Puppy chow snack mix gets a festive twist with pumpkin spices and candy pumpkins.
Puppy chow – aka Muddy Buddies – is not dog food. No, no! Puppy chow is a snack mix… for humans.
Making pumpkin puppy chow could not be easier. It’s really just a few ingredients mixed together. No baking involved, no chilling involved. Less work, more eating.
With pumpkin puppy chow on my to-do list, I got a little excited when I spotted orange candy melts in the store last week. What are candy melts? They are a sugary little coating and wonderful for making cake pops and other dipped candies.
Here are a few of the ingredients I used to make my pumpkin spice puppy chow. I list substitutes below this photo if you cannot find these products.
Cinnamon Chex cereal.
The cinnamon flavored Chex cereal gives the puppy chow a stronger cinnamon-sugar flavor. It is the perfect base for this puppy chow. You may use Rice Chex, Crispex, or any plain rice cereal squares you can find.
You need a few individual spices for this mix including cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. This is a great place to use homemade pumpkin pie spice if you have it. See recipe Note.
Wilton orange candy melts.
Again, this isn’t chocolate. It’s a sugary melting coating. It’s sold online, in baking shops, Walmart, and craft stores like Michael’s. You need one 12-ounce bag. If you can’t find orange candy melts, use pure white chocolate instead like Baker’s or Ghirardelli – both sold in all major grocery stores.
I love adding to this pumpkin spice puppy chow. You could use candy corn, Hershey’s Pumpkin Spice Kisses, Pumpkin Spice M&Ms or Candy Corn M&Ms, or some orange sprinkles. Any of these additions turn this sweet fall snack into a festive Halloween treat. Would be so fun served alongside these decorated Halloween cookies!
This sugary snack mix gets a festive twist with pumpkin spices and mellowcreme pumpkins. Be warned – this stuff is hard to resist! Recipe can easily be halved or doubled.
- 13.5 oz box (about 7–8 cups) Cinnamon Chex cereal, or Rice Chex
- 12 ounces orange candy melts or pure white chocolate
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice*
- 1 cup (120g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1–2 cups mellowcreme pumpkins*
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In 20 second increments, melt the candy melts or white chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Stir after each increment until melted and completely smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, the nutmeg, cloves, and allspice until combined. Pour mixture over cereal and toss gently to coat each square. Be gentle, the squares break easily.
- Pour the confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon into a large zipped-top bag. Add the coated cereal and shake until each piece is coated. Pour back into a large bowl and discard excess confectioners’ sugar. Toss in the mellowcreme pumpkins. Use 1-2 cups, whatever amount you prefer.
- Cover and store puppy chow for up to 2 weeks.
- Spices: Instead of nutmeg, cloves, and allspice, you can use 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of store-bought or homemade pumpkin pie spice. You could replace the cinnamon with pumpkin pie spice, too.
- Pumpkins: Instead of mellowcreme pumpkins, try adding 1 cup of Pumpkin Spice M&Ms or Candy Corn M&Ms, 1 cup of Pumpkin Spice Hershey’s Kisses, 1 cup of cinnamon chips, 1/2 cup of orange sprinkles, or even 1 cup of salty pumpkin seeds (which will cut the sweetness of the snack mix).
Keywords: pumpkin spice puppy chow