How to make Baked Sweet Potato Fries.

Learn how to make crisp sweet potato fries at home. Baked, not fried – so you can feel good about eating them!

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries.  Simple and healthy. Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

I have a confession.

I am not only addicted to desserts; I have a serious obsession with sweet potato fries.  Well, if we’re being honest – I have an obsession with ALL things sweet potato.  Baked sweet potato wedges, sweet potato casserole, sweet potato chips, sweet potato chili, and my mom’s brown sugar glazed sweet potatoes. (<- my favorite thanksgiving side dish.)

I make baked sweet potato fries at home all the time.  Since they’re baked and not fried, I feel good about snacking on them or serving them up with dinner.  The “recipe” is so simple, I never thought to share it on my blog. But the time has come; I can no longer keep my love for these cinnamon-spiced fries a secret.

{polish: Essie “For the Twill of It”}

The first step is to start with some sweet potatoes. The amount of potatoes depends on how many fries you want to make.  For the two of us, I always use 2 very large sweet potatoes. Sometimes three, which makes a ton of fries.  I’ve never complained about snacking on the extra sweet potato fries, that’s for sure.

If you’re baking for just yourself, I’d use 1 large sweet potato.  If you’re making the fries as a side dish for a family of 4+, I’d use 1 small size sweet potato per person depending how hungry you are.

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries.  Easy, healthy, + cheap. | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Wash, peel, and chop the sweet potatoes up into french fry shapes with a very, very sharp knife.  When I first started making these fries at home, the shapes of my fries were all over the place. I didn’t cut them very neatly at all. But I’ve picked up on french fry shaping; it takes practice.  They all won’t be perfect.

I like to cut the fries to be a little thin.  Not shoestring-style and not too thick. About 1/4 inch wide. Like so:

Here’s a trick I’ve learned over the years:  toss your fries into a touch of cornstarch right after you slice them. This creates a very thin layer of coating and help the fries get crispy in the oven. To coat, toss the fries and cornstarch in a large bowl or throw both into a large ziplock bag and shake shake shake.  The second option is obviously more fun.  You want cornstarch to go onto the fries before the oil and the spices or else your fries will have large white lumps and taste like cornstarch.

After they’re coated with cornstarch, sprinkle with a touch of olive oil (or coconut oil) and cinnamon-sugar. The oil will help your fries crisp up in the oven.

Instead of coating in cinnamon-sugar, sometimes I sprinkle the fries with a touch of salt and cayenne pepper. Or just simply sprinkle with salt. The spice is totally up to you and what you like.

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries.  Easy & cheap. | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Line the fries up on a Silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Try not to crowd them and make sure they have a bit of space in between each other.  The less fries on the pan, the better.  Too many fries shoved together and they’ll just steam – not bake.

Bake for 15 minutes at 400F degrees.  Remove from the oven and flip them over. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.  Make sure to rotate your pan during the bake times or else you may get some burnt ends.  My oven has hot spots, so I always make sure to rotate the pan.

Here’s another trick that I learned after making my baked apple chips.  Turn the oven off completely and crack open.  Keep the baked sweet potato fries inside and allow to sit there for about 30+ minutes.  Sitting in the oven as it cools down, rather than sitting at room temperature, will help your fries get crispier.  The crispier, the better in my opinion!

Obviously you may not have time for that step, so it’s not mandatory.  But I try to plan ahead so I have time. No matter what you do though, some fries will still be soft. There is just no way around it with sweet potatoes because of their moisture content.  Using a couple of these tricks certainly helps in the crisp factor though.

Now it’s time to gobble them up. ;)

I love making these because sweet potatoes are (1) cheap (2) readily available year-round (3) nutritious (4) don’t spoil quickly (5) easy (6) delicious.

The second I was finished with this photoshoot, I downed the fries in minutes. I honestly don’t even think I took a breath of air. I could live on sweet potato fries for the rest of my life. I love their crispy ends and soft centers!

Depending on how you coated your fries, you can dip them in anything you’d like.  I like to dip my salt/spicy cayenne fries into ketchup. And for my cinnamon-sugar fries? I like them plain.  They have so much flavor is as, you really don’t need a dip!

PS: Do you know about my addiction to ketchup??? You guys, it’s embarrassingly bad. My family calls me the condiment queen. I’ll have a side of fries with my ketchup, thankyouverymuch.

PPS: Did you know that 1 sweet potato contains over twice the amount of vitamin A you need for the day?  Yeah.  And trust me, it’s easy to eat more than one sweet potato worth of these fries!

