Because they deserve dessert too!
Could this recipe BE any more random? Cue Chandler Bing.
But. If you know me at all. If you have ever seen my Instagram or Snapchat or, I don’t know, if you have ever read my blog before then you know. Oh, you know. This recipe isn’t random at all.
Because. I’m a total DOG LADY.
And I’m feeling extra lovey
doggie dovey lately because I’ve been away from this face for a month and a half! Well, most of the past 6 weeks that is. I really missed Jude while on tour, but he was in good hands at the in laws. (They totally spoil him.)
Look at how excited and happy Jude is waiting for a homemade treat!
“Quit your picture taking and fork them over!!”
Anyway, I wanted to show my love for Mr. Jude since I’ve been traveling like crazy and out of the house for so many weeks. His favorite homemade peanut butter bacon dog treats sounded perfect, but I decided to change things up a bit. With today’s homemade peanut butter dog treats, we have an added flavor: carrot. Jude LOVES carrots. When I’m eating them, I usually get the look you see above.
Staring, watching, drooling, waiting.
I threw some carrots into the dog treats and Jude couldn’t be more obsessed.
The wonderful part about these homemade peanut butter carrot dog treats is that they are super soft. Jude loves crunchy treats, but I think the fact that these have a completely different texture (and peanut butter, duh) is why he loves them so much.
And they couldn’t be any easier to make! Simply combine the ingredients together in a large bowl– a one bowl recipe right here! Roll it out into 1/4″ thickness and use cookie cutters to make shapes. The size of the treats should be based on the size of your dog. Jude is the size of a horse, so the big treats are perfect. We still break them up for him.
Then, just bake the treats until browed. They may seem crunchy when you take them out of the oven, but they quickly soften up from the carrots inside.
Usually I bring half the batch over to other dog parents in our neighborhood, but freezing also works. See my make ahead tip in the recipe! 🙂
Before beginning, please check with your vet about any allergies your dog may have. If you have any questions or concerns about the ingredients I used, please consult with your vet.Print
Soft-baked goodness for our pups!
- 1 cup (255g) natural creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup (180ml) skim milk
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 large carrot, shredded (or 8-ish baby carrot)– around 2/3 cup shredded
- 2 and 1/4 cups (290g) whole wheat flour*
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup (30g) oats (either whole-rolled or quick oats are fine)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the peanut butter, milk, egg, and carrot together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Add the flour and baking powder. You may need to turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and use your hands to work in the flour. Mix in the oats. The dough is extremely thick and heavy.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out into 1/4″ thickness. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Arrange on the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, or until very lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from the oven, and flip the treats to bake the other side for 10 more minutes. Want the treats to be a little more crunchy? Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving to your pup. Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Since the pups can’t eat the whole batch in a week, I usually freeze them. Jude loves them right out of the freezer too! The treats freeze well up to 2 months.
- Flour: Unbleached all-purpose flour is safe for dogs, but whole wheat was more highly recommended by our vet because of its added health benefits. Again, please consult with your vet about any allergies your dog may have.
Keywords: peanut butter carrot dog treats, homemade dog treats
And just for fun, here is a picture of Jude as a pup. I can’t even handle it. His Eeyore stuffed animal was his absolutely favorite! ♥
Q: Do you have any pets? What kind? What is his/her name?