Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies.

A sinful brownie layer, topped with peanut butter cups and a peanut butter fudge crispy layer on top.

These peanut butter cup crunch layered brownies are out of this world!Sorry to bombard you with a sugar chocolate bomb like this after sharing that Skinny Peanut Butter Pie earlier this we…

Wait.  I’m not sorry.

When homemade fudgy chocolate brownies, peanut butter cups, salty peanuts, more chocolate, more peanut butter, and rice krispies come together… well, you know it’s gotta be good.  Three layers of bliss.  Chocolate, peanut butter bliss.

“Better than crack” as some call it.

Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies.  Sinful brownie layer with peanut butter cups, topped with a peanut butter fudgy crispy layer. These decadent treats always disappear when I make them!

Begin with a dense chocolate brownie base.  My homemade brownie recipe is your standard fudgy, chewy brownie.  Tastes like fudge and chocolate frosting in one.

You can always use a boxed brownie mix for the bottom layer.  Whatever floats your boat.

Next, we have a shower of chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups (or mini Reese’s cups, whichever you prefer) and salty peanuts.  The peanuts are amazing – gives each bite a nice crunch.  Plus, WHO doesn’t love salty & sweet?!

The Reese’s peanut butter cups tucked inside are obviously necessary.  And so completely sinful.

For the top layer… my personal favorite… a melty mess of peanut butter, chocolate chips, and Rice Krispies. I couldn’t stop “tasting” this layer.

So, I brought these crack brownies to a BBQ over the weekend and silently placed them on the dessert table.  I listened quietly at the comments.  They made my day. :)

“WHO made these?”

“What are they!??”

And my favorite, “I can’t speak. This is the best thing I’ve ever eaten.”

Trust me.  If you like chocolate at all, you have GOT to make this.  Your life will be forever changed.  You’re welcome.

Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies

Yield: 20-24 brownies

Homemade Fudgy Brownie Layer

(or use your favorite boxed brownie mix)

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
  • 8 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet (or semi-sweet) chocolate (I used two 4 oz Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bars)
  • 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Middle Layer

• 3/4 cup salted peanuts
  • 8 full size Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, chopped

Top Layer

• 1 and 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 and 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 and 1/2 cup Rice Krispies cereal

1. If using a boxed brownie mix, prepare the brownie layer according to packaged directions. Bake the brownies for 5 minutes less than the recipe states. Skip down to #3.
  2. If using my homemade fudgy brownie recipe: preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray 11 x 7 inch baking pan with cooking spray or line with aluminum foil. Set aside. Melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add in the eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla. Gently fold in the flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a knife. Bake for 30 minutes.
  3. Remove brownies from the oven and sprinkle the top with the peanuts and chopped peanut butter cups. Return to the oven and bake for 5 additional minutes.
  4. While the brownies are finishing up in the oven, melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the Rice Krispies cereal until evenly coated. Remove the brownies from the oven and pour the chocolate and peanut butter mixture over top. Spread to cover evenly. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting into 24 squares. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Adapted from How Sweet It Is

A few similar recipes…

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Peanut Butter Brownies

Skinny Frozen Peanut Butter Pie (a lightened up favorite!)

Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting

Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate White Chocolate Cupcakes

Chocolate White Chocolate Cupcakes

No-Bake Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Bars

No-Bake Reese's Peanut Butter Bars

71 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies.”

Aimee @ ShugarySweetsposted August 15, 2012 at 7:33 am

I remember seeing those on Jessica’s site, and I think a little drool came out of my mouth as my jaw dropped to the keyboard! Now it’s happened again!
    These look fantastic Sally!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 8:34 am

I know! I’ve made them before when I first saw Jessica’s post! They really are too good to be true. Amazing. Thanks Aimee :)

• Neelreplied on September 14th, 2012 at 3:26 am

Have been dying to make these for a long time. As I cannot get the peanut butter cups in Denmark – can you recomment a substitute???

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hey Neel! You could try leaving the pb cups out all together. Instead, try using peanut butter baking chips, another chopped up candy bar, or chocolate chips. Thank you!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted August 15, 2012 at 9:41 am

I can’t believe we were just talking brownies and you had this little trick up your sleeve! I’ve made similar brownies and they are so amazing. I love the top layer with Krispies/PB – something about it is just so addictively perfect! And I bet you were most definitely the talk of the party when people sunk their teeth into one of these babies! And all your recipe recaps are calling my name – espi the other choc brownies with that dense PB layer on top!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 11:30 am

Hey Averie! After you sent me that brownie email, I went back and reviewed my go-to brownie recipe, I’m totally intrigued by yours now though! I’m glad you mentioned my related recipe recaps – sometimes I feel like they go unnoticed. But I love how you feature yours and it brings old recipes back to life! the top layer of these was definitely my favorite!

