How to make Baked Sweet Potato Fries.

Learn how to make crisp sweet potato fries at home. Baked, not fried – so you can feel good about eating them!

Learn how to make crisp sweet potato fries at home. Baked, not fried - so you can feel good about eating them!

I have a confession.

I am not only addicted to desserts; I have a serious obsession with sweet potato fries.  Well, if we’re being honest – I have an obsession with ALL things sweet potato.  Baked sweet potato wedges, sweet potato casserole, sweet potato chips, sweet potato chili, and my mom’s brown sugar glazed sweet potatoes. (<- my favorite thanksgiving side dish.)

I make baked sweet potato fries at home all the time.  Since they’re baked and not fried, I feel good about snacking on them or serving them up with dinner.  The “recipe” is so simple, I never thought to share it on my blog. But the time has come; I can no longer keep my love for these cinnamon-spiced fries a secret.

{polish: Essie “For the Twill of It”}

The first step is to start with some sweet potatoes. The amount of potatoes depends on how many fries you want to make.  For the two of us, I always use 2 very large sweet potatoes. Sometimes three, which makes a ton of fries.  I’ve never complained about snacking on the extra sweet potato fries, that’s for sure.

If you’re baking for just yourself, I’d use 1 large sweet potato.  If you’re making the fries as a side dish for a family of 4+, I’d use 1 small size sweet potato per person depending how hungry you are.

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries. Easy, healthy, + cheap. | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Wash, peel, and chop the sweet potatoes up into french fry shapes with a very, very sharp knife.  When I first started making these fries at home, the shapes of my fries were all over the place. I didn’t cut them very neatly at all. But I’ve picked up on french fry shaping; it takes practice.  They all won’t be perfect.

I like to cut the fries to be a little thin.  Not shoestring-style and not too thick. About 1/4 inch wide. Like so:

Here’s a trick I’ve learned over the years:  toss your fries into a touch of cornstarch right after you slice them. This creates a very thin layer of coating and help the fries get crispy in the oven. To coat, toss the fries and cornstarch in a large bowl or throw both into a large ziplock bag and shake shake shake.  The second option is obviously more fun.  You want cornstarch to go onto the fries before the oil and the spices or else your fries will have large white lumps and taste like cornstarch.

After they’re coated with cornstarch, sprinkle with a touch of olive oil (or coconut oil) and cinnamon-sugar. The oil will help your fries crisp up in the oven.

Instead of coating in cinnamon-sugar, sometimes I sprinkle the fries with a touch of salt and cayenne pepper. Or just simply sprinkle with salt. The spice is totally up to you and what you like.

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries. Easy & cheap. | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Line the fries up on a Silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Try not to crowd them and make sure they have a bit of space in between each other.  The less fries on the pan, the better.  Too many fries shoved together and they’ll just steam – not bake.

Bake for 15 minutes at 400F degrees.  Remove from the oven and flip them over. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.  Make sure to rotate your pan during the bake times or else you may get some burnt ends.  My oven has hot spots, so I always make sure to rotate the pan.

Here’s another trick that I learned after making my baked apple chips.  Turn the oven off completely and crack open.  Keep the baked sweet potato fries inside and allow to sit there for about 30+ minutes.  Sitting in the oven as it cools down, rather than sitting at room temperature, will help your fries get crispier.  The crispier, the better in my opinion!

Obviously you may not have time for that step, so it’s not mandatory.  But I try to plan ahead so I have time. No matter what you do though, some fries will still be soft. There is just no way around it with sweet potatoes because of their moisture content.  Using a couple of these tricks certainly helps in the crisp factor though.

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries. Simple and healthy. Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Now it’s time to gobble them up.

I love making these because sweet potatoes are (1) cheap (2) readily available year-round (3) nutritious (4) don’t spoil quickly (5) easy (6) delicious.

The second I was finished with this photoshoot, I downed the fries in minutes. I honestly don’t even think I took a breath of air. I could live on sweet potato fries for the rest of my life. I love their crispy ends and soft centers!

PS: Do you know about my addiction to ketchup? You guys, it’s embarrassingly bad. My family calls me the condiment queen. I’ll have a side of fries with my ketchup, thankyouverymuch.

PPS: Did you know that 1 sweet potato contains over twice the amount of vitamin A you need for the day?  Yeah.  And trust me, it’s easy to eat more than one sweet potato worth of these fries!

