20 Minute Chocolate Crescents (Croissants).

These shortcut chocolate croissants could not be any easier. Filled with rich chocolate, topped with more chocolate, and only 20 minutes from start to finish.

20 Minute Chocolate Croissants from sallysbakingaddiction.com - these could not be any easier!!

Are you ready for the world’s easiest recipe? Wait. Should I even call it a recipe when there are only 3 ingredients? Yup. Three ingredients, twenty minutes, chocolate chocolate chocolate, more chocolate, totally dangerous.

These chocolate croissants are my new favorite way to spend Saturday mornings. After 1 grueling hour of spin class, they’re completely necessary. I work out for chocolate.

I recently got in touch with Safeway for a little collaboration. They asked me to make a couple recipes using some of my favorite products from their grocery aisles. A couple weeks ago, I made these Pretzel Crusted Chicken Fingers. Which completely blew my mind.

And this week, I used Pillsbury® Crescent Rolls to make today’s treat.

20 Minute Chocolate Croissants - chocolate chips

Chocolate is a croissant’s best friend. Have you ever had a chocolate croissant before? Either homemade, from a bakery, from Paris (let’s go there so we can eat chocolate croissants and pretty little macarons together), made with chocolate pastry, layered with chocolate, whatever. No matter what form, chocolate croissants are mind-blowing.

…I don’t think I have to tell you that twice.

My shortcut version of a chocolate croissant (or should I say chocolate crescent?) couldn’t be any simpler. Sometimes shortcuts in the kitchen are welcomed with open arms, especially when life gets a little hectic. See link to my homemade danish pastry dough below the recipe if you’d like to make the croissants from scratch!

So, there’s just a few quick steps to get down: roll out, fill, roll up, bake. That’s about it. You may use chocolate chips, dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or heck – even white chocolate would be incredible. Absolutely trying that this Saturday morning. This time I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and a chopped dark chocolate bar.

Here are the steps. So easy.

The melty chocolate made me weak at the knees. Or maybe that was from spin class? I don’t know, my instructor is wildly intense. Top the chocolate filled croissants with more chocolate because (1) it looks pretty and (2) just because.

Oh, and try them warm with a side vanilla ice cream.

Join my chocolate croissant loving world, please. Enjoy!

20 Minute Chocolate Crescents (Crossaints)

These chocolate croissants could be any easier. Filled with rich chocolate, topped with more chocolate, and only 20 minutes from start to finish. This recipe may easily be doubled.

Yield: 8 croissants

Ingredients:

• can (8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped pure chocolate1
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 teaspoon shortening, optional

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350F degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Separate crescent roll dough into 8 triangles. Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon of chocolate chips/chunks on top of each triangle as shown above. Use your best judgement - if you think your triangle can hold more, add more. If you think it should hold less, use less chocolate chips. Press chips down lightly to get them to stick. Reserve remaining chocolate chips.
  3. Roll up, starting from wide end and rolling to opposite point. Place onto baking sheet and curve into croissant shape. Brush the croissants lightly with beaten egg - this helps gives them that golden sheen.
  4. Bake 12 to 17 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave in 10 second increment, stirring after each increment. Add shortening to thin out if desired. Drizzle over croissants and serve warm. Try adding fresh whipped cream or even salted caramel on top. Leftovers keep well covered tightly at room temperature for 3 days.

Recipe Notes:

1. I find that chopped pure chocolate melts much easier in the crescent dough than chocolate chips. I simply use a dark chocolate bar I had lying around. Any pure chocolate will do.

Adapted from Pillsbury

Did you make a recipe?

Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.

Try my Iced Raspberry Danish next.

You may use this homemade dough to make croissant pastry if you prefer.

Iced Raspberry Danish Pastry

And try these Chocolate Chip Scones, too.

Chocolate Chip Scones by sallysbakingaddiction.com

And S’mores Nutella Crepes.

S'mores Nutella Crepes

This post was sponsored by Safeway, Inc. Thanks for working with me, Safeway!

Comments

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on August 28, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Absolutely love these, the chocolate filling and drizzle is perfection!

2. Nicola on August 29, 2014 at 8:01 am

We get the most delicious pain au chocolat from the morning bakery van in France. My husband was initially, “Ugh, bread and chocolate together, what’s that all about?”, but I seem to have changed his mind. These look pretty tasty too!

