100% homemade strawberry shortcake in cupcake form.
- 1 and 2/3 cups (209g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 egg whites*
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream or plain yogurt (Greek or regular yogurt)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk*
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- optional: seeds scraped from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 2 cups diced strawberries (about 10 medium strawberries finely diced)
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (16g) cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons warm water to rid clumps
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons (43g) granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- reserved 1/2 cup of strawberry filling
- Make the strawberry filling first: Place the strawberries in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for about 4 full minutes until the strawberry juices have been released. Add the sugar and cornstarch/water liquid and continue to stir for another 2 minutes. The mixture will be much thicker. Remove from heat and allow to cool as you prepare the cupcakes.
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugar together – mixture will be gritty. Whisk in egg whites, sour cream/yogurt, milk, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds (if using) until combined.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Fill the cupcakes: Using a sharp knife, cut a circle/hole into the center of the cupcake to create a little pocket about 1/2 inch deep. Spoon 1 teaspoon of strawberry filling inside and top with the piece of cupcake you removed to seal. Repeat with all cupcakes. You will have leftover filling to use in the whipped cream.
- Make the strawberry whipped cream: In a large bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form, about 4 full minutes. Fold in the remaining strawberry filling with a large spoon or rubber spatula. Frost the cupcakes with the strawberry whipped cream. You may have some whipped cream leftover. Serve cupcakes chilled.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Cupcakes can be made ahead 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature. Whipped cream and filling can also be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. Leftover cupcakes keep well covered tightly in the refrigerator for 3 days. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Milk: Recipe tested with unsweetened almond milk and also with whole milk. Any milk, dairy or non, would be fine here.
- Be sure to check out my 10 tips for baking the BEST cupcakes before you begin.
Keywords: strawberry shortcake cupcakes