PrintPrint SaveSave

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Crispy edges, soft centers, nutritious and delicious. Baked, not fried - so you can feel good about eating them!

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling

Ingredients:

• Sweet potatoes - 1 per person
  • 2 teaspoons of cornstarch per large potato
  • 1 Tablespoon of olive oil (or coconut oil) per large potato
  • cinnamon-sugar or salt, cayenne, curry, pumpkin pie spice, garlic - anything you please

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  2 large sliced potatoes are usually too crowded on 1 sheet, but it depends on their size.  You may need an additional sheet. Set aside.

Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut off the ends. With a *very* sharp knife, cut the potatoes into thin slices about 1/4 inch wide.  Place in a large bowl or ziplock bag and toss with cornstarch. You want a nice thin coating.  Pour the potatoes into a strainer to get rid of any extra cornstarch.  Discard the extra cornstarch out of the mixing bowl too. Place potatoes back into the bowl and add the olive oil and seasoning(s) of choice.

Line the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet.  Try not to crowd them or else they won't bake, they'll just steam.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven and flip. Place back into the oven for 10-15 more minutes. Make sure to rotate the pan to avoid uneven browning.  Don’t fret if the edges are a little brown, they will taste more caramelized than burnt.

Turn the oven off and keep the fries inside as the oven cools down for about 30 minutes. This step will help the fries get crispier. Enjoy immediately.

Ok, let’s see that all together now…

Learn how to make crisp sweet potato fries at home. Baked, not fried – so you can feel good about eating them!

Are you looking for more healthy snack ideas?

Crunchy Baked Apple Chips

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips-3

Breakfast Cookies

Breakfast Cookies

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bakes

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana No Bake Cookies

Skinny Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies

Skinny Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies-2

Banana Nutella Granola

Banana Nutella Granola

Skinny Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Dip

Skinny Snickerdoodle Dip

Averie makes her sweet potato fries a little differently and loves to drizzle fun toppings on them.

To get her recipe, you have to check out her cookbook!

Peanut Butter Comfort Sweet Potato Fries

170 Responses to “How to make Baked Sweet Potato Fries.”

Amyposted September 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I just made these awesome fries and wanted to thank you for your tip on leaving them in the oven for 30 minutes! I’ve tried them before with no luck. I can tell you that I’m eating them right out of the oven and they are delicious! I’m on a special diet so wasn’t able to use the cornstarch. I used EVOO and sea salt. Then decided to try a little cinnamon. They are incredible. Congratulations on your cookbook – I look forward to seeing it.

• Sallyreplied on September 13th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

That is wonderful Amy! So happy you tried them and are loving them. EVOO + cinnamon is my favorite topper for them.

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queenposted September 13, 2013 at 9:55 pm

MMM delish!! Condiments are necessary, especially for fries!! I mix ranch and ketchup, now I want some!! I need to try sweet potatoes again, the fries you made here look gorgeous!!

BobCposted September 13, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Thanks for the “tricks” – just made a trial batch – perfecto! Making some for friends later when rugby league finals (the real Aussie football) is on TV downunder.

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2013 at 11:12 am

Woohoo! Glad you loved the fries!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted September 14, 2013 at 1:56 am

Sally – I am OBSESSED with sweet potato fries but I can never get them crisp as I want them to. I can’t wait to give your recipe a try – it looks like a winner!

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2013 at 11:07 am

You have to try these “crispy” tricks Chung-Ah! Enjoy :)

• Jacynthereplied on September 14th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I wanted to thank you Sally. Before trying these, I walked around saying I didn’t like sweet potatoes. You know because first time I did try them, they were aweful :-P now because of this great and easy way to cook them, I think I can say I reallllllly like sweet pataoes !! Oh and my boyfriend actually ate what ever was left. So definetly a big winner in our house. Thank you again :-) keep the great recipes coming, simple easy and DELISHHH!!! :-D

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 8:29 am

Very happy you enjoyed these Jacynthe!

Moposted September 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

they just came out of the oven, i couldnt resist and tried one, OMG SO GOOD !

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I know, they are irresistible. ;)

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete}posted September 14, 2013 at 8:51 pm

YUM! I love sweet potatoes of all kinds; fries, tots, in chili, baked, mashed, etc. I will have to try Averie’s version with peanut butter as well…

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 8:26 am

Sweet potato tots – now that’s something I’ve got to try!

stuck.like.glueposted September 15, 2013 at 3:42 am

hi sally!! the sweet potato fries are amazing!! please keep more recipes coming! (: but i have a problem, my fries keeps getting stuck to my wax paper which means that i can’t eat it whole. Please help, i cant wait to enjoy it to it’s full capacity!

