Warm strawberry vanilla crisp with buttery crunchy brown sugar oat streusel and vanilla ice cream on top. A snap to prepare this summer!
- 5 cups (900g) chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup (31g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 2/3 cup (133g) light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (85g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons (86g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2/3 cup (65g) old-fashioned rolled oats (or quick oats)
- optional: 1/2 cup (55g) sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Lightly grease a 9-inch baking dish (circle or square or any similar size pan). Set aside.
- Make the filling: Combine chopped strawberries with the flour, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and vanilla beans in a large bowl. Toss gently until combine. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Make the topping: Whisk the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt together. Make sure to get out all those brown sugar lumps. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut in the butter until the mixture resembled coarse pea-sized crumbs. (A fork works for this too!) Mix in the oats, then evenly sprinkle topping over strawberries. Top with almonds, if using.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the strawberry juices are bubbling around the edges. Remove from the oven, place on a wire rack, and allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold. Cover leftovers and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Baked crisp freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then warm in a 350°F (177°C) for 20 minutes or until heated through. I do not suggest preparing the crisp and storing it, unbaked, in the refrigerator. The topping will get soggy. You can, however, prepare the crisp through step 3 and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then continue with step 4.
- Strawberries: Frozen chopped strawberries work too! No need to thaw.
Keywords: strawberry crisp