Decadent dark chocolate fudge brownies loaded with chocolate covered pretzels and topped with chocolate chips and sea salt.
- 10 Tablespoons (150g) unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons (72g) unsweetened cocoa powder, I used Hershey’s Special Dark
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (63g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 and 1/4 cups chopped chocolate covered pretzels*
- 1/3 cup (60g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished brownies out.
- Melt the butter, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl in the microwave. Melt in 30 second increments and stir after each time until the butter is completely melted. The mixture will look gritty. Set aside for a few minutes as you get the other ingredients ready. You don’t want the mixture to be piping hot.
- Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition. The batter will be thick and look shiny. Add the flour, beating with a whisk until fully combined. Try not to overmix the batter at this point. The batter will be very, very thick. Gently fold the chocolate covered pretzels into the batter, leaving a few to sprinkle on top. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. You may need to pat down the batter with your fingers to get it smooth. Scatter the chocolate chips and reserved chocolate covered pretzel pieces on top. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes and check the brownies for doneness. Insert a toothpick inserted in the center. If it comes out with only a few crumbs, the brownies are done. Bake for 3-5 minutes if the brownies look too liquidy. Do not bake over 30 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares. Brownies remain soft and fresh stored in an airtight container for up to 7 days. They won’t last that long, trust me!
- Pretzels: You may use store-bought chocolate covered pretzels, homemade chocolate covered pretzels, or regular pretzels without chocolate.
Keywords: chocolate pretzel brownies, brownies with pretzels