45 Healthy Recipes for the New Year.

45 Healthy Recipes

January is the month for new beginnings.  Healthier eating is the typical focus for New Years resolutions, so I am here to help.  My resolutions are food based, but in a very different way.  Some of them include: learn to make bagels from scratch, create the perfect chocolate cupcake, and find a killer homemade tomato sauce recipe.

It may be hard to believe, but beneath all the sprinkles and chocolate, I truly am a health nut at heart.  I am not one to sacrifice calories for health food, so I make sure that my healthier items deliver some powerful taste. :)

In fact, some of my favorite recipes on my website are the healthier items.

Healthy Recipes by Sallys Baking Addiction

{skinny peanut butter swirl brownies / chocolate covered cherry protein smoothie}

Here is a list of healthy recipes from my website and a list of a few others from my friends and other bloggers.  Feel free to link up some of your favorite healthy eats, whether they are savory or sweet.  Happy, Healthy 2013!

Healthy Choices from My Kitchen to Yours

1) Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins (140 calories each)

140 Calorie Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

2) Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins
3) Maple Almond Granola Clusters (vegan)
4) Triple Chocolate Crunch Granola

Triple Chocolate Crunch Granola by Sallys Baking Addiction

5) Peanut Butter & Jelly Granola
6) Toasted Coconut Tropical Granola (one of my favorites!)

Toasted Coconut Tropical Granola

7) Baked Banana Bread Donuts with Dark Chocolate Glaze
8) Low Fat Sky High Apple Pie Muffins

Sky High Apple Pie Muffins

9) Peanut Butter Cup Granola
10) Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

11) Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
12) Banana Nutella Granola

Banana Nutella Granola

13) Cinnamon Toffee Cheesecake Dip for Apples (low fat)

Cinnamon Toffee Cheesecake Dip for Apples by Sallys Baking Addiction

14) Skinny Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Dip
15) Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Energy Bites
16) Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter

How to make Homemade Peanut Butter

17) Apricot Pecan Granola Bars (vegan)
18) 30 Minute Homemade Soft Pretzels (whole wheat, low fat, low sugar)

30 Minute Homemade Soft Pretzels

19) Chocolate Covered Cherry Protein Smoothie (14g protein)
20) Homemade Chewy Fudge Granola Bars (another favorite)

No Bake Chewy Fudge Granola Bars

21) Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars (use all sorts of different add-ins!)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Bars

22) 3 Ingredient Sugar-Free Chocolate Bars (vegan)

Homemade Sugarfree Chocolate Bars

41) Almond Joy Granola by Little Bitty Bakes
42) Crispy Baked Onion Rings by Simply Scratch
43) Quinoa Cakes with Lemon, Olive, & Parsley by Love & Olive Oil
44) Watermelon Slushies by Chef in Training
45) Lightened Up General Tso’s Chicken by Kitchen Meets Girl

Let’s chat.

Do you have any favorite healthy recipes?  Links are welcome!

What are your new year’s resolutions like?

60 Responses to “45 Healthy Recipes for the New Year.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppersposted January 4, 2013 at 7:31 am

Great post! I’m still exploring your site. When I get home from work, I’ll have to go through all your healthy recipes. My Husband is already asking when I was making the pretzels again. Have a great weekend!!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 8:19 am

Thanks Jennifer! I know, I have to make those pretzels again soon. We’re taking a break – I made them 3 times in 2 weeks haha!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?!posted January 4, 2013 at 7:33 am

What a great round-up of healthy recipes! There are so many of yours I’m dying to try… I’m like you – I’m actually a health nut at heart but people wouldn’t know it based on all the baking/sweet treats recipes I have on my blog. :)

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 8:20 am

no one would ever know our little healthy secret ;)

Emilyposted January 4, 2013 at 7:59 am

I am desperate to try some of your recipes, but I am from the UK and was wondering if you could help me in regards to conversions. I have tried a few websites before, but my baking never seems to come off to well when using them. I was just wondering if you could recommend the most accurate way to calculate grams? Thanks.

Ali | Gimme Some Ovenposted January 4, 2013 at 8:46 am

Oh my goodness – I would happily go for any of these in a minute! I love how you make healthy taste SO good!! :)

Shainaposted January 4, 2013 at 8:54 am

Chocolate cherry protein shakes are my favorite!!! I love that you post healthy recipes that still pack tons of good flavor. I love using ingredients like Greek yogurt or applesauce to lighten up recipes. I can’t wait to try some of yours out :)

This is one of my favorite healthy cookies that I made in the past and should definitely make again soon: http://www.takeabiteoutofboca.com/2012/01/white-chocolate-cherry-oatmeal-cookies.html

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 11:01 am

same with me, Shaina – using greek yogurt and applesauce to lighten up baked goods. I love making smoothies, I need to post more smoothie recipes this year. I have to check out your oatmeal cookies. I’m making oatmeal cookies this weekend!