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling

Crispy edges, soft centers, nutritious and delicious. Baked, not fried - so you can feel good about eating them!

Ingredients:

• Sweet potatoes - 1 per person
  • 2 teaspoons of cornstarch per large potato
  • 1 Tablespoon of olive oil (or coconut oil) per large potato
  • cinnamon-sugar or salt, cayenne, curry, pumpkin pie spice, garlic - anything you please

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  2 large sliced potatoes are usually too crowded on 1 sheet, but it depends on their size.  You may need an additional sheet. Set aside.

Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut off the ends. With a *very* sharp knife, cut the potatoes into thin slices about 1/4 inch wide.  Place in a large bowl or ziplock bag and toss with cornstarch. You want a nice thin coating.  Pour the potatoes into a strainer to get rid of any extra cornstarch.  Discard the extra cornstarch out of the mixing bowl too. Place potatoes back into the bowl and add the olive oil and seasoning(s) of choice.

Line the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet.  Try not to crowd them or else they won't bake, they'll just steam.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven and flip. Place back into the oven for 10-15 more minutes. Make sure to rotate the pan to avoid uneven browning.  Don’t fret if the edges are a little brown, they will taste more caramelized than burnt.

Turn the oven off and keep the fries inside as the oven cools down for about 30 minutes. This step will help the fries get crispier. Enjoy immediately.

Here’s another healthy snack idea: Crunchy Baked Apple Chips

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips-3

Try my cinnamon-sugar version next!

Cinnamon Sugar Sweet Potato Fries by @sallybakeblog

See more savory recipe ideas.

190 Responses to “How to make Baked Sweet Potato Fries.”

melissaposted December 12, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I stumbled upon your website last night after Googling “sweet potato fries”. I did try these this morning and they were delicious. I bookmarked your website because I think I want to make every single recipe you have. The pictures are beautiful and everything is very well written. Great job!!

• Sallyreplied on December 12th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Melissa! That means a lot to me. I absolutely love making sweet potato fries this way.

Lelijaposted December 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hi Sally!

These look delicious and I was wondering if I could replace them with regular potatoes (just in case I run out of sweet potatoes).

Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 10:14 pm

You sure can use regular white potatoes inside (or in addition to). Enjoy!

Laurieposted January 3, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I love sweet potatoes too! You have to try The Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Soul Sweet Potatoes. To die for!

Something to try for seasoning these fries is to add a little bit if chili powder in with the cinnamon sugar. Yep, tasty!

• Sallyreplied on January 3rd, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Oh the chili powder with the cinnamon sugar – love that Laurie! And thanks for the recipe link!

Lydiaposted January 13, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I just took mine out of the oven and they were FANTASTIC I mean they were so good I use cayenne and another one was rosemary but they were mouthwatering. I could live on these thing just amazing.

• Sallyreplied on January 13th, 2014 at 8:46 pm

mmm I love them with some rosemary. Thanks for reporting back Lydia!

Karinposted January 17, 2014 at 11:26 am

I would love to make these but we have corn allergies in the house. 🙁
    Do you think arrowroot would work just as well? I use that sometimes for a cornstarch substitute if I don’t have to use too much.

Love your recipes BTW!

• Sallyreplied on January 17th, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Hi Karin! I’m so happy you enjoy my recipes. That’s always so, so nice to hear (read!). For the corn allergy… I’ve never tried arrowroot instead of the cornstarch, but I suspect it to work out just fine. I have had a few readers use flour instead (using a very light coating). I have never tried either option, but if you do – let me know.

Aurelposted January 31, 2014 at 8:37 am

Sally, my dad brought ALOT of sweet potatoes and i said to him that I’m going to make these. But the issue is i ran out of coconut oil even olive oil, so can i use palm oil or melted butter? Or could i just omit the oil? Please reply bc gonna make them tomorrow and ofcourse im going to tell you how it works

• Sallyreplied on January 31st, 2014 at 9:54 am

You may use palm oil or melted butter if you need to. Enjoy!

Emma and Carla aka THE MERRYMAKER SISTERSposted February 27, 2014 at 6:16 am

Ohhh these look so crispy + yummy! We had sweet potato chippies with dinner tonight. Not so crispy as we couldn’t wait long enough OOOPS! 🙂

Kristinaposted April 2, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I have to share the unique seasoning mix I came across a month or so ago: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/10/spicy-sweet-potatoes-fries-recipe.html

It’s SO good!