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 8:21 am

Try a silicone baking mat – completely nonstick and easy to clean. That should help! :)

• stuck.like.gluereplied on September 16th, 2013 at 3:30 am

ooo, great suggestion! thank you for the fast reply and the recipe! keep ‘em coming sally! (:

Jeannieposted September 15, 2013 at 6:29 am

Hi I just made these SweetPotato Fries for dinner with Roast Lamb and they were fabulous. I am super impressed with your blog and I have been searching it finding heaps of great recipes. Thanks for all the hard work you put into your blog it really makes reading it a pleasure.

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 8:21 am

Thanks for all the kind words Jeannie, I’m happy you’re enjoying my blog and that you tried and loved these fries. Thanks for reporting back!

Jess C.posted September 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm

HOOOLY SMOKES. So I have loved sweet potato fries ever since I had them at applebees a few years ago and I just made these. MAN ARE THEY DELICIOUS!! I didn’t add any sugar, since I like my food with as little sugar as possible, and made them with just cinnamon. They made my house smell amazing and they taste JUST the way I want them too. Oh my gosh..thanks so much!

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Jess I am so glad you made these – AND that you loved them too! Thanks for reporting back. :)

Irina @ wandercrushposted September 15, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Argh, yours look so perfectly crispy! I swear I’ve made sweet potato fries about 5 different times with 5 different sworn tricks and tips for maximum crispiness… all without avail! I’ll have to follow this recipe to a T, though, since the proof is in the photos :o

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Let me know how you like them Irina! Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Are your baking soda and cream of tartar up to date? And did you use a silicone baking mat by chance? They prevent spreading.

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted September 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Oooh, definitely trying out that cornstarch tip! I’m not big on the ketchup, but my husband is…I think he uses nearly half a bottle each time we make fries!

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Half a bottle of ketchup = yes. lol!

Laura Dembowskiposted September 15, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I love baked sweet potato fries too, Sally! I make them all the time. I will have to try the cornstarch trick. I like to bake mine at 425 so they get extra crispy. I also bake them right on the sheet pan.

Erikaposted September 16, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Sally, I LOVE your tips for making sweet potato fries–I also make them all the time, though they’re not as restaurant-worthy as yours :)

I love seeing the occasional healthy dish from you! Have you gotten many requests for a post on what you eat on a daily basis? I for one would love to see how you stay so fit and skinny while baking all.the.time! I know you say you eat clean aside from baking and you run a lot but how do you keep from gaining weight when you’re surrounded by baked goods all the time??

• Sallyreplied on September 16th, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Erika, one of my favorite things about baking is sharing. I grew up with my grandma and mom who both loved sharing their goodies and I picked up on it. I love to bake for others and hope to open a bakery someday. So while I do test all of the recipes coming out of my kitchen, I like to share them with test tasters, neighbors, family, etc. But some recipes I hoard for myself, like all the healthy stuff!

• Erikareplied on September 16th, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Oh that’s awesome! I would LOVE to visit your future bakery someday!! And good tip–I’m sure everyone around you absolutely loves you :)

Erin @ Texanerin Bakingposted September 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I’ve been trying to make crispy sweet potato fries for the last few months. They never work out. :(

One trick that’s getting me there is soaking the potatoes after cutting them up. Have you tried that? It makes a big difference! Your version already looks perfect, though. :)

• Sallyreplied on September 19th, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Hi Erin! Yes, I have tried that – didn’t really notice that much a difference though. Maybe I didn’t soak long enough.

Kateposted September 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I was literally taking out sweet potatoes to bake them when I saw this on facebook. Now the fries are in the oven! I love everything sweet potato and am excited to see how the cornstarch affects the fries. So many reasons that I love this site.

Danposted September 29, 2013 at 10:42 am

These look amazing!!! Will make them very soon. I love sweet potato fries, and these are crispy which make them even more perfect!

• Sallyreplied on September 29th, 2013 at 11:08 am

Thanks Dan! Let me know what you think of them once you try.

Chantalposted October 2, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I just tried your sweet potato fries, OMG! I’ve been making them for years but they never all came out crispy but now with the addition of cornstarch, voila! Thank you! I wanted to tell you that I put smoked paprika, cayenne, cinnamon and salt, delicious combo.
    I love your site!
    I wanted to ask you out of all your healthy choice desserts, which would you say is your favorite?