Jen @ Savory Simpleposted January 4, 2013 at 9:08 am

Thank you for this! Boy do I need to detox from the holiday sugar.

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 11:00 am

you and I alike, Jen. And I LOVE your quinoa recipe today. I bookmarked it!

Cassie | Bake Your Dayposted January 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

Wow, what a great list, Sally! Thanks for including my soup! :-)

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 11:00 am

thank YOU for making that crazy amazing soup Cassie. it’s on my “to-make soup” list. yes, i have one of those. :)

Anndyposted January 4, 2013 at 10:45 am

This is the perfect post for me! I always look for healthy recipes in your blog. Sometimes I don’t have time to bake a long batch Of muffins so, sometimes I bake the single serving muffin or… Only the oat streusel topping from the sky High apple pie muffins!!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 10:59 am

mmm love that oat streusel topping. :) Thanks Anndy – and let me know if you make anything else from this list! I’m glad you enjoy the healthier recipes, they aren’t always as popular as the decadent ones.

Rossi @ A Baking Girlposted January 4, 2013 at 10:48 am

I made the peanut butter swirl brownies, and they were fabulous! Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes, and I can’t wait for more this year!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 10:58 am

That’s great to hear, Rossi! Thanks for letting me know. Let me know if you make any others. :)

Meredithposted January 4, 2013 at 10:52 am

I want to try your strawberry muffins this weekend! Do you think frozen strawberries would work? The fresh ones aren’t looking so great these days. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 10:58 am

frozen strawberries will work in these muffins, yes! Thanks Meredith.

Herbivore Triathleteposted January 4, 2013 at 11:04 am

What a great list! I will have to go through it more thoroughly when I get home from work, there looks to be several I’d like to try.

Karlyposted January 4, 2013 at 11:06 am

Uh, would it still be healthy to have one of each for breakfast this morning? Because dayum. All that looks amazing!

Thanks for linking to my cauliflower bites!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 11:10 am

i NEED to make those cauliflower bites… like yesterday!

Lauraposted January 4, 2013 at 11:33 am

Everything looks so good. I think I’m going to make those pretzels this weekend! :)

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 11:42 am

amazing! Laura, you have to let me know how they turn out. Hope you have a great weekend and have fun with those pretzels!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweetposted January 4, 2013 at 11:39 am

Wow! This post is packed with delicious treats! Can’t believe all of them are healthy. They look too scrumptious, Sally! :) Thank you so much for the linky love! xoxo

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 11:43 am

Thanks Anna – and that ice cream sounds incredible! thank YOU for that recipe. :)

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakesposted January 4, 2013 at 11:41 am

Love this roundup, Sally, and my waistline thanks you! As do I for including my black bean sliders – cheers to a healthy 2013!!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

how could i NOT include them? They look SO darn good and I can’t wait to try them, Meagan!

Elaineposted January 4, 2013 at 12:00 pm

So many awesome recipes! I love ALL of your recipes that I’ve tried, but the skinny ones are my favorites. I actually just posted a new skinny cookie recipe (a new favorite!) and I’m going to do a skinny recipe round-up this weekend as well. Here’s to trying to lose all of that holiday weight I gained! haha

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

can’t wait to see your new cookies today Elaine! Thanks so much, as always. have a great weekend!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted January 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Thanks for including my Baked Parsnip Fries with Cream Balsamic Reduction Dip in your roundup and what a great bunch of ideas! It’s that time of year to get healthy (or at least people talk about it…haha!) and try to give the cookies a break, at least momentarily.

I love how so many of your healthy recipes are loaded with oats and texture (and a bit of chocolate too) :) All faves of mine!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

My cookie break lasted a couple weeks! But I’m obviously baking more this weekend. :) Oh well. Can you blame me? Oats, chocolate, and peanut butter mmake up a majority of my blog! oh and sprinkles, too. obviously!

Rutaposted January 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I love healthy foods! Especially desserts. This page if definitely one I’ll visit a lot.

One of my favorite healthy treats is this Double Decker Chocolate Cake: http://mouthwateringfoods.blogspot.com/2012/12/double-decker-chocolate-cake.html

I swear you cannot tell it’s good for you!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I have GOT to check out that cake!!