April @ The 21st Century Housewifeposted August 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

What a delightfully decadent treat! Your peanut butter cup crunch brownies look absolutely scrumptious!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thanks April! They are surely decadent.

Jen @ Savory Simpleposted August 15, 2012 at 9:53 am

Sally, these look decadent!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebelposted August 15, 2012 at 10:14 am

Yum! I love that delicious crunchy top as the “hat” for these super fudgy brownies. I’m with you–butterscotch and blondies all the way, though I *did* have a brownie hankering last night and it *did* roll over into this morning, so methinks I’m making your homemade fudge brownies tonight for dessert. Blondies are awesome, but freshly baked, super fudgy brownies? Those are just killer!!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 11:32 am

you have to make these fudge brownies… even if you don’t layer them with the pb cups and peanuts and pb/chocolate krispie “hat” (hahaha love it)… they are so rich and fudgy on their own! You’d love them Hayley :)

Back For Secondsposted August 15, 2012 at 10:20 am

These are probably in my top 5 fave desserts ever. I posted a recipe a few months ago and despite not having pb cups like yours do, they are incredible! You are right about that top layer….the best! Ok now I need to make these again – but with pb cups this time!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 11:32 am

definitely a top 5 dessert for me too, Stephanie! You have to try them with pb cups next time. The little pb cup surprise in each bite is to die forrrrrr.

Mercedesposted August 15, 2012 at 11:17 am

Um, wow! I don’t know if I really have any other words for these! I love a variety of textures and especially a good crunch, so I would love these!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 11:34 am

I love a ton of texture too.. I couldn’t keep my hands off of these as I was cutting them into squares. you’d love these mercedes!

Jessica@AKitchenAddictionposted August 15, 2012 at 11:21 am

Love all of the flavors and textures!! I think a run to the grocery store is in order. . .

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 11:36 am

Ummm yes. you need to drop everything you’re doing and go make these NOW! You’d love them Jessica :)

Laura Dembowskiposted August 15, 2012 at 11:31 am

OMG! Sally, this is pure torture. These look amazing. Pure genius, evil genius maybe, but definitely genius 😉

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted August 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Your brownie goodness kills me. I would eat the whole pan of these and then die of happiness.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishesposted August 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Mmmm I made these once! “Better than crack brownies”…. they definitely lived up to their name :)

Elianaposted August 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

So many wonderful textures and flavors! These look awesome Sally.

Adrienneposted August 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Peanut butter and chocolate is my favorite combo! Seriously, just when I think you can’t come up with a better recipe – you do :) Thanks for sharing, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hey Adrienne!! Thanks for the compliment :)

amy @ fearless homemakerposted August 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Oh my goodness, your treats + sweets seriously get better every day. Peanut butter + chocolate = heaven, + these look AMAZING!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

aww thanks Amy! I feel the same way about you and all of your yummy drink recipes :)

DB-The Foodie Stuntmanposted August 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Nice to meet you, Sally. I found your site through Haley at The Domestic Rebel. These brownies look delicious and I’m glad the attendees at the barbecue loved them too!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Hi there! If you’re a reader from Haley’s blog, you must have great taste! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

Rachelposted August 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Oh my, these are way too decadent, in the best way possible. I’m breaking out my stretchy pants for these babies. You’ve outdone yourself yet again!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Hahaha Rachel that made me laugh. Yes to the stretchy pants, pleeeeeeease!

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted August 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Is this real life????? Those look aaaaaaaamazing.

• Sallyreplied on August 16th, 2012 at 6:31 am

Ari! I love your site! Thanks for visiting… these brownies are DEF amazing :)

Julie @ Table for Twoposted August 15, 2012 at 9:37 pm

i definitely must make this because these are MADE FOR ME! i’m a huge choc-pb-holic!!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.posted August 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Oh my gosh!!!! I am drooling all over the place. You just combined my favorite things!

luv what you doposted August 15, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Oh wow…those do look incredible and addicting! I am saving that recipe in my file right now!

Anna @ hiddenponiesposted August 16, 2012 at 1:19 am

I’ve made these brownies and you and your critics do not exaggerate – they are awesome!!

• Sallyreplied on August 16th, 2012 at 6:23 am

I’m glad you’ve made them before, Anna! It would be a crime for one not to taste how good they are :)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookieposted August 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

These are even better than better than crack! Ahhhh yummmy!

RavieNomNomsposted August 16, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Oh my word, look at all that sugary goodness! Those brownies looks almost too good to eat…almost 😉

• Sallyreplied on August 16th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

*almost* too good to eat is right 😉

Erin @ Texanerin Bakingposted August 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I’ve never had these or anything like them. You made them look magical, though. I keep scrolling up and down, up and down. They look SO good!

