Strawberry Swirl Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars.

It’s Friday! TGIF. My weekends lately have been an extension of my work week. Bake, cookbook, blog, run, play with Jude, repeat. But this weekend we have plans to go out Saturday night. And I’m so excited, so I made cheesecake bars to celebrate.

Because why not?!

Growing up, my mom would make an impressive chocolate chip cheesecake during the holidays. It was so decadent! So rich! So perfect. I took her idea, swirled in a little strawberry jam (who doesn’t love strawberry and chocolate?!), and made fancy (yet simple!) cheesecake bars. They’re the best lazy-Friday kind of dessert. 😉

Sometimes I’d rather make a big pan of cheesecake bars instead of an actual cheesecake.  It takes much less effort, less ingredients, and less time to whip up a pan of these cheesecake bars than to make its cheesecakey cousin.

Dessert bars are also non-committal.  Have a small one, a big one, have two, have three. Plus, they are finger food. No extra forks to wash. Less dishes is always a win in my book!

To make the bars, I simply used the same basic idea as my Snickers Cheesecake Bars. I whipped up a quick homemade graham cracker crust. Graham cracker crumbs, some sugar, and melted butter.  Nothing more, nothing less. The graham cracker crust is nice and crunchy, which is a fabulous contrast to the creamy dreamy cheesecake. Layer a few chocolate chips on top of the crust before the filling.

The basic cheesecake filling is beyond simple. 4 ingredients – that’s it!  Softened cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla extract.  Beat it all together until nice and smooth and pour it evenly over the chocolate chips.  Make sure it is nice and smooth.

But that’s not all! Swirl 1/4 cup of strawberry jam into the filling before baking.  Sometimes I use 1/4 cup, sometimes 1/3 cup.  It’s up to you and how much swirl you want.  If you’d like to make your own jam, you could use 1/4 cup of the strawberry filling from my Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes instead.

One more layer.  Sprinkle a few chocolate chips onto the swirled cheesecake before baking.  In my world, there is always room for more chocolate.  Especially when strawberries are involved. I love everything about chocolate and strawberries together!

So you have five easy layers worked into these cheesecake bars.  Crunchy graham cracker crust, chocolate chips, creamy cheesecake, strawberry swirl, more chocolate chips.  It’s complete texture contrast paradise for all you texture freaks out there.

Bake the bars for 30-35 minutes. Waiting for these babies to chill before digging in is torture. If you cut into them too early, the bars will fall apart. Just warning you now!

Creamy cheesecake swirled with strawberries and dotted with chocolate chips. These bars are so much easier than making an entire cheesecake! The festive strawberry swirl makes these bars completely appropriate for the 4th of July holiday.  Christmas and Valentine’s Day, too.  But you truly don’t need a holiday as an excuse to make these.  When the mood strikes you for a creamy, fruity, chocolate treat – these cheesecake bars can be your answer!

Strawberry Swirl Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars

Yield: 16 cheesecake bars

Baking a cheesecake as bars is so much easier!

• 10 full-sheet graham crackers (or 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs)
  • 6 Tablespoons (90 grams) melted unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup (67 grams) granulated sugar

• 16 ounces cream cheese (2 standard packages or 450 grams), softened to room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup (90-100 grams) strawberry jam (Or use 1/4 cup homemade strawberry filling from this recipe)
  • 2/3 cup (120 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan with aluminum foil with enough overhang on the sides. Set aside.

Make the crust: Using a food processor or blender, pulverize the graham crackers into a fine crumb. Pour into a medium bowl and mix with melted butter and sugar. Press into the lined pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Allow to cool as you prepare the filling.

For the filling: Beat cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla extract together with a hand or stand mixer until smooth and creamy, about 3 full minutes. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the chocolate chips evenly on top of crust. Spread the filling on top of chocolate chips. Drop large spoonfuls of jam on top of filling and swirl with a knife. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheesecake has set up and the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature and then completely in the refrigerator for at least three hours. Lift the foil out of the pan and cut into squares.

Store bars in a covered container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.

Recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9x13-inch pan, baking time will vary - about 45-55 minutes.

Today’s recipe has me craving Snickers Cheesecake Bars.

Snickers Cheesecake Bars

And some S’mores Brownie Pie with a crunchy graham crust.

