Stuffed Crust Pizza is really easy to make at home using a little extra cheese and my pizza crust recipe. Skip the pizza delivery tonight because homemade tastes even better!
And for this month’s savory recipe: we’re going ALL IN. And by that I mean cheese ALL INSIDE pizza crust.
Today I’m showing you how to make real deal stuffed crust pizza, a recipe that will test every ounce of your self control. We’re using my trusty homemade pizza dough and some basic pizza toppings, but feel free to go hog wild. Hawaiian pizza or BBQ chicken pizza would be A+ with this stuffed pizza crust!
Are you a pizza crust person? Pizza would be nothing without its crust foundation and today’s recipe is for crust people. But if you’re not really a crust person, you’ve gotta be a cheese person. Don’t fret because today’s recipe is for cheese people too.
What a weird sentence…?
Let’s get started.
How to Make Stuffed Crust Pizza
Stuffed crust pizza begins with pizza dough. Now you can definitely use store-bought here, but I urge you to give homemade pizza crust a try. I have both a regular pizza dough recipe and a whole wheat pizza dough recipe. You can use either for this stuffed crust pizza. This dough is super stretchy and soft, which is exactly the kind you need for assembling a stuffed pizza crust.
Shortcut alert! Use string cheese. I know it sounds weird, but I swear by this little hack. The perfect shape, width, and texture for creating those melty cheese pockets inside the pizza crust. If string cheese isn’t your thing, create thin piles of shredded mozzarella or cut fresh mozzarella into thin pieces to line around the edges.
But again, string cheese is the easiest. You’ll need 7 of them.
My #1 Tip for Stuffed Crust Pizza
Here’s the part that can make or break your stuffed crust pizza. Make sure you tuck it into the crust super tight– like I’m doing above. Fold the edges over the crust and firmly press down to seal shut. Any gaps won’t necessarily be a problem, but the cheese will melt out onto the pizza and not stay inside the crust. Just keep working with it to make sure the edges are folded over and snug shut.
The only things breaking open that cheesy stuffed crust are a pizza cutter and your big giant bite! And yes, it really is this easy to create stuffed crust pizza at home.
Because of the string cheese, the pizza won’t really be perfectly round. Rather, more like a heptagon with 7 sides. I haven’t heard any complaints though… it’s stuffed crust pizza. 😉
A step by step tutorial for how to make stuffed crust pizza at home! Use my easy homemade pizza crust and shortcut for stuffing with cheese.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust*
- 7 string cheeses, unwrapped*
- 1/2 cup (127g) pizza sauce, or more depending how much you like (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (6oz or 168g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- big handful pepperoni (or any other toppings you like)
- optional: Italian seasoning blend or dried basil for sprinkling on top
- Prepare the pizza dough through step 5, including preheating the oven to 475°F (246°C) as described in step 4.
- Lift the edge of the dough up to create a lip around the edges. Arrange the string cheese around the edges of the crust, leaving a 3/4 inch space. Fold the edges of the dough over the string cheese, pinching down to seal. Do your best to completely seal the string cheeses inside. Let the dough rest for a couple minutes if you’re having trouble sealing it completely.
- Top with pizza sauce, the mozzarella cheese, then the pepperoni. Sprinkle lightly with seasoning.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbling. For the last minute, I move the oven rack to the top rack to really brown the edges. That’s optional. Remove from the oven. Slice pizza and serve immediately.
- Store leftover pizza covered tightly in the refrigerator and reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices can be frozen up to 1 month.
- Make Ahead Instructions: See homemade pizza crust recipe for how to make ahead and freeze the pizza dough.
- Special Tools: KitchenAid Stand Mixer | Dough Hook | Pizza Crisper Pan | Pizza Stone
- Pizza Crust: That pizza crust recipe makes 2 pizzas. You can freeze the other half of dough or make 2 pizzas. Double all of the topping/string cheese in this recipe if making 2 pizzas.
- Cheese: Instead of string cheese, you can try piling a ring of shredded mozzarella around the dough or half slices of fresh mozzarella. String cheese is easiest; it’s the perfect size and shape.
- Whole Wheat Pizza Crust: Feel free to use my whole wheat pizza crust recipe instead. You’ll have to halve the whole wheat pizza dough recipe to make only 1 pizza crust.
Keywords: stuffed crust pizza, pizza