I may just have a new favorite dessert. Oatmeal cookie dough streusel crust with a thick creamy and a luscious lemon filling, sprinkled with more oatmeal cookie dough streusel on top…. so dang good!
My good friend Caitlin requested I make a fresh lemon-y dessert to ring in the warmer weather a few weeks. I may be a tad late getting around to it as it’s almost May (whooops!), but these bars were totally worth the wait. I found the recipe off Betty Crocker’s website. Betty never steers me wrong!
Typically, I find that crumb bar recipes or lemon bar recipes have an unbalanced ratio of fruit filling to dough. There always seems to be WAY too much of the doughy stuff and not enough of the fruity stuff. With these bars? Not so much. There is plenty of creamy lemon filling in each and every bite. And what’s even better about these bars is that they are EASY. Start with a pouch of Betty Crocker premade oatmeal cookie mix, 1 stick cold butter, 1 egg, sweetened condensed milke and 2 lemons. That’s it!
If you can’t find this specific cookie mix, I’ve included a made-from-scratch oatmeal cookie crumble recipe to use instead. PS: one friend tasted them and LOVED them… and he doesn’t even like lemon.
Oatmeal Lemon Creme Bars
Yield: 16 bars
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix (see below for homemade recipe)
1 large egg
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp grated lemon peel (about 2 large lemons)
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8x8 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, cut butter into cookie mix using a fork or electric mixer. Stir in egg until crumbly. Press half of oatmeal cookie dough into bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the cookie bottom is baking, stir condensed milk, lemon peel, and lemon juice into a small bowl. Spread lemon mixture over baked crust (while crust is hot). Crumble the remaining oatmeal cookie mixture over top. Bake about 25 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cutting into 16 squares. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Enjoy!
**If you can't find the Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix, use this from-scratch oatmeal cookie base recipe:
Homemade Oatmeal Cookie Base
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and oats.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix to combine.
- Continue with step three in the recipe above.
Recipe source: Betty Crocker
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
By far, one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.
If you like these lemon bars, be sure to check out my Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars
74 Responses to “Oatmeal Lemon Creme Bars.”
Pingback: Oaty Lemon Creme Bars « Bumble's Bakes