3. Allyson on August 29, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Made these this morning to surprise my daughter as a special treat to end her “Birthday week” thanks again Sally.

• Sally on August 29, 2014 at 6:35 pm

How perfect. Happy birthday to her!

4. Cassie on August 29, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I’ve been making these for a while, and they’re delish. Totally worth keeping some crescent rolls on hand for them.

5. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) on August 29, 2014 at 10:22 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I love chocolate croissants-it’s dangerous how quickly I could have them!

6. Kristina on August 31, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Hi,
    Thank you for highlighting the easiness of homemade croissants! (albeit not as authentic as the proper French pastry delights) I’m from the UK so we don’t have the same brand ready-made dough as you guys, but I just use regular puff pastry instead. I don’t need to be asked twice to add extra chocolate to things but your photographs are shouting it at me! In fact, now I’ve read this I may have to make some this weekend 🙂

7. fanny on September 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm

8. Gilliane on September 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I made these for my daughter’s sleepover. Such a hit and so super easy!

9. Sandy on September 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Ooh forgot to mention I made these and the family and I had them with a side of left over mango salsa. Delicious and simple ^_^.

10. SpotDish Blog on October 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I love this recipe, so easy and delicious! I made these croissants with Market Pantry products from Target.

11. bnar.. kurd on October 21, 2014 at 8:43 am

yuuuuummmmyyy thank you to the reciep

12. Rebeca on November 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Heyy sally! I absolutely adore croissants in any form. i live in spain and we dont have that type of dough here. Do you think i could do it with puff pastry? Please answer. Xoxo

• Sally on November 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Yep! Puff pastry would be just fine for these Rebeca.

13. Jessica on April 5, 2015 at 4:29 pm

I just made these and they taste delicious! Very chocolatey.

14. Elle on May 12, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Hi,

You’ll probably delete this comment, as I see there are no negative comments on this recipe (first time blog reader – I just googled chocolate croissant recipe). I will look around your blog further, to be fair.

But pre-packaged, preservative-laden crescent roll dough does not in any way, shape, or form equal croissant. Several French chefs just rolled over in their graves.

It must be your collaboration with Safeway that skewed your vision. They must have sent you some cash or freebies. A baking blog to me implies from scratch. I would have even been ok with you calling them easy chocolate rolls (not from scratch).

• Stephanie on August 28, 2016 at 9:28 am

For those of us who are “cooking challenged” pre-packaged refrigerator dough is the only option.

I agree they are not very healthy, but chocolate croissants made from scratch are not healthy either.

I made these and they came out great.

• Sarah B. on November 15, 2016 at 4:49 pm

WOW! You’re a gem aren’t you? If you don’t like this recipe you can move along to one you like. But how about you try it out before you get so pissed about it? I’m not exactly sure where you read in this recipe that Sally claimed to be a French pastry chief.  I am very happy with this recipe because I have to bake sweet treats for 20 11-13 year old girls every Tuesday.  I don’t always have time to spend several hours baking so I am glad when s delicious easy recipe comes my way. And the girls I bake for are always very happy with whatever I bring them because they don’t have very much. For some of them my treats are all they get to eat all day long. I am sure they aren’t pissed that these chocolate crescent croissants aren’t a true French baked pastry.

15. Positive on August 10, 2015 at 12:08 am

I just made these for my  daughter and she loves them. I asked her if she’d like me to make them again and she said YES! What I loved most about this tastey little dessert is how quick and simple they were to make. Thanks for this easy idea!

16. M on June 30, 2016 at 6:39 am

How many grams is 1 cup of the chopped chocolate? It says different things on the Internet so now I’m just confused..

17. Addi on September 27, 2016 at 10:12 am

I am making these for a school project, and i need to know what they are supposed to taste like and what the texture should be. Can you help me?

18. Sally on December 14, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Can I use Nutella instead? Thanks.

19. Mary K on February 14, 2017 at 11:54 am

I made these, but was not impressed. By the time the crescents were golden brown, the chips had barely melted. That wouldn’t be so bad, but I couldn’t get the chocolate to a drizzly state at all… too firm, added butter, etc. Finally had to smear the chocolate over the surface. They looked pretty messy. Oh well. Tasted ok in the end.

20. Victoria on April 30, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Melt choc chips in microwave then use spoon to drop onto crescent dough. This solves issue w/ chips not melting by the time rolls are browned. Adding some mini marshmallows adds to the fun.

Reviews