Simply homemade chocolate cupcakes topped with thick & creamy mint chocolate chip frosting.
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 1/2 cup (41g) unsweetened natural or dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/3 cups (166g) all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3–4 cups (360-480g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) heavy cream*
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (or more, see recipe instructions)
- 2 drops green food coloring
- salt, to taste
- 2/3 cup (120g) mini chocolate chips
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners. This recipe makes about 14 cupcakes, so line another pan with 2 muffin liners. (Or wait to do so until the first pan of cupcakes has has finished baking and cooling.)
- Over high heat, boil the water in a small saucepan. Pour the unsweetened cocoa powder into a medium sized bowl and mix with boiling water until smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature by placing in the refrigerator as you prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat only until *just* combined. In a steady stream, add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin tin 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake for 16-19 minutes, keeping an eye on them to avoid even the slightest burning (which will lend dry cupcakes). My cupcakes took 17 minutes and a toothpick inserted in the middle came out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric mixer. Beat for about 30-60 seconds until smooth and creamy. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar, cream, peppermint extract, and food coloring. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin (up to 4 cups) or more cream if mixture is too thick. Add salt if the frosting is too sweet. You may also add more food coloring if desired or more peppermint extract if it is not minty enough. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you use on each cupcake. Makes 14 cupcakes. Cupcakes taste best the day of or 1 day after they are made. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Special Tools (affiliate links): 12-Count Muffin Pan | Cupcake Liners | Electric Mixer (Handheld or Stand) | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Icing Spatula
- Heavy Cream: Replacing the heavy cream in the frosting with milk or half-and-half will result in a less creamy consistency.
- Cake: You my make these cupcakes into a 9-inch cake, filling the pan halfway full, and then using any extra batter for cupcakes. I am unsure of the exact baking time for this cake – it will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Be sure to check out my 10 tips for baking the BEST cupcakes before you begin!
Keywords: mint chocolate cupcakes