Strawberry Pomegranate Sangria

A cheery and bright red wine sangria filled with strawberry and pomegranate.

strawberry pomegranate sangria in glasses with straws

CHEERS! We’re here. The Friday before Christmas. I have no clue where this past month went. Oh, that’s right. I spent most of it holed up in my kitchen baking the world cookies and toffee and cupcakes. When I finally took a break from butter and sugar and frosting, I made a pitcher of this sangria for date night. Date nights are still going strong! It feels good to forget about technology one night a week. Says a full-time blogger who even has an IG account for her dog. Typical.

We drank an embarrassing amount of this ourselves as we put up our tree. Merry Christmas indeed!

strawberry pomegranate sangria in a glass

If you’re looking to entertain these last couple weeks of the year and not just drink at home by yourself – that’s ok too – then you have to try this sweet, yet tart sangria. It’s perfectly fruity and festive and uses two of my favorite fruits.

The sangria was much better than I expected it to be. Sure, I knew it would be tasty because I love all things wine (hello sign that I need), but the sweet strawberries paired with pomegranate juice and my favorite pinot noir? Magical. It tastes like sparkling pomegranate juice with strawberry.

Here’s the pinot noir I use. And no, this brand has no idea I exist. But if they’re reading… hi… I love your wine. I find it everywhere, it’s inexpensive, smooth, and tasty on its own.

bottles of red wine on a wood counter

You don’t have to use pinot noir. If you’re more of a Cabernet drinker or if a Spanish red like Tempranillo is your sangria wine of choice – you may absolutely use one of those instead. If white wine is your favorite, that’s a great option too. However, keep in mind that a sweeter white wine, such as Reisling, may make the sangria a little too sweet. I use red because I find it pairs well with pomegranate. But play around with what you like; this sangria recipe is very forgiving.

Not Something I love about sangria is that it feels fancy, but it’s one of the easiest big-batch cocktails you can throw together. And sangria always impresses! Only 5 ingredients total: strawberries, pomegranate arils (the juicy seeds), pom juice, wine, and club soda. The club soda is key! Kevin and I found that the sangria was a little… dull… without it. The POP of club soda really brightens the whole glass up. I would avoid sweetened fizzy drinks like tonic or sprite; the sangria may be a little too sweet with it. Make sure you add the club soda right before serving because it will lose its fizz otherwise.

You can use any variety of pomegranate juice you can find. The most easily available pom juice is POM Wonderful pomegranate juice. They don’t know I exist either. I see this stuff everywhere and it’s really, really good. I know that Ocean Spray makes a cranberry pomegranate juice which would be just as tasty too.

overhead image of strawberry pomegranate sangria in a glass on top of a charcuterie board

My #1 sangria tip: Sangria gets better and better as it sits, so make it ahead of time. That’s the beauty of this cocktail! The more time the strawberries and teeny tiny arils have to infuse their juices, the better. I usually make sangria in the morning before I need it in the evening. You can make it the night before, too. If pouring wine at 6am isn’t your ideal way to start the day. (Uh, why not???)

My favorite part about this sangria is eating the wine infused strawberries when you’re all done. Strawberry pomegranate sangria is the merry little drink that keeps on giving.

strawberry pomegranate sangria in glasses with straws

After a long week, I can’t think of anything better. Holidays, strawberries, wine.

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon facebook facebook icon print print icon squares squares icon heart heart icon heart solid heart solid icon
strawberry pomegranate sangria in glasses with straws

Strawberry Pomegranate Sangria

• Author: Sally
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 0 minutes
  • Total Time: 6-24 hours
  • Yield: serves 8
  • Category: Drinks
  • Cuisine: Spanish

Description

A cheery and bright red wine sangria filled with strawberry and pomegranate.

