Puppy chow snack mix gets a festive twist with pumpkin spices and candy pumpkins.
Puppy chow – aka Muddy Buddies – is not dog food. You would be surprised how many folks contact me about that. “You feed that to your dog?” No, no! Puppy chow is a snack mix – for humans.
Making pumpkin puppy chow could not be easier. It’s really just a few ingredients mixed together. No baking involved, no chilling involved. Less work, more eating.
With pumpkin puppy chow on my to-do list, I got a little excited when I spotted orange candy melts in the store last week. What are candy melts? They are a sugary little coating – wonderful for making cake pops and other dipped candies.
Here are a few of the ingredients I used to make my pumpkin spice puppy chow. I list substitutes below this photo if you cannot find these products.
Cinnamon Chex cereal.
The cinnamon flavored Chex cereal gives the puppy chow a stronger cinnamon-sugar flavor. It is the perfect base for this puppy chow. You may use Rice Chex, Crispex, or any plain rice cereal squares you can find.
Wilton orange candy melts.
Again, this isn’t chocolate. It’s a sugary melting coating. It’s sold online, in baking shops, Walmart, and craft stores like Michael’s. You need one 12-ounce bag. If you can’t find orange candy melts, use pure white chocolate instead like Baker’s or Ghirardelli – both sold in all major grocery stores.
I love adding to this pumpkin spice puppy chow. You could use candy corn, Hershey’s Pumpkin Spice Kisses, Pumpkin Spice M&Ms or Candy Corn M&Ms, or some festive orange sprinkles.
If you love pumpkin spiced goodies, you’re going to flip for this puppy chow.Print
This sugary snack mix gets a festive twist with pumpkin spices and mellowcreme pumpkins. Be warned – this stuff is addicting! This recipe may easily be halved or doubled.
- 13.5 oz box (about 7–8 cups) Cinnamon Chex cereal, or Rice Chex
- 12 ounces orange candy melts or pure white chocolate
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice*
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1–2 cups mellowcreme pumpkins*
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In 20 second increments, melt the candy melts or white chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Stir after each increment until melted and completely smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, the nutmeg, cloves, and allspice until combined. Pour mixture over cereal and toss gently to coat each square. Be gentle, the squares break easily.
- Pour the confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon into a large zipped-top bag. Add the coated cereal and shake until each piece is coated. Pour back into a large bowl and discard excess confectioners’ sugar. Toss in the mellowcreme pumpkins. Use 1-2 cups, whatever amount you prefer.
- Cover and store puppy chow for up to 2 weeks.
- Spices: Instead of nutmeg, cloves, and allspice – you can use 1.5 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.
- Pumpkins: Instead of mellowcreme pumpkins, try adding 1 cup of Pumpkin Spice M&Ms or Candy Corn M&Ms, 1 cup of Pumpkin Spice Hershey’s Kisses, 1 cup of cinnamon chips, 1/2 cup of orange sprinkles, or even 1 cup of salty pumpkin seeds (which will cut the sweetness of the snack mix).
Keywords: pumpkin spice puppy chow