Get inspired with these easy and beautiful pie crust designs! Homemade pie has never looked so stunning on the dessert table.
- Homemade pie crust (my recipe makes 2 crusts; 1 for bottom 1 for lattice top)
- all-purpose flour, as needed for rolling dough
- Roll out the bottom crust: On a floured work surface, roll out one of the discs of chilled dough (keep the other one in the refrigerator). Turn the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. Spoon the filling into the crust and place in the refrigerator while you work on the lattice.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the second half of pie dough into a 12-inch circle. Pie dough is easiest to work with when it’s cold, so if the dough has softened too much as you work– place any rolled-out pieces on a baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator or freezer for a couple minutes.
- Design the lattice: Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips– the width is up to you. I usually cut them 1/2-inch – 1-inch wide for a traditional lattice top. Remove the pie from the refrigerator. Lay out 6-8 parallel strips of pie dough (depending how thick you cut them) on top of the filling with about 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch space between them. Fold back every other strip, then place another strip perpendicular to the strips. Unfold the folded strips over the perpendicular strip. This is the start of your woven lattice.
- Fold the parallel strips that are underneath the perpendicular strip back over the perpendicular strip. Place a 2nd perpendicular strip down. Unfold the parallel strips over the 2nd strip. Continue this process, weaving the strips over and under.
- Fold the edges of the strips back onto the pie. Crimp or flute the edges to secure the strips with the bottom pie crust.
- The next step is written out in all of my pie recipes, but a reminder is always helpful. Brush the unbaked pie crust with an egg wash, sprinkle with coarse sugar, and chill in the refrigerator as the oven preheats. Remember, keep everything cold prior to baking. Have fun!
Keywords: pie crust