Homemade Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats.

If you have any questions or concerns about the ingredients used, please consult with your veterinarian.

Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats - pups LOVE them and they're so easy to make.

If you read my blog regularly, surely you know who Jude is.

If you’ve never visited my blog before, meet my little (big) man. A 115lb rescue Rottweiler/German Shepherd from a small town in Colorado. His previous owners left him and his sister to die in a deserted house. Kevin adopted him from Second Chance Animal Rescue.

Homemade Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats - easy, 1 bowl!

This is Jude.

Professional SBA employee, part grizzly bear, cuddle monster, mailman hater, cookie sniffer, and peanut butter lover. He lays with me when I’m sick, he jumps on the bed when we’re not home, and he still thinks he’s a small puppy.

Everyday Jude watches me bake up a storm in our tiny apartment. He sits and waits.

“Just one taste, please?”

Then I run around from my computer, to the kitchen, to the camera, and back again all day. He follows my every move. Staring at me with his big brown eyes and never able to taste a single treat.

It’s time my little best friend gets the spotlight. A homemade treat with his very favorite ingredients. Made with love, just for Jude.

Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats - pups LOVE them and they're so easy to make.

Jude’s favorite flavor is peanut butter. He gets it from his mom. After doing a lot of research on homemade dog treats, I confirmed with our vet that the combination of whole wheat flour, egg, milk, baking powder, oats, and peanut butter is perfectly healthy for a pup.

I added chopped bacon because it completely drives him nuts.

Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats - pups LOVE them and they're so easy to make.

Combine the simple ingredients together in a large bowl. Yep, this is a one bowl recipe. The dough will be extremely thick and hard to form, so use your hands for ease. Roll it out into 1/4″ thickness and use cookie cutters to make shapes. I used cookie cutters in the shape of a bone, a large heart, and a little bite-sized heart. Clearly your dog won’t care about the shapes. The cute shapes are really just for the humans. :)

The size of the treats should be based on the size of your dog. Jude is the size of a bear, so the big treats are perfect. We still break them up for him.

Arrange the shaped dough onto your baking sheet. The dog treats won’t spread in the oven, they just puff up very slightly. The treats can be close together on your baking sheet.

Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats - pups LOVE them and they're so easy to make.

Bake one side for 18-20 minutes. Until very lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from the oven and flip. Bake for 10-12 additional minutes. Allow the treats to cool completely before sharing with your furry bud. Jude was going NUTS from the way our apartment smelled. Pure doggie heaven.

Go ahead. Spoil your pup with a batch of homemade treats. Their unconditional love totally deserves it.

Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats - pups LOVE them and they're so easy to make.

Before beginning, please check with your vet about any allergies your dog may have. If you have any questions or concerns about the ingredients I used, please consult with your vet.

Homemade Peanut Butter & Bacon Dog Treats

Prep Time: 10

Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling

Because your pup deserves some home baked goodies too!

Yield: depends on the size of your cookie cutter

• 1 cup (255g) natural creamy peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup (180ml) nonfat milk
  • 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
  • 2 cups (244g) whole wheat flour* (measured correctly)
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup (30g) oats (either whole-rolled or quick oats are fine)
  • 2-3 strips bacon, chopped

Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

In a large bowl, gently mix the peanut butter, milk, and egg together with a large spoon or spatula. Switch to a whisk to make sure no lumps remain. Add the flour and baking powder. You may need to turn the dough out onto the counter and use your hands to work in the flour. Mix in the oats and chopped bacon. The dough is extremely thick and heavy.

Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into 1/4" thickness. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters or a knife. Arrange on the baking sheets. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until very lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from the oven, and flip the treats to bake the other side for 10-12 more minutes.

Allow to cool completely before serving to your pup. Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Treats freeze well, up to 2 months.

*Unbleached all-purpose flour is safe for dogs, but whole wheat was more highly recommended by our vet because of its added health benefits. Again, please consult with your vet about any allergies your dog may have.

Adapted from Pet Guide

Bonus: licking the spoon!!! :)

Jude - Peanut Butter

Try them in gingerbread men shapes for the holidays!

Homemade Gingerbread Men Dog Treats - peanut butter flavor

Here are a few more homemade dog treat recipes for your pup:

Q: Do you have any pets? What kind? What is his/her name?

240 Responses to “Homemade Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats.”

Nikki Bposted February 12, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Thank you for this recipe! My dog’s birthday is on Valentine’s Day, and we just happened to get her brother the same day last year so it’s a very special day for us (whether they know it or not, haha). I’m going to bake them up some of these for sure!

Cindy H.posted March 13, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I love that you posted pics of your handsome boy, Jude, along with the recipe! He’s lucky to have “found” you.

