Soft Andes Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies.

Super-soft cookies with Andes Mint Chocolate. Very easy to make, no dough chilling! One of my favorite cookie recipes ever.

Nothing steals my heart away quite like the combination of peanut butter & chocolate.  In fact, I once said that this duo could rule the world.  And I firmly stand behind my statement, thankyouverymuch. It’s no secret that chocolate & peanut butter are a match made in heaven.

But there’s one humble little guy that pairs quite as well and maybe even better (!!!) with chocolate.

Mint is the new peanut butter in my kitchen.

Back when no one read my blog but my mom and Kevin, I made Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They were amazing. When Kevin requested some cookies with Andes Mints this weekend, I quickly hovered over the cookie recipe and vowed to change it and make it even better.  I was on a mission.

Because that’s what I do apparently, I can never make the same thing twice.  Oh… unless it’s these. I love you cake batter.

You’ve got your basic cookie ingredients here: flour, baking soda, baking powder, butter, eggs, vanilla, white sugar, brown sugar, and salt.  Thrown into the mix are a couple teaspoons of cocoa powder and some chopped up Andes Mints AND Andes Mints Creme de Menth Baking Chips. A double dose. I like where this is going.

To make these cookies even better than last time, I removed 1 egg white from the recipe.  Egg whites are necessary in some cookies to give the cookie structure and they keep a baked cookie from getting too moist.  Egg yolks give cookies an undeniably chewy texture.  Moist, rich, and ultra decadent.  By using one whole egg and 1 extra egg yolk, you get a soft & moist cookie that will still hold its shape thanks to the egg white’s protein.

I also used more brown sugar than white sugar in this particular recipe.  Brown sugar makes cookies super soft – one of my cookie eating requirements. 😉 The combination of baking powder & baking soda give these cookies a nice lift.  I love thick cookies – flat & crispy hardly ever appeals to me. Look how puffy!

Soft-Baked Andes Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies by

Not only did Kevin request these Andes Mint cookies, but he also asked for giant cookies. I sorta forgot about that last request (oops!), but with the last few tablespoons of dough, I made a giant one.

That big guy is 1/4 cup of dough. Feel free to make these cookies whichever size you’d like. 😉

one. monster. cookie.

And what I loved most about these cookies is that you don’t have to chill the dough.  Nope.  In less than 20 minutes, you’ll have yourself warm, gooey, minty chocolate cookies.  So soft, thick, & dreamy.

Soft-Baked Andes Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Yield: about 3 dozen cookies

• 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups and 1/4 cups (285g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups (340g) chopped Andes Mints OR Andes Mints Creme de Menth Baking Chips
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) milk (if needed, see note)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With an electric or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, then the egg yolk, mixing for about 1 minute after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix for about 1 minute on low speed. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined. By hand, fold in the Andes Mints.

Drop by rounded tablespoon-fuls* onto ungreased baking sheet or silicone mat. Bake for 10-12 minutes until sides *slightly* begin to brown. I took mine out of the oven at exactly 10 minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a wire rack. Cookies stay fresh & soft in a sealed container at room temperature for 1 week. Cookies freeze well, up to 2 months.

*The dough is very, very thick and should come together easily. However, if it is TOO thick to handle, add up to 1/4 cup milk before adding the Andes Mint Chips.

*If making larger cookies, I suggest dropping dough by 1/4 cup measurements and shaping into a ball. Bake for 11-12 minutes.

Just love these!

Super-soft Andes Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Here are a few more of my soft-baked cookie recipes.  Choose your favorite!

Butterscotch Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Thick Oatmeal Raisinet Cookies

Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Lovers’ Cookies

Rolo-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies

1 XXL Buttery Soft Sugar Cookie

Rainbow M&M Cookies

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies

139 Responses to “Soft Andes Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies.”

Shawnposted November 22, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Hands down the best cookies we have ever made!! I now can’t wait to try your other cookie recipes. A cookbook of your fantastic recipes is definitely one I would buy not only for myself but as gifts to other baking lovers! Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on November 22nd, 2013 at 5:35 pm

So glad to read that you love these cookies, Shawn!

Hayleyposted December 14, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Hey Sally! I left a comment a while ago on what I believe to be your original Andes Mint Chocolate Chip cookie recipe. Is that no longer available on your site, because my bookmark for it disappeared and I can’t find it in your recipe list. It’s kind of a bummer because I was just about to make them and low and behold they were gone…

These certainly look like a delicious option, but I much prefer a plain cookie base to the a chocolate base.

Sorry to prod you for a vanished recipe. It was just so good last time I made it (like a year ago haha… I snooze; I lose, I guess).

Please let me know if you have it stored away somewhere! I have all the ingredients (I think) but none of the ratios etc. ^ ^;;;;

• Sallyreplied on December 14th, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Hi Hayley – these cookies are my first andes mint chocolate cookie on my website, I just made them moister with 1 egg yolk and brown sugar. These are not chocolate based. There is only 2 teaspoons of cocoa in the dough.

• Hayleyreplied on December 14th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Oh, sorry, I guess these did come first. But there was one that was not made with cocoa. I don’t know, it was kind of just a regular chocolate chip cookie but with andes mints in it. You know? ^^ Thanks for the reply.

Justineposted December 18, 2013 at 11:14 am

These were delish! We loved them. Quick question: Which of your cookie recipes would you recommend for a cookie contest? Thanks!:)

Kristinaposted December 23, 2013 at 4:27 pm

These were amazing!! Topped mine with a mint truffle hershey’s kiss!! to die for! Thanks!! :)

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I love the mint Hershey Kisses! Thanks for reporting back Kristina.

