Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 Tablespoons old-fashioned whole rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any dairy or nondairy milk)
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plain or apple-flavored yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce*
- 2 large eggs
- 2 heaping cups chopped apple (peeled or not peeled—your choice)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Prepare oat streusel topping by mixing everything together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Prepare the muffins: In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the milk, sugars, yogurt, applesauce, and eggs. Whisk wet ingredients into the flour mixture, mixing until *just combined* – do not over-mix. Gently fold in the apples.
- Spoon the batter into 12 lined muffin cups, making sure each one is filled to the very top. Lightly press a heaping spoonful of oat streusel into the tops of each muffin.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C), then immediately reduce the oven temperature to 375°F (191°C) and bake for another 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover leftover muffins tightly and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Freezing Instructions: Muffins may be frozen, up to 2-3 months.
- Applesauce: The unsweetened applesauce gives these muffins moisture- just as oil would – without the added fat. Feel free to use vegetable oil instead of applesauce.
- Yogurt: In my muffins, I used Chobani 0% Apple Cinnamon flavor. If you can’t find an apple flavored yogurt, plain or vanilla yogurt would work as well.
Keywords: apple pie muffins