aka BIRTHDAY cupcakes! 😉
With my new hot pink apron tied tight (thanks for the birthday present Kristen!!), I stood in my (tiny) kitchen staring into my pantry. What on earth should a food blogger/baker make for her own birthday?!
In the past few weeks I’ve celebrated with friends by making a lot of different treats, but I think it’s time for an all star classic FUNFETTI cupcake. Fluffy, buttery cake studded with bright sprinkles and adorned with creamy, dreamy milk chocolate buttercream frosting and more sprinkles. I die. Nothing says a birthday like good ‘ole funfetti, am I right?!
These homemade cupcakes taste just like your classic boxed yellow cake mix. They are moist, fluffy, and full of rich buttery flavor thanks to the use of melted butter in the recipe. The milk chocolate buttercream is another classic recipe. It is so luscious and creamy. Buttery almost, too. I can see myself frosting anything and everything with it… cookies, brownies, cakes, etc. It is literally perfect.
And on top of the creamy milk chocolate buttercream, I threw a ton of different sprinkles because let’s face it… I’m a tad obsessed. Who doesn’t love sprinkles?! If you don’t, you are clearly lost on Sally’s Baking Addiction. 😛
And look! Aren’t these edible gold glitter stars SO super cute?! I found them at Michael’s and went nuts. I got a little heavy handed with the glitter stars on my first one… ooops!
Sprinkle mess or not, I am in LOVE with these cupcakes & frosting. They were the perfect ultimate birthday treat and I can see myself using this classic yellow cupcake recipe & the frosting recipe time and time again. A win-win in my book!Print
Homemade funfetti cupcakes topped with creamy milk chocolate frosting and extra sprinkles!
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
Milk Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 and 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons half-and-half or milk or heavy cream (I used fat free half + half)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside. In another medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with a stand mixer (with paddle attachment) or electric handheld mixer until light and foamy, about 2 minutes. While beating, slowly pour in the butter and then the vanilla. While mixing, add half the dry ingredients, then add all the milk, and follow with the rest of the dry ingredients. Do NOT overmix the batter. Gently fold in 1/2 cup sprinkles.
- Divide the batter evenly in the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Sift 3 cups confectioners’ sugar & cocoa powder into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- On medium speed, cream butter for a few minutes in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Turn speed to LOW and slowly pour in the dry ingredients. Be careful so that the dry ingredients do not blow everywhere! Mix until sugar/cocoa are absorbed by the butter.
- Turn up mixer to medium speed and add the vanilla and salt. Slowly add in the half + half (or milk or cream) and beat for about 2 minutes or until the frosting reaches a desired thickness. Add the last 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar if needed to increase frosting thickness (I did not need it).
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Decorate with additional sprinkles, if desired.
- Be sure to check out my 10 tips for baking the BEST cupcakes before you begin!
Keywords: homemade funfetti cupcakes with milk chocolate frosting