100% homemade strawberry shortcake in cupcake form.
- 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg whites*
- 1/4 cup (62g) yogurt (Greek or regular yogurt; vanilla or plain)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk*
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- optional: seeds scraped from 1/2 split vanilla bean
- 2 cups diced strawberries (about 10 medium strawberries finely diced)
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (16g) cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons warm water to rid clumps
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons (43g) granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- reserved 1/2 cup of strawberry filling
- Make the strawberry filling first: Place the strawberries in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for about 4 full minutes until the strawberry juices have been released. Add the sugar and cornstarch/water liquid and continue to stir for another 2 minutes. The mixture will be much thicker. Remove from heat and allow to cool as you prepare the cupcakes.
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Stir in sugar – mixture will be gritty. Stir in egg whites, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Split 1 vanilla bean down the middle lengthwise. Scrape seeds from half of the vanilla bean into batter.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Fill the cupcakes: Using a sharp knife, cut a circle/hole into the center of the cupcake to create a little pocket about 1/2 inch deep. Place 1 teaspoon of strawberry filling inside and top with the piece of cupcake you removed to seal. See photos above. Repeat with all 12 cupcakes. You will have leftover filling to use in the whipped cream.
- Make the strawberry whipped cream: In a large bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form, about 4-5 full minutes. Add the remaining strawberry filling and continue to beat for another 30 seconds. Frost the cupcakes with the strawberry whipped cream. You may have some whipped cream leftover. Serve cupcakes chilled.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Cupcakes can be made ahead 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature. Whipped cream and filling can also be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. Leftover cupcakes keep well covered tightly in the refrigerator for 3 days. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Egg Yolk: Have an extra egg yolk? Make these!
- Milk: Recipe tested with unsweetened almond milk and also with skim milk. Use any milk, dairy or non, that you prefer.
- Be sure to check out my 10 tips for baking the BEST cupcakes before you begin!
Keywords: strawberry shortcake cupcakes