Erinposted October 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for another great recipe. My 1 year old son and I are enjoying them as an afternoon snack.

Oge @ healthy food deliveryposted November 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thanks Sally for this wonderful recipe! I love that these sweet potato chips are crispy and guilt-free. Thanks also for the tip on turning the oven off and crack open while the fries cool down. I have been experimenting with baked apple chips these days and I discovered the same thing sort of by accident. Now I’ll check out your baked chips recipe to see what else I can learn!

• Sallyreplied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Oge! Yes, the oven door trick really does help! I’m so happy you tried these. I love them.

bfposted November 18, 2013 at 5:56 pm

These sound delish! Am I able to cook them ahead of time and then reheat them in the oven (and preserve crispiness) or even just cut them the night before and cook the following evening? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on November 18th, 2013 at 7:48 pm

You may cut them up the night before and bake the following evening. You could also bake them all the way through and then reheat, but they won’t be as crispy. You could also make them, freeze them, then warm them back up in the oven. But in order to preserve the crispiness AND make ahead, I suggest just cutting the sweet potatoes one day and baking the next day.

melissaposted December 12, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I stumbled upon your website last night after Googling “sweet potato fries”. I did try these this morning and they were delicious. I bookmarked your website because I think I want to make every single recipe you have. The pictures are beautiful and everything is very well written. Great job!!

• Sallyreplied on December 12th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Melissa! That means a lot to me. I absolutely love making sweet potato fries this way.

Lelijaposted December 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hi Sally!

These look delicious and I was wondering if I could replace them with regular potatoes (just in case I run out of sweet potatoes).

Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 10:14 pm

You sure can use regular white potatoes inside (or in addition to). Enjoy!

Laurieposted January 3, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I love sweet potatoes too! You have to try The Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Soul Sweet Potatoes. To die for!

Something to try for seasoning these fries is to add a little bit if chili powder in with the cinnamon sugar. Yep, tasty!

• Sallyreplied on January 3rd, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Oh the chili powder with the cinnamon sugar – love that Laurie! And thanks for the recipe link!

Lydiaposted January 13, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I just took mine out of the oven and they were FANTASTIC I mean they were so good I use cayenne and another one was rosemary but they were mouthwatering. I could live on these thing just amazing.

• Sallyreplied on January 13th, 2014 at 8:46 pm

mmm I love them with some rosemary. Thanks for reporting back Lydia!

Karinposted January 17, 2014 at 11:26 am

I would love to make these but we have corn allergies in the house. :(
    Do you think arrowroot would work just as well? I use that sometimes for a cornstarch substitute if I don’t have to use too much.

Love your recipes BTW!

• Sallyreplied on January 17th, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Hi Karin! I’m so happy you enjoy my recipes. That’s always so, so nice to hear (read!). For the corn allergy… I’ve never tried arrowroot instead of the cornstarch, but I suspect it to work out just fine. I have had a few readers use flour instead (using a very light coating). I have never tried either option, but if you do – let me know.

Aurelposted January 31, 2014 at 8:37 am

Sally, my dad brought ALOT of sweet potatoes and i said to him that I’m going to make these. But the issue is i ran out of coconut oil even olive oil, so can i use palm oil or melted butter? Or could i just omit the oil? Please reply bc gonna make them tomorrow and ofcourse im going to tell you how it works

• Sallyreplied on January 31st, 2014 at 9:54 am

You may use palm oil or melted butter if you need to. Enjoy!

Emma and Carla aka THE MERRYMAKER SISTERSposted February 27, 2014 at 6:16 am

Ohhh these look so crispy + yummy! We had sweet potato chippies with dinner tonight. Not so crispy as we couldn’t wait long enough OOOPS! :)

Kristinaposted April 2, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I have to share the unique seasoning mix I came across a month or so ago: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/10/spicy-sweet-potatoes-fries-recipe.html

It’s SO good!

Biancaposted April 4, 2014 at 7:46 am

This is the first sort-of savory recipe that I’ve tried from your blog, and it was amazing! Previously I only thought you could get fries this crispy by deep-frying, which often translates to a guilty conscience when I have one after another. But this recipe is seriously life-changing! Thanks so much, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on April 4th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Thanks Bianca – and it’s very possible to get that irresistible crisp with baking. Happy you enjoyed them!

Meganposted April 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Sweet potatoes are from heaven! I love to bake them and top with peanut butter and cinnamon but I was thinking of trying oven baked fries to change it up!