You might want to sit down for what I’m about to tell you.
I’ve NEVER had a Cinnabon before. Yes, that’s correct. I’m a stranger to those ooey, gooey, vanilla glaze drippy, soft and moist (from what I’m told), HUGE cinnamon buns everyone knows and loves. I know, I must live on another planet or something. Can someone please get this girl to the nearest mall or something stat?
While I can’t compare them to a Cinnabon, I can certainly tell you that they taste exactly like your mom’s homemade cinnamon rolls. Or you know, the Pillsbury ones available in your local grocer’s dairy aisle. But they are lowfat, baked donuts. Something not typically associated with cinnamon buns! My secret is applesauce and low fat buttermilk.
They are so moist, rich-tasting, and flavorful. And chock full of cinnamon flavor. Feel free to add or reduce the amount of cinnamon if you prefer. Now, let’s discuss that super drippy, luscious vanilla glaze. It’s a simple 3 ingredient glaze reminiscent of a Krispy Kreme glaze– unlike a Cinnabon, I’ve actually had a Krispy Kreme before!
You’ll be surprised just how cheap and easy it is to make baked donuts – they take less than 10 minutes in the oven! Plus, you have complete control over the ingredients you add in. Skip the bakery, make your donuts at home!
I found my donut pan at Target for under $10 and has been worth its weight in gold.
Cinnamon Bun Donuts with Vanilla Glaze
Baked (not fried) donuts at home. Delicious with coffee!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (add more or less, depending on how strong of a cinnamon bun taste you’d like)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted (do not omit!)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons milk or cream (I used vanilla almond milk)
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees and spray donut pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, add applesauce, lowfat buttermilk, egg, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk or stir to combine. Slowly add to the dry ingredients. Stir until *just combined.* Do not overmix.
- Using a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut off, pipe the batter carefully into prepared donut pan making sure each cavity is only 2/3 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes (donuts should be fluffy and should spring back when touched - mine took exactly 10 minutes).
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan, about 5 minutes. Dip into glaze.
- While donuts are baking or cooling, combine the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Add the milk or cream (whichever you are using), one teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. I used 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of almond milk. Dip the donuts into the glaze after they’ve cooled for 5 minutes out of the oven.
Adapted from Averie Cooks
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
ps: If you like these donuts, you will flip for my Mini (no yeast) Cinnamon Buns 🙂