Made with pure pumpkin, whole wheat flour, and extra cinnamon spice, these mini cinnamon sugar pumpkin muffins are a cross between a muffin and a donut. Baked in a mini muffin pan and never fried!
- 1 and 3/4 cups (219g) whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp; 56g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (170g) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp; 56g) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 24-count mini muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter and brown sugar together. Add the egg, vanilla extract, pumpkin puree, and milk and whisk to combine. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then whisk until just combined. Avoid over-mixing. Batter is thick.
- Using a small spoon, spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, place the pan on a wire rack, and allow mini muffins to cool in the pan until ready to coat.
- While the muffins are cooling, prep the coating. Combine the sugar and cinnamon a small bowl. Once the muffins are relatively cool, dip into the melted butter and then roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Cover and store mini muffins at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Coated or plain mini pumpkin muffins freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then heat up in the microwave (if desired) before enjoying.
- Special Tools (affiliate links): 24-count Mini Muffin Pan | Glass Mixing Bowls | Whisk | Cooling Rack
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: You can find pumpkin pie spice in the baking aisle of most grocery stores or make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice. If you don’t have either and want to use individual spices, use 1/2 teaspoon each: ground allspice and ground ginger AND 1/4 teaspoon each: ground nutmeg and ground cloves. This is in addition to the 1 teaspoon of cinnamon—you will still add that.
- Regular Size Muffins: Makes 12-14 regular size muffins. Line a 12-count muffin pan with liners or spray with nonstick spray. Fill muffin cups all the way to the top with batter. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C), then keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce temperature to 350°F (177°C) and bake for an additional 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total times these muffins take in the oven is about 20-21 minutes. The initial high temperature helps create tall muffin tops. You’ll love it!
Keywords: mini pumpkin muffins, mini cinnamon sugar pumpkin muffins