Ingredients

• 1 lb strawberries, sliced plus more for garnish
  • arils (the seeds) from 1 pomegranate
  • 2 (750ml) bottles red wine*
  • 2 cups pomegranate juice*
  • club soda, to taste
  • optional: granulated sugar, honey, or agave to sweeten

Instructions

1. Place the sliced strawberries and arils in a large pitcher. Add wine and pomegranate juice. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for 6 – 24 hours. Taste; if you’d like it to be sweeter, add 1-2 Tablespoons granulated sugar, honey, or agave.
  2. Pour the sangria with fruit into glasses and add a splash of club soda to each glass (this unsweetened fizz is excellent with the sangria!). Garnish with a strawberry, if desired. Feel free to add ice to your glasses of sangria. Do not add ice directly to the pitcher – this waters the sangria down. Which, clearly, we don’t want! Cheers.

Notes

1. Brandy: Traditional sangria often includes brandy, but I did not care for its addition in this sangria. If you’d like to add some, go ahead.
  2. Red Wine: Use your favorite red wine. I like to use Pinot Noir or a Spanish red wine like Tempranillo. I prefer red wine in this sangria. However, if white wine is your favorite, that’s a great option too. Keep in mind that a sweeter white wine, such as Reisling, may make the sangria a little too sweet.
  3. Pomegranate Juice: The most easily available pom juice is POM Wonderful pomegranate juice; I see it all the time in grocery stores. I know that Ocean Spray makes a cranberry pomegranate juice which would be just as tasty

Keywords: strawberry pomegranate sangria, pomegranate sangria

1. Ooh, something to go with all those cookies you’ve been baking! I’m sensing cookies for dinner washed down with sangria. At least, that’s what I would want to do tonight!

2. Lovely eye popping color, red for Christmas! Will wear my red sweater before sipping this though, don’t want to stain it, you know?! Ha. Pomegranates are the best! And strawberries of course.

1. Good thinking Sarah. I like where your mind’s at!

3. Pretty food. Pretty drinks. You got us covered Sally. I recently learned those little seeds are called arils and now I’m always learning to show off my newfound knowledge. How dorky can I get? I like the cheese and crackers in your photos. This would be a great for guests.

1. Hey, food knowledge is COOL. =)

4. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness says:

UMM…how did you KNOW that I just bought pomegranates and strawberries and needed a beverage to bring on a romantic weekend getaway with my hubs tomorrow?! I LOVE the flavours here, and the color is gorgeous! Pinned!

1. Ahhh have a fun weekend Taylor!

5. I have about a bazillion strawberries to use this week and I’ve been trying to decide how. This is perfect!

6. The Squishy Monster says:

This is such a perfect, fun, and festive drink!!

7. Melanie @ Carmel Moments says:

Wow, Sally! That is one gorgeous looking drink! I’ve definitely got to get me some pomegranate juice!

Happy Friday!

8. Averie @ Averie Cooks says:

This looks incredible and I’d be happy to have some! And then quite a few refills 🙂

I love the color, so festive and I bet the pom juice and the strawberries and the wine are all just perfect together!

9. At 12 weeks pregnant, this post is pure torture! I am soo going to miss fun (alcoholic) holiday drinks this Christmas. Guess I will just have to remember this for next year!

1. Becky! You can totally still make something like this. More pom juice, a little extra club soda, and all the yummy fruit. Merry Christmas and congratulations!

10. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking and More says:

I’ve never been a fan of sangria, but this one looks outstanding and with strawberries being my favorite, this is definitely something I’ll have to try!

11. I don’t know which I want to try more. The cocktail or the red velvet cupcake. I love me some good sangria and I’m almost afraid to make this one. I might drink a tad too much of it;)

1. It’s hard to stop pouring glass after glass because it tastes like juice!

12. What a great looking recipe! I think I will have a bowl of infused fruits ready also, so each glass gets a good amount of yummies.

13. If I wanted to make this as a mock sangria (without the wine), do you have any suggestions for types of juice to use, or should I just use extra pomegranate juice?