S'mores Brownie Pie

115 Responses to “Strawberry Swirl Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars.”

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted July 1, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I love your thick graham cracker crusts!!! The crust is always my favorite part, and so often there is never enough of it, but your cheesecake bars always have these super thick, drool-worthy crusts! Yummm!!

Lizzieposted July 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I made these last night with mostly chocolate graham crackers… yum :-) Thanks!

Alexis @ deliciousfoodideas.netposted July 2, 2013 at 8:07 pm

OMG, thanks for this recipe Sally! I have only liked cheesecake since I’ve been pregnant. I’m making up for lost time and getting as many cheesecake recipes as I can. Your Snickers cheesecake bars look amazing as well.

• Sallyreplied on July 2nd, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Sounds like a pretty good pregnancy craving to me. 😉

Alaposted July 4, 2013 at 12:22 am

Yum–strawberry swirl cheesecake bars are always my go-to for quick potluck desserts! Glad you’re making some to celebrate :) who do you pawn all of these lovely baked goods to?? Lucky bugs!

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2013 at 8:04 am

After we eat our share, my neighbors, family, friends, and Kevin’s coworkers get to taste test too. Thanks Ala!

Anneposted July 8, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hi Sally
    I made these this weekend…except I substituted raspberry jam for strawberry. I did find that I had to bake them a little longer than 35 minutes. Finally I set my oven a little higher (375) and the cooked thru. They were awesome and by far the biggest hit of the weekend. Thanks…I will def be making these again.

• Sallyreplied on July 8th, 2013 at 4:02 pm

So glad you tried them, Anne! And thanks for letting me know about your baking time.

Nutmeg Nannyposted July 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Oh goodness, these look glorious! I love cheesecake bars :)

Amyposted August 7, 2013 at 1:16 am

Hi Sally! I’ve really enjoyed your blog! The recipes have added something to look forward to in baking. I had been in a rut for awhile and now I have tons of recipes to try thanks to your blog! Was just wondering….I love your cheesecake recipe (just 4 ingredients). If I want to make it a chocolate cheesecake, how much cocoa powder should I add? Do I need to increase the sugar? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 7th, 2013 at 10:15 am

Hi Amy! So glad you love coming to my blog for dessert inspiration. :) I’ve never tried to add cocoa powder to it, so I am hesitant to give you advice about what would work or not in that case. If you give it a try, let me know!

Inga Brauneisposted August 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

Hi Sally!

I would like to try these in a silicone heart shaped mold like this one

do you think they will hold up? got any advice I could use? It’s the first time I’m using this kind of mold.

Thanks in advance! :)

Annieposted September 13, 2013 at 10:04 pm

is it ok to just use non-stick spray instead of aluminum foil to cover the pan?

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2013 at 11:13 am

Yes – but they are just easier to lift out of the pan and cut if using aluminum foil.

Ashleyposted October 7, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Yum yum I am trying these soon! Have you ever tried these with white chocolate chips instead? So trying with white chocolate hopefully I won’t screw it up!!

• Sallyreplied on October 8th, 2013 at 6:00 am

Hey Ashley! I don’t think I’d ever tried them with white chocolate chips but it would be just fine to use them instead of the semi-sweet. It will be delicious, I’m sure. Enjoy!

Paulo Cpostaposted October 14, 2013 at 10:39 am

Love your recipes, every time I open your blog, makes me want to try each of them haha. One day I will be like you :)
    A kiss. Love your blog and you too haha

• Sallyreplied on October 14th, 2013 at 11:07 am

Thanks Paulo!

Elizabeth Vogelsbergposted October 14, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I’m making these for my husband today. He’s always complaining that there’s never anything for him to snack on.

I only have chocolate graham crackers…that should work, right? Here goes nothing!

• Sallyreplied on October 14th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Chocolate graham crackers would be excellent. Probably even better than honey graham crackers. Hope you both enjoy!

Sallyposted December 9, 2013 at 8:03 am

Sallyposted December 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm

If your jam is too thick to swirl, you may thin it out by warming it up.

maryposted December 9, 2013 at 2:05 pm

could i line the pan whole with foil, and use parchment paper for the bottom so that the cheesecake doesn’t stick to the bottom?

also, how did you cut your bars so neatly?

maryposted December 11, 2013 at 6:55 am

can i make this plain and leave out the chocolate chips and jam? if so, would i have to alter the recipe in any way, like adding more sugar?

