Super-moist banana crumb cake layered with cinnamon, brown sugar, and chocolate chip streusel.
After the crumb cake received rave reviews from our family, I knew I had to share the recipe with you.
This coffee cake/crumb cake recipe actually comes from my Amy. Amy and her family enjoy this banana chocolate chip crumb cake every year on Christmas. The crumb cake is left fabulously moist from these 3 ingredients: mashed ripe bananas, yogurt, and creamed butter. I actually took out some of the butter from the original recipe and subbed in more yogurt. With so much flavor and so much streusel, you won’t even miss the butter. Promise.
The streusel is made from cinnamon, brown sugar, chocolate chips, and pecans. You can leave out the nuts if desired or swap the pecans for walnuts. Not only is the streusel sprinkled on top of the crumb cake, it’s also layered inside prior to baking. Once your batter is mixed together, you’ll layer half of the batter, then half of the streusel on top. And repeat:
So many melty chocolate chips in every bite. But not too much chocolate to overpower the banana, brown sugar, and cinnamon flavors. You’ll taste it all, you’ll love it all.
This cake is exactly why breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. It’s perfectly acceptable to have dessert and call it a meal.Print
Super-moist banana crumb cake layered with cinnamon, brown sugar, and chocolate chip streusel. Not one piece of this lip-smacking cake will be leftover!
- 1 and 1/2 cups (188g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons (75g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cup mashed bananas, very ripe (about 3 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup (60g) yogurt*
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (50g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (135g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- optional: 1/2 cup (70g) chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 8×8 or 9×9 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the sugar until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the mashed banana and yogurt and turn the mixer on high and beat until creamy, about 1 minute. Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until combined. Do not overmix.
- Make the streusel by combining all of the streusel ingredients into a small bowl. Layer half of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Top with half of the streusel. Repeat with the rest of the batter and streusel. Bake for 40-50 minutes, covering the cake with aluminum foil after 25 minutes to prevent the edges from browning too quickly. Bake until the center is baked through, mine took 45 minutes exactly. Test doneness with a toothpick; if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Allow to slightly cool for ten minutes before cutting and serving. Cake stays fresh covered tightly at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: The cake can be baked and covered tightly at room temperature overnight. Cake can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Yogurt: Recipe tested with plain 0% Greek yogurt. Use any yogurt, Greek or regular, that you prefer.
Keywords: banana chocolate chip crumb cake, banana crumb cake