Soft-baked graham cracker cookie bars with butterscotch, coconut, chocolate, and pecans. An ultimate version of the classic magic bar/hello dolly bar.
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 cup (100g) graham cracker crumbs (9 graham crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (175g) butterscotch chips
- 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini, but regular size is OK)
- 3/4 cup (50-60g) shredded sweetened coconut*
- 1/2 cup (70g) chopped pecans*
- 8 ounces sweetened condensed milk (not the full can)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on the sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using handheld or stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed. Beat for about 2 minutes until smooth and combined. Add the vanilla extract and egg, beating until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl down as needed.
- Add the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer running on low, slowly mix until combined, then beat in the butterscotch chips. Press graham cracker dough into the prepared baking pan and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and layer with chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly on top. (Remember, not the full can. 8 ounces is a little more than 1/2 of a 14 ounce standard can.) I sprinkled a couple more butterscotch chips on top, but that’s optional.
- Bake the bars until set, about 30 minutes. I loosely covered the pan with aluminum foil halfway through baking to prevent browning. Make sure you rotate the pan a couple times during the bake time as well. Allow to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature and then stick in the refrigerator to cool all the way through. Once the bottom of the pan is cold, you may cut the bars into squares.
- Bars stay fresh at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Bars can be frozen for up to 3 months– thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Coconut: Different brands of coconut weigh different amounts. I used store-brand sweetened shredded and 3/4 cup was 55g.
- Pecans: If you don’t like nuts, leave them out! Replace with more butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, or coconut. Play around with the amounts of add-ins you like. These bars are very forgiving.
Keywords: magic cookie bars, ultimate magic cookie bars