Luv What You Doposted January 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I love everything in your list! I just made a huge bowl of veggie soup to start the new year and my other favorite healthy recipe is homemade hummus. It’s fantastic and okay to lick the bowl while you’re making : )

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted January 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm

So I have a weird confession. I almost never make anyone else’s healthy recipes. I love finding the really unhealthy ones, and then changing them up. However, there are definitely several of yours that are on my list, and after those chocolate cookies, I think it’ll be happening sooner rather than later! :)

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2013 at 9:05 am

You make your own clever and incredible healthy recipes, Ari. You don’t need inspiration from us!! :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted January 4, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I love all these ideas Sally! And, FYI, my favorite marinara recipe is from Giada – her Everyday Italian cookbook. I’ve tweaked it so much it’s now mine, but hers was my beginning!

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2013 at 8:58 am

LOVE IT!! Thanks Dorothy – I’m going to check that out at the book store. seriously, thank you!!

Jennposted January 4, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Yum! I want to try that cinnamon toffee apple dip.

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2013 at 8:59 am

my favorite “dessert” dip ever. Thanks Jenn, have a nice weekend!

Ashton @ Something Swankyposted January 5, 2013 at 12:10 am

Thanks for the linky love!! AWESOME round up, Sally! You are amazing :)

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2013 at 9:02 am

oh no Ashton… YOU are!

Jessposted January 5, 2013 at 2:00 am

Now this is a New Year’s round-up I can get behind! Awesome collection, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2013 at 9:04 am

You and I alike, Jess! I want to try out so many of the other bloggers’ recipes I linked to at the bottom. :) Have a nice weekend!

Laura Dembowskiposted January 5, 2013 at 11:47 am

I love all your healthy recipes. Life is all about balance! My favorite healthy recipe is Cabbage Slaw with Vinegar Dressing. It is fat free and full of super healthy ingredients. I actually made it last night and added orange zest and apple cider vinegar. http://piesandplots.net/cabbage-slaw-with-vinegar-dressing/

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Laura, that sounds SO good. I always buy the pre-mixed packaged cabbage slaw from the produce aisle and add it to salads. I need to try it with your vinegar dressing. and orange zest of course. :) Thanks for the link!

Heidi @ Food Doodlesposted January 5, 2013 at 9:42 pm

OK, I looooove this roundup! I always go for the healthier stuff anyways so this is perfect for me :) I don’t really do the resolution thing but I made some goals this year to help me stay on track. I find it so hard to stay motivated to workout in the winter! But I can do it this year! :D

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2013 at 8:19 am

It’s hard for me to stay motivated when it’s so chilly outside too, Heidi. I just want to curl up on the couch with a huge blanket! And watch How I Met Your Mother! ;)

angela @ anotherbitepleaseposted January 5, 2013 at 9:51 pm

when you find the killer tomato sauce recipe will you please share :-) my resolutions food related: one new dinner per week, bread=yeast=homemade=sally’s raspberry rolls not food project 365, read 26 books

love the recipe roundup.

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2013 at 8:20 am

read 26 books? you go girl! and one new dinner per week? great idea! I should do something like that. we’ve been looking for some variations and new recipes! Will be sure to send you that tomato sauce recipe if/when I find one!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted January 6, 2013 at 3:10 am

I love this post! I really do need to eat a bit healthier now – my skinny jeans are fitting way too tight these days!

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2013 at 8:24 am

you and I alike, girl! thanks for all the tweet love last night, copyright infringement is the worst. :(

Mercedesposted January 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Your skinny peanut butter brownies are a recipe I have been meaning to try since I first discovered your wonderful blog, and I am going to make it a point to do it this month!

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

you will LOVE them Mercedes!! so easy to make and unbelievable tasting. It’s crazy that they are healthy – do not taste it in the slightest!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted January 6, 2013 at 10:09 pm

You’re a master at turning the decadent into something healthy! I love everything on your list! :-) Oh, and thank you SO MUCH for including my lightened up General Tso’s Chicken. xo!

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2013 at 6:10 am

of course, Ashley! Thank you for making that wonderful recipe and sharing it with us. I haven’t tried it for myself yet, but I plan to sometime this month. I love general tso’s but NOT how bad it is for me…. it’s soooo heavy!

Rachel Cooksposted January 7, 2013 at 8:11 am

Such a great list! Thank you for including me!

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchenposted January 7, 2013 at 11:20 am

I used to eat cold cereal for breakfast all the time in college, but now I’m strictly an egg girl. All of your yummy granola recipes look perfect for a late-night snack though!

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I am still a granola/cold cereal fiend! For the amount I can eat, it’s not so “healthy” at the end of the day haha! Thanks Loretta. :)