I made these treats for our rescue pup, Jetta, for her 3rd birthday this week and she LOVED them. Later I caught her walking along the kitchen counters with her nose up in the air…guess she was looking for more!

Jetta is a 75 lb. Black Lab/German Shepherd mix (says the vet) or a Black Lab/Rottweiler mix (said the shelter) that we adopted when she was 8 months old. We weren’t looking for a new dog since it had only been 5 weeks since losing our 10 yr. old German Shepherd. But luckily she “found” us one day when we just happened to need bird food and she just happened to be up for adoption at PetSmart!

Thanks for the great recipes, Sally!!

• Sallyreplied on March 13th, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Jetta sounds adorable, Cindy! What a beautiful sounding pup. I love black labs so much. She sounds a lot like Jude – with the german shepherd or the Rottweiler in her. She’s very lucky to have found you!

Jessyposted March 16, 2014 at 3:34 am

I just made these for my dogs ( a 2 year old lab/beagle mix and a 8 month old lab/mastiff mix) and they loved them. Thanks so much sharing and not forgetting our loyal companions!!

Helenposted March 17, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I made your dog treats for my young sheltie’s 2nd birthday, they were a hit. I made icing for the special ones with cream cheese and little milk.

Saraposted March 24, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Today is the second time I have made these for my 2 dogs (Pit/Mastiff and Rott/German Shepard), my Pit actually sniffs the air as they are baking. I do use low fat peanut butter, fat free milk and precooked bacon just because that’s what is in my house. I also just roll in a ball push lightly with a fork to flatten and they look like peanut butter cookies, it just saved the time f trying to roll out and use a cookie cutter this way made approx 40 cookies. Great job with this.

Elisaposted May 25, 2014 at 3:00 am

Hi! I made this for my three dogs Queen, Lady and Reyna today & they loved it!!
    They were jumping all over me for more!
    Thanks you so much for sharing this recipe!!

I love your recipes as well, they’re amazing!!
    Have a blessed day,

Christinaposted June 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Hi Sally! I LOVE this post, your photography is great and these dog treats look like something my dog Minnie would love! Can’t wait to try out this recipe on my blog and link back to yours as the source of inspiration! -Christina

Vanessaposted June 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I have two little ones and I would love to try baking homemade treats for them. I have a question about the bacon. Do I need to cook them first our just cut them up and mix in the dough raw? This sounds so tasty. I’m afraid that they will not eat their regular food after they try this :-)

• Sallyreplied on June 22nd, 2014 at 9:22 am

Hey Vanessa! Your pups will love these. Yes, cook the bacon.

Alexposted July 31, 2014 at 2:23 pm

These were so easy to make! My foster doggy can be a bit choosy about her biscuits – she tends to prefer pure meat as a treat. I’m happy to report she was absolutely CRAZY about these! They’re right up there with lamb sausages as her new favorite treat. Thanks for the recipe!

debbyposted August 5, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Thank you!!! I have the most finicky Chihuahua-Yorkie puppies who turn up their noses at nearly every treat! They love these!

Kariposted August 13, 2014 at 9:40 am

I made these treats on Monday and today I see this feature on yahoo http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/dog-treat-recipes-homemade-woof-woof_n_5671894.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592. Love that you put bacon in them!

Clareposted September 3, 2014 at 9:56 am

PB cookies were a hit with my 3 wonderful dachshunds (Ernie, Edgar & Einstein). Made it for them to celebrate their 3rd birthday. They gobbled them up and keep looking at me for more. Thanks for creating such a yummy treat!

Baileyposted September 13, 2014 at 10:20 am

So my grandma and I are going to try this with her 12 yr old chow-chow today. And I’m really excited! :) thanks for the great recipe and I’ll let you know how it goes! Sorry if you don’t care but…. I’m going to anyways! :)

Walter's Mumposted September 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Is the flour self-raising or all purpose? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Carolyn Bernardposted October 8, 2014 at 11:46 am

I have made your peanut butter cookies for my 3 Wheaten terriers at least 5 times now and I though that I had to tell you just how much my babies looove these treats…They don’t just gobble them like any other cookies.. they actually savor them !!! I’m not even kidding.. We can’t wait to try more of your yummy treats ! Thank you for making my doggies happy !!!

Juliaposted October 16, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Hi Sally, thanks for sharing the recipe! I just made my first homemade biscuits for my dog and would love to try this one! One quick question though, how would I know it’s done? The recipe I tried yesterday called for “bake until hardened” and then I think it turned out to be way too hard for my 6 lb. doggie. Thanks!!:))

• Sallyreplied on October 16th, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Hi Julia – I’m unsure about the other recipe but these are done in about 30 minutes.