Reeniposted August 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm

OMG – I did not need to see these right now! I don’t really mean that. I’m lusting after these so badly Sally! You’ve outdone yourself. I’ll be dreaming of them!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifeposted August 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Yes, pb cups are absolutely necessary in almost every treat!!! You are my pb treat girl…I can always count on you to deliver an awesome decadent goodie!!! I love that you silently put the bars on the table at the bbq and then just listened. Haha totally something I would do too:-)

Kelly-Anneposted September 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Nice recipe. I love a simple brownie recipe which is easy for the kids :)
    I also like the below brownie recipe.
    Thanks for sharing,

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Kelly-Anne!! The link to those brownies… they look so fudgy and thick!

Sam Anaposted September 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm

oh my god those brownies….

Samantha Hamiltonposted September 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I just made your crack brownies and just read I have to wait 2 hours before diving into them?!? These look and smell aahhmazing!! Can’t wait to eat half the pan..err..I mean one :) thanks for the great recipe!!

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2012 at 8:48 am

Samantha – yay! I love these brownies so much. Yes, the waiting time is the hardest part! I know you will lvoe them though – worth the wait!

Tammy Dposted February 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm

OMG – These brownies look amazing! Can’t wait to try them.

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2013 at 9:29 am

Thanks Tammy! Let me know how you like them :) They are decadent!

Tammy Dposted February 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I made these last night, with my husband’s insistence. They are amazing! :)

• Sallyreplied on February 18th, 2013 at 8:45 am

Hi Tammy! I’m happy to hear that. These decadent brownies will always be one of our favorites.

a farmer in the dellposted February 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Lady, if you could overnight me a dozen of these puppies I would be very grateful! Yum!

Emilyposted July 27, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Made these this week and they are AMAZING! I (embarrassingly) completely forgot the vanilla and they were still good! Another winner, Sally :)

• Sallyreplied on July 28th, 2013 at 9:25 am

I have no doubt they were still delicious!

patty gillisposted August 4, 2013 at 12:25 pm

these look so awesome that i cannot wait to try them.. i don’t have a 11×7 pan, what can i use instead without messing up the recipe? thanks sally

• Sallyreplied on August 4th, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Hi Patty! You can try in a 9×9 baking pan instead. Enjoy!

Melanieposted August 29, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I made these today for my familys “first day of preschool celebration dinner dessert.” I didn’t have peanuts so I substituted walnuts and no rice krispies so I substituted crushed up kix. I asked “how are the brownies?” and my husband said “these are the best brownies you have ever made!” my boys couldnt even form words they only mummbled through chocolate fudgy mouthes “mmmmmm.” WINNER!!! This is the third recipie I have made from your site in the last two days and each and every one has gotten rave reviews from my family.

• Sallyreplied on August 29th, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Melanie, that is SO great! And the substitutions you made are perfect. I’ve used crushed up cornflakes instead of the Rice Krispies, never Kix though. I think it’s pretty tough to not like these brownies – no matter what little substitutions are made. Thank you so much for letting me know how much you are all enjoying the recipes.

agnesLposted September 25, 2013 at 9:53 am

These look delicious! We don’t have peanut butter cups here. Do you know what I coul replace them with ?

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2013 at 10:35 am

Hi Agnes – you could just leave the peanut butter cups out.

connie celesteposted October 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm

hello…Sally..I just love your recipes…..but..there is one problem….I don’t live in the states ….I transfered to Italy for work….and we dont have some american items…..what can I use instead if reeses peanut butter cup in this recipe…..we dont have that here……thank you soooooo much…Hope to hear from you soon…….thank you….

• Sallyreplied on October 22nd, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hi Connie! The PB cups are a very easy swap. Try chocolate chips, nuts, or any other chopped candy bar you like.

Hayleyposted July 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm

OMG I finally made these and they were sooooo good! I used a super-rich peanut butter brownie recipe that’s been in my family for years for the brownie layer and everyone appreciated the new update on those!

Amyposted July 9, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I just made these peanut butter cup crunch brownies last night. And, holy cow, I’m glad I’m giving half the pan away because these very caloric brownies are deliciously,ridiculously, sinfully, addictive! haha I Thank you so much for all your awesome recipes! (Especially the chocolate peanut butter combinations!) :-)

Karenposted March 21, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I have some college students with a very sweet tooth and they will LOVE this for An Easter treat. Can I use a Snickers bar instead of the Reese’s chocolate? Will it work with the caramel?

• Sallyreplied on March 22nd, 2015 at 10:31 am

Snickers would be a great substitution.

1. Pingback: peanut butter cup crunch brownies. | Cooking Pics

2. Pingback: All Corner Brownie Cupcakes « Homemaker Chic

3. Pingback: Dirty Peanut Butter Chocolate Mini-Cupcakes

4. Pingback: peanut butter fudge brownie cups.

5. Pingback: Peanut butter layer brownies | Baking Joy