• Sallyreplied on December 11th, 2013 at 7:57 am

Increase sugar to 1/3 cup and bake as directed. Enjoy!

Jennyposted February 12, 2014 at 1:55 am

Hi Sally – Big FAN! Can I try this in a 9” round pan lined with foil..?

PS: I try the sky high apple muffins yesterday – just brilliant…. i make desserts only from your website..!!

• Sallyreplied on February 12th, 2014 at 8:25 am

Definitely. The baking time will be similar in the round pan. Love those apple muffins!

Emilyposted April 8, 2014 at 2:00 pm

These are great!! I wish I had used better strawberry jam though. I just used store bought but I think it would have been a lot better if I had homemade. The chocolate chips make a nice addiction to the bars!!

Leighposted May 9, 2014 at 7:50 am

How long can these be at room temperature? I’m thinking of making these for a bake sale. Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on May 9th, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I’d say about 4-5 hours max. Hope everyone loves them!

Leasaposted December 2, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I enjoy your recipes and have made some before. I was thinking of making these for a Christmas cookie exchange so I need to make several dozen. I see you reference an 8×8 pan but could I make it in a 9×13 pan? How would I adjust the ingredients, if so? Double? Thanks a bunch!

• Sallyreplied on December 3rd, 2014 at 9:13 am

Yep, simply double the ingredients. I am unsure of the exact bake time.

Charlotteposted March 25, 2015 at 6:30 am

Hi Sally, thank you for your great recipes; you definitely make baking easier for a beginner like me! I made this cheesecake yesterday but without the chocolate chips. I haven’t tried a full piece yet but did sneak a tiny bit when I was cutting it into squares and it tastes amazing! I have never made cheesecake before so I am really pleased. One quick question though – unfortunately the filling isn’t as deep as yours. It did rise in the oven but shrunk again after being in the fridge. I’d say it’s about 2/3rds the thickness of yours at most. I did use and 8×8 pan, the same amount of ingredients and 30 minutes in the oven so I’m not sure what went wrong. Could it be to do with how long the ingredients are whisked for? I did time it to 3 minutes… Any advice appreciated as I’d like to make them again for a bake sale 😀

• Sallyreplied on March 25th, 2015 at 8:12 am

Charlotte, the period of time used to whisk the ingredients wouldn’t have to do with it. The bars are a little on the thin side and shrinking is expected. As long as they taste great, that’s all that matters. For thicker bars, try using a 6-inch square baking pan or doubling the ingredients and using an 11×7 baking pan.

Jessica Coppolaposted May 7, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Sally, once again you have outdone yourself!!!! I made these last weekend and they are incredible! Just the right mix of creaminess, sweet strawberries and delicious chocolate! Today, I made your soft batch chocolate chip cookies! Can’t wait to try them! I can already tell they are perfection though by their appearance and how good it smelled in my house when I was baking them.
    I love how you describe recipes and techniques in such detail! You are my go to for baking and I can’t tell you how many people I’ve told about YOU!!!! Hope this finds you well. Please keep these amazing recipes and photos coming!!

• Sallyreplied on May 8th, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to report back Jessica! I really appreciate it.

Josephposted June 17, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Would the recipe change at all if I just wanted fruit cheesecake bars either raspberry or Strawberry’s and get rid of the chocolate chips? Thanks a lot

• Sallyreplied on June 18th, 2015 at 8:27 am

Not at all. You can leave out the chocolate chips.

Meganposted July 20, 2015 at 3:40 am

Is it possible to make this using a cupcake tin as opposed to 8×8 pan?

• Sallyreplied on July 20th, 2015 at 8:19 am

Absolutely. The bake time will be a little shorter.

Robbposted September 4, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I made some of these last night (left out the chocolate chips and added some lemon extract instead of the vanilla.) They taste amazing, but I couldn’t get them to set up very firm. I saw that they were still sort of gooey in the middle after three and a half hours of cooling, so I baked them another twenty minutes. They’re better now, but still sort of underbaked. I might have used too much jam. Or at least, I can’t really think of anything else that would cause this. Any advice?