Biancaposted April 4, 2014 at 7:46 am

This is the first sort-of savory recipe that I’ve tried from your blog, and it was amazing! Previously I only thought you could get fries this crispy by deep-frying, which often translates to a guilty conscience when I have one after another. But this recipe is seriously life-changing! Thanks so much, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on April 4th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Thanks Bianca – and it’s very possible to get that irresistible crisp with baking. Happy you enjoyed them!

Meganposted April 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Sweet potatoes are from heaven! I love to bake them and top with peanut butter and cinnamon but I was thinking of trying oven baked fries to change it up!

Lizposted June 5, 2014 at 10:43 am

Thank you for the nice recipe – with and without frosting.

Ann Bposted June 19, 2014 at 11:59 am

Sally, thanks for your tips! Eating mine with ketchup right now. Just a few changes, I never bake at a higher temp than 375 degrees. Also, I prefer savory fries and use Cajun seasoning instead of cinnamon or sugar. So good!

Daphneposted July 31, 2014 at 10:38 am

Hi Sally! Is it possible to use flour in place of corn starch?

• Sallyreplied on July 31st, 2014 at 7:42 pm

That would be just fine here Daphne.

Hayleyposted August 7, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for the tip about the cornstarch! I’ve tried about 8 different baked sweet potato fries recipes from 8 different websites over the past year & this is the first recipe where, not only were all of the fries firm and not falling apart when you tried to pick them up, but a decent amount of them were crispy like the real “fried” kind too! Now this is my “go-to” sweet potato fry recipe 😉

Kimposted August 18, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I have been making these since my daughter started eating. It’s a great first food if you are doing baby led weening, but every time I’ve ever made them, they turn out mushy and not crispy. I never would have thought to try the cornstarch. Next time I make them, I’m going to add this step in.

Jessiposted September 18, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Is it possible to use an electric skillet for these fries?

• Sallyreplied on September 19th, 2014 at 10:49 am

Definitely! You’ll have to add oil to the electric skillet and I am unsure of the exact amount and exact temperature. I just prefer baking.

Mindyposted December 10, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I love sweet potato fries, but I have never been able to get them to crisp – until now! I made these tonight and they were awesome. I think the corn starch and leaving the oven cracked a few minutes was the difference. I ended up cooking my fries for longer and hotter in my oven so that I didn’t have to flip. Thank you for sharing!

Jacquelineposted December 23, 2014 at 1:34 pm

These look so good! However, I’m highly allergic to corn. Would there be any possible substituions for the cornstarch?

Michelleposted January 17, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Hi! I only have yams right now. Would they work?

100
    thegrub78posted January 28, 2015 at 11:30 am

Hi Sally! Planning on using 2 sweet potatoes, however, I don’t think they fit on one sheet. Is it okay to have 2 sheets at the same time in the oven or do you suggest baking in 2 batches?

• Sallyreplied on January 28th, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I suggest baking in separate batches– don’t want to crowd the oven which could prevent the fries from baking evenly and crisping up.

101
    Elenaposted June 2, 2015 at 5:44 pm

These are delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I think I just joined the sweet potatoe fan club 🙂

102
    Hetalposted July 27, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Did you use cinnamon sugar or cayenne pepper and salt in the pictures above?

103
    Erin @ Thanks for Cookin'!posted September 20, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Yes on all counts except ketchup. Definitely no to the ketchup! Lol Thanks for the cornstarch tip. Can’t wait to try it!

104
    Wendyposted September 24, 2015 at 12:11 pm

When  I make sweet potato fries.  I use Morton’s seasoning blend and chili powder on them before I bake them.  I also peel then microwave the sweet potato for about 5 minutes to make the fries easier to cut.

105
    Maureenposted January 25, 2016 at 7:32 pm

These fries are so delicious! While my husband enjoyed your  BBQ Meatballs over mashed potatoes, I chose salad with your best Italian Dressing and lots of sweet potato fries.
    Thanks again, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on January 25th, 2016 at 8:20 pm

That italian dressing all over a delicious salad with sweet potato fries?! Sounds like my kind of dinner.

106
    Cherylposted February 3, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I dip sweet potato fries  (leave skins on)  in plain Greek yogurt with added cinnamon.  So cinnamon in the dip instead. I am used to plain greek yogurt, maybe you aren’t.