Fudgy brownie cupcakes topped with creamy peanut butter frosting.
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 5 Tablespoons (71g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Make the cupcakes: Melt butter in the microwave in a large microwave safe bowl. Mix in the sugar until smooth and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir the mixture until smooth again. Whisk in the vanilla and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together the salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, and flour. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and stir until completely combined.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake in the prepared muffin tin for about 8-10 minutes (mine took a little under 9 minutes). Allow to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: Using an electric handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat softened butter on medium speed for 1 minute until completely smooth and creamy. Add the peanut butter and beat on medium-high speed until the two are combined. Add the confectioners’ sugar, cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat on low speed for about 20 seconds, then gradually increase to high speed. Beat on high for 1 minute. Frost cooled cupcakes. Top with chocolate sprinkles, if desired.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Cupcakes can be made ahead 1 day in advance, covered, and stored at room temperature. Frosting can also be made 1 day in advance, covered, and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. Decorate/assemble cupcakes immediately before serving. Leftover cupcakes keep well covered tightly at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3 days. Frosted or unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- Special Tools (affiliate links): 12-cup Muffin Pan | Cupcake Liners | Glass Mixing Bowl | Whisk | Electric Mixer (Handheld or Stand) | Piping Bags (Disposable or Reusable) | Wilton 1M Piping Tip
- Boxed Mix: You could easily use boxed brownie mix as a shortcut, but you would need to adjust the frosting accordingly since the peanut butter frosting recipe below only makes enough for 10-12 cupcakes.
- Quantity: Depending on how full you fill the muffin tins, you could get anywhere from 8-12 cupcakes. I fill mine about 2/3 full.
Keywords: fudge cupcakes, fudge cupcakes with peanut butter frosting