1. Hmm. Well, it would really just be slightly fizzy pomegranate juice. How about a “spritzer” of sorts. Just use a little more pom juice, let sit with the sliced strawberries and pom arils in a large pitcher, and then add half of this with half club soda or sprite to your wine glasses (plus the fruit). Maybe add thinly sliced oranges too for a little more flavor.

14. LaVonne Hegland says:

Thanks so much for a new sangria recipe to try for Christmas!!! Also love the amount of detail you go to in your recipes! And appreciate that you name the kind of red wine you are using-it can make a difference in the end result for sure!!!! I subscribe to quite a few food blogs but you are one of the first I check in my email!! And I bought your cookbook-Merry Christmas to me!!! Terrific job!

1. Thank you LaVonne! Merry Christmas to you and enjoy my book!

15. Jenna at Boston Chic Party says:

Sounds and looks delicious! I love anything with pomegranates! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas! xoxo

16. You brighten up my inbox (especially when you post recipes with wine..that honeycrisp sangria was the centerpiece of my Thanksgiving!) and I want to be best friends, please. 😉

17. You had me at pomegranate! I only tried pomegranates for the first time three years ago and it was love at first bite. Anything pomegranate is yummy. I even throw them into salads. I can’t wait to make this sangria for the holiday season. Another new family tradition in the making. Thanks for a great recipe.

18. This is total love! I was looking for something to add to our Christmas menu…this is such a great idea. We drank some yucky sangria recently and determined to make my own. Thanks for the perfect recipe for it 😀 can’t wait to try

19. Samantha @FerraroKitchen says:

I’m addicted to pomegranates in the winter..and I usually pair with pear (ha..I just realized that..lol) Love the addition of strawberry! 🙂

20. Christina @ The Beautiful Balance says:

This is magical and I’m instantly snubbing my Christmas-decorating-frenzy because it did not include this sangria like yours did! Oh well, next year…or tonight…haha

21. Cheers to sangria! The best drink ever! My favorite part is those boozy fruits. I need a glass of that now. 🙂

22. Jennifer @ Show Me the Yummy says:

I am a sucker for all things sangria 😉 Love the photos, too!

23. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says:

Yummy! I am making an orange pom sangria for a party tomorrow.

1. Sounds delish!

24. I need about an entire pitcher of this right meow. The holiday stress which shouldn’t be stressful but somehow it ends up being stressful anyway. Can’t we all just get along and drink sangria? I mean, really. That’s all I want. Haha! I think I love all sangrias because they are just so pretty. I love getting a glass at a restaurant and all of the bright fruits just make me happy.

1. You typed “meow” instead of “now.” You’re the best Laur. =) laughing so loud right now.

25. Chineka @ Savor The Baking says:

This is one beautiful drink Sally. I don’t know where this year went either. It seems like we were just celebrating July 4th.

26. Stacey @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. says:

That is the prettiest drink I’ve ever seen! I LOVE sangria, it’s pretty much the only drink I ever order at a restaurant, although I will admit, I always go for the white sangria, not the red! But this looks so bright and colourful that I might have to try the red for a change. Yep, I’ll make something just cause it’s pretty! 🙂

1. You have to try the red, Stacey! I think you’ll like it.

27. should I freeze the strawbs? because it’s hot here in summer.

ailyn

28. Shiran @ Pretty. Simple. Sweet. says:

What a gorgeous looking sangria, Sally! My favorite coffee shop near my house sells hot sangria that I absolutely love, and since I happen to have red wine (and strawberries) on hand, you’ve just inspired me to make my own! Thank you!

1. A warm sangria sounds so good especially in the colder months!

29. Purabi Naha | Cosmopolitan Currymania says:

Sally, this Sangria is just perfect for Christmas. Besides, I love pomegranate and strawberries a lot, so I am going to make this very soon.
    Merry Christmas in advance!

30. ashley - baker by nature says:

Gorgeous photos, Sally! These cheerful bright (boozy!) drinks are just what my Monday morning needed.

1 2