A step by step tutorial for how to make stuffed crust pizza at home! Use my easy homemade pizza crust and shortcut for stuffing with cheese.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust*
- 7 string cheeses, unwrapped*
- 1/2 cup (127g) pizza sauce, or more depending how much you like (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (6oz or 168g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- big handful pepperoni (or any other toppings you like)
- optional: Italian seasoning blend or dried basil for sprinkling on top
- Prepare the pizza dough through step 5, including preheating the oven to 475°F (246°C) as described in step 4.
- Lift the edge of the dough up to create a lip around the edges. Arrange the string cheese around the edges of the crust, leaving a 3/4 inch space. Fold the edges of the dough over the string cheese, pinching down to seal. Do your best to completely seal the string cheeses inside. Let the dough rest for a couple minutes if you’re having trouble sealing it completely.
- Top with pizza sauce, the mozzarella cheese, then the pepperoni. Sprinkle lightly with seasoning.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbling. For the last minute, I move the oven rack to the top rack to really brown the edges. That’s optional. Remove from the oven. Slice pizza and serve immediately.
- Store leftover pizza covered tightly in the refrigerator and reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices can be frozen up to 1 month.
- Make Ahead Instructions: See homemade pizza crust recipe for how to make ahead and freeze the pizza dough.
- Special Tools: KitchenAid Stand Mixer | Dough Hook | Pizza Crisper Pan | Pizza Stone
- Pizza Crust: That pizza crust recipe makes 2 pizzas. You can freeze the other half of dough or make 2 pizzas. Double all of the topping/string cheese in this recipe if making 2 pizzas.
- Cheese: Instead of string cheese, you can try piling a ring of shredded mozzarella around the dough or half slices of fresh mozzarella. String cheese is easiest; it’s the perfect size and shape.
- Whole Wheat Pizza Crust: Feel free to use my whole wheat pizza crust recipe instead. You’ll have to halve the whole wheat pizza dough recipe to make only 1 pizza crust.
- Reference my Baking with Yeast Guide for answers to common yeast FAQs.
Keywords: stuffed crust pizza, pizza