Sandy Newbyposted October 23, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Thanks for the recipe my picky dog loved them! I refuse to buy store treats so these are a keeper!

mkposted November 23, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hi I have made these twice and my puppy love’s them. He is very fussy for a teddy bear

Oliviaposted November 23, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Hi! I was just wondering what the texture of the treat should feel like when it’s done. Is it going to be crunchy or chewy? My dog is older and he has a little trouble eating hard treats so I was just wondering. Thanks!! :))

• Sallyreplied on November 23rd, 2014 at 4:29 pm

they’re a little crunchy, yes. not overly so, but i fear your pup may have trouble with these. sorry Olivia!

Lexyposted December 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Yuhpp. His name is O’Malley and he’s a cat. I’m looking to make family dogs- dog treats – for Christmas.

Ebonyposted December 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm

My DOG LOOOOVVVVEEESSS these treats! Thank you! She’s literally STALKING ME! Lol! She can’t sit still, and she’s even doing all her tricks without being asked! Thanks again! I made my daughter PB Fudge and she can’t eat it without Rubee BEGGING!

Meganposted December 7, 2014 at 9:37 am

These sound easy and delicious for my pups…could you please tell me if you precooked the bacon before mixing everything together? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Yep, it is precooked Megan.

Danielleposted December 8, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Just wondering how long these will keep for please :-) Thank you x

• Sallyreplied on December 8th, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Hi Danielle! Please see the storing instructions in the last step.

Gina Bposted December 17, 2014 at 10:31 am

I can’t wait to make these as Xmas gifts! Can you tell me approximately how many they make?

Jenposted December 19, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Hello! Do you use cold milk or the instant nonfat?

• Sallyreplied on December 19th, 2014 at 9:43 pm

stephanieposted December 22, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I work in a veterinary office and we see a lot of dogs who get VERY sick with pancreatitis from bacon (or any other greasy human food), they just don’t process fats like we do, so a word of strong caution especially for small dogs! Pancreatitis can be deadly, so maybe try these without the bacon…your precious pooch may still love them…and you wont have to worry about them getting seriously ill.

• Albareplied on December 23rd, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hi, we only have turkey bacon in the house so I was thinking of using that instead. Is that better or skip the bacon completely for our Chihuahua?

• Juanareplied on January 27th, 2015 at 2:10 am

Hi Stephanie, just a quick question so u can’t give bacon to ur puppy??? I have a puppy pooddle he’s 5 months old and i just made those treats bot knowing thats bad for him until i read ur comment. So for sure u cant give bacon righ?

Lorraineposted January 7, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe. I’ve been making these treats weekly for my ‘pot-licker” Mr. Magoo. He loves them. Also made dozens of these for all my dog-owning friends on Ambergris Caye over the holidays. The canines here in Belize are very happy! My best friend’s dog sits by the fridge every night for his daily “allowance”.
    Excellent recipe. A real hit down here. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2015 at 2:18 pm

So sweet. I love the name Mr Magoo!

Kaylaposted January 30, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Hi Sally!
    I’m a 14 year old girl, and I make and sell wholesome, all-natural dog treats and all proceeds help my rescued horses.
    I would love to send you a bag.
    Please let me know if you’re interested!

Lorraineposted February 1, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Sally, thank you so much for posting this recipe! I just made it for my baby and he is in love! I am a huge dog lover and love the idea of homemade dog treats! Thank you so much for introducing this recipe into out family, it will be put to good use! Have a great day!

Kar-Lingposted February 4, 2015 at 9:56 am

My newly adopted Maltese is 7 ish this yr and his previous owner has been feeding him some crappy commercial dog biscuit. So I thought I’d try and make him something healthier. Is there a big difference between all purpose flour and wheat flour though? Will it be bad or something? Thanks!!

• Sallyreplied on February 4th, 2015 at 5:18 pm

all-purpose is just fine!

Ivyposted February 4, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Looks delish! Since I am lazy, this is my go to recipe… :-)

Heatherposted February 13, 2015 at 8:59 am

Have 4 little pups at home….they absolutely LOVED the treats. BUT JUST TO FOREWARN ANY PET PARENTS: Unfortunately one of them did get sick and I had to end up taking her to the vets office last night. She had a fever, dehydration, and it was getting to a point where she was refusing to even eat! Come to find out she had pancreatitis which is when the pancreas becomes inflamed and it presses up against the stomach which is EXTREMELY painful and makes them not want to eat (mild case though so thank goodness we caught it early!). The doctor said that it could come from foods that are highly rich and fatty….so to say the least, peanut butter and bacon are both pretty fatty foods and combined it was a double whammy. So sad because they DID really love them but we won’t be giving them these homemade treats anymore. :(