Taylorposted December 23, 2013 at 7:38 pm

These cookies are amazing! Made them tonight to bring to a Christmas Eve party tomorrow and I am fighting every urge to just eat them all myself. Made a great amount of cookies and are perfectly soft! Will definitely be making these again, may even try with different add-ins. Thanks for the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Aren’t they tempting? I don’t think I could hold back eating a few if I were you Taylor! Hope everyone loves them tomorrow. Thank you for reporting back!

Pamposted December 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm

These were delicious! I am going to have to stock up on these baking mints so I can make these more frequently! Thank you for such a yummy recipe!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Hi Pam! So glad you like them. I always have Andes on hand – just for these cookies!

Kathyposted December 26, 2013 at 12:16 am

Hi Sally! I think that Hayley in post #54 might be referring to your Soft-Baked Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe you posted in Zesty on November 21, 2012. No, I’m not a stalker, I just happened coincidentally to find it on Pinterest this morning!!! I was wondering which of these 2 mint chocolate chip recipes are your favorite (not including the ones with mocha). Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Jeanposted February 1, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Just tried these today to use up some Christmas Andes mint chips and all I can say is WOW ! These are amazing and the house smells so minty fresh :)

Teresaposted February 4, 2014 at 2:20 am

I just wanted to say these were absolutely delicious :)

emily brockleyposted February 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I made these for my boyfriend for his birthday(: Except they were white chocolate chip! He loved them so much he ‘forgot’ to share a couple with his dad! 😛

Samiposted March 19, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Hi Sally!
    I found your recipe on Pinterest and am making it tomorrow. Is the cocoa totally necessary? I do not have any on hand.

• Sallyreplied on March 19th, 2014 at 11:41 pm

You may leave it out. Enjoy these cookies!

Aliaposted April 23, 2014 at 6:06 am

Hi Sally! I’m sorta confused on the milk so how much did you use?

• Sallyreplied on April 24th, 2014 at 12:26 pm

If you find the dough is too thick, trying adding up to 1/4 cup of milk (as directed in the recipe note). I’ve had readers say that helps.

Laurenposted May 13, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Hi Sally! I just made these cookies with Frango mint chocolates, as I had too many on hand. As not a huge fan of the mint/chocolate combo (more into the chocolate/PB, obviously!), I LOVE these cookies! As do the rest of my family. I am so impressed by the softness and bakery style texture of these cookies, without refrigeration or cornstarch!! Great recipe! Thanks so much.

Britneyposted September 13, 2014 at 3:26 am

just made these.. and they are amazing! mint and chocolate are they best combo.. thank you so much for sharing this recipe.. i will use almost every family get together.. :]

Angieposted October 27, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I made these, but instead of the cocoa powder used instant coffee. Mocha mint cookies. Everybody seemed to love them!

Culinareposted November 7, 2014 at 7:58 am

Wow what beautiful are these cookies and how well I prepared the recipe with my girls but with M & M were very excited. I do not think tomorrow will remain on the lot.

Riaposted November 11, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I just tried this recipe out and it was amazing :) I just used 1 cup of the andes mint chocolate and added a cup of chocolate chips. The mint flavor definitely hits I hope the people at the party I’m going to later today enjoy it as much as I do!

Kristenposted December 11, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I’m not sure what I did wrong since everyone else’s turned out beautifully, but mine batch never “flattened down”. Each table spoon of dough basically sat where I put it and turned cakey and dry. Any thoughts on where I might have gone wrong? I only used 1 cup of andes chips, but I doubt that could have been the deal breaker!

• Meredithreplied on April 22nd, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Mine never flattened either! They were cakey and dry and had a strange aftertaste, maybe from the baking powder? I don’t know what I did wrong either but I won’t be making these again!

• Tiffanyreplied on May 28th, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Same thing happened to mine!

Amanda G.R.posted December 14, 2014 at 11:46 pm

I made these cookies…. And they were AMAZING. Except, maybe it’s just me, but they have a salty after taste. Should I go easy in the salt? Or did I not mix it enough? Idk, maybe it’s just me…

• Fionareplied on May 9th, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Yes, ease back on the salt if you find them too salty. 1/2 t is what I use and my hubby thinks they are just salty enough (he loves salty food).

sherryposted December 16, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Is it okay to make the dough in advance and freeze it? How long to add onto the baking time, and would the dough need to be thawed?

I apologize for asking the same question under more than one recipe. I am trying to plan holiday baking-using your recipes, of course :) Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on December 16th, 2014 at 9:30 pm

The dough balls for both cookies can be frozen. No need to thaw, simply bake for an extra minute.

Florposted December 23, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Hi! I’m confused by the measure units you use. I tried a converter, but I don’t understand how 2 cups and 1/4 of flour is 285g and 2 cups of Andes Mints is 340 g. What am I doing wrong?

-2 cups and 1/4 cups (285g) all-purpose flour
    -2 cups (340g) chopped Andes Mints

Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2014 at 12:41 pm

The mints are heavier so they weigh more per cup.

• Florreplied on December 23rd, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Oh, ok. I knew there was a logical explanation! I’m not used to cups, teaspoons and all the american measure units! Sorry!

Donna Zinnposted January 3, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Can I use salted butter?

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Definitely. I would reduce the salt to 3/4 teaspoon.

Lorri Perryposted January 21, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Yummy Sally! First time I have tried the mint chips.

Fionaposted May 9, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I made this once and ended up with too many cookies. Second time, I baked 12 of the dough balls I created, and froze the rest. Just this minute, I put into the oven a batch of 10, which is the third of four “bakings” this recipe will give me. Love making these now we can have freshly-made cookies every time I want to make a batch!

Michelleposted November 26, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Unfortunately these cookies did not turn out at all for me. Didn’t add milk, and still they spread into each other and I ended up with a huge mess and no mint cookies :( I followed directions to the letter – grrrrr!