Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls.

Copycat Pillsbury Orange Sweet Rolls. Gooey, fluffy, and dripping with orange glaze.

Fluffy, gooey cinnamon rolls with sweet orange glaze. Copycat Pillsbury recipe! These are amazing.

I planned for the first recipe of 2013 to be a healthier item… sorry, but I changed my mind.

Today’s rolls are a sequel to my Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls. The two dough recipes are completely different, but they are both fruity little spin-offs of your standard cinnamon bun. I am so in love with both fluffy, doughy, yeasty sweet roll recipes. And I know you will be too. Do not fear yeast!

Fluffy Cinnamon Rolls with sweet orange glaze. | Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Have you ever had a Pillsbury Orange Sweet Roll before? You know, the kind that come in a can?  I gladly admit that I LOVE those little things. My mom always made them for us on busy weekend mornings. The smell alone got me out of bed – light citrus paired with the nostalgic fragrance of gooey cinnamon buns.

Needless to say, down the stairs I ran with a grumbling tummy.

Today I bring you a homemade version of the zingy little breakfast rolls. The rolls are surprisingly SO easy to make. I know a lot of my readers have 2013 resolutions to begin playing around with yeast and this is a wonderful recipe to conquer that fear.

They’re puffy.

They’re zingy.

They’re dripping with sweet orange glaze!

Copycat Pillsbury Orange Sweet Rolls. Gooey, fluffy, and dipping with orange glaze!

I baked these in the evening for breakfast the next day. They definitely taste better fresh, but I didn’t hear anyone complaining. They can also be made ahead of time – either as overnight rolls (see recipe notes) or you can freeze the baked rolls. Just warm up and drizzle with the orange glaze when you’re ready to serve them.

You will love how doughy, soft, and fluffy these are! Each bite is tender – like the fluffiest bakery roll you’ve ever tasted. You will NEVER turn to the store-bought version again. There is simply nothing like a fresh sweet roll made from scratch.

With one taste of the warm and sticky rolls fresh from the oven, I truly wondered why I waited so long to make these! I like to unravel the doughy cinnamon layers as I eat them. :)

New spin-off recipes from today’s sweet rolls are already swirling through my head. Make a batch of these for breakfast or brunch and invite your friends and family over. Or not. There really doesn’t need to be any occasion to make these!

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 3.5 hours or overnight

A homemade copycat recipe for Pillsbury Orange Sweet Rolls. Topped with a sweet orange glaze and filled with cinnamon sugar.

Yield: 15 rolls

• 1 package active dry yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • fresh orange zest from 1 medium sized orange
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3 - 3.5 cups all-purpose flour (measured correctly)

• 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

• 1 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon orange juice
  • fresh orange zest from 1 medium oranges
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Make The Dough: Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water for about 1 minute. No need to use a thermometer for the water's temperature, but to be precise: about 105-115F degrees. Stir the yeast/water around. Then add orange zest, orange juice, sugar, salt, egg, butter, and 1.5 cups of flour. Beat everything together on low with a handheld mixer, scraping down the sides as needed. (A mixer is definitely needed to break up all the butter and beat everything to the proper consistency.) With a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a dough easy to handle - about 1.5 - 2 more cups. You are looking for a dough that is not sticky and will spring back when poked with a finger.
  2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands for about 5-6 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a lightly greased bowl. Cover the dough and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1.5 hours.
  3. Line the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving room on the sides. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and, using a rolling in, roll into a 10x15 inch rectangle. I used a ruler for accuracy. Make sure the dough is smooth and evenly thick, even at the corners.
  4. For The Filling: in a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Spread the dough rectangle with softened butter and sprinkle generously with all of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Tightly roll up the dough and cut into 16 even rolls (1 inch in width each) with a very sharp knife. Arrange them in the prepared baking pan, cut sides up. Cover the rolls and let them rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes - 1 hour.
  5. Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Cover the rolls with aluminum foil and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until they are lightly golden in color. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for about 15 minutes.
  6. Make The Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together all of the glaze ingredients and drizzle over rolls before serving. Add more orange juice to thin out, if needed.
  7. Make ahead tip: Baked rolls can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm up before enjoying. You can also freeze the unbaked rolls and here's how: let the rolls rise through step 4. Then, bake the rolls for only about 10 minutes at 375°F (191°C). Cool completely, then cover tightly and freeze. Take the rolls out of the freezer and put into the refrigerator a few hours before serving. Then, finish baking them. To make this recipe using an overnight method: prepare through step 4. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, remove from the refrigerator and let rise, about 1 hour.

I like to call this sweet roll per… wait for it… fection. 😉

I know you’ll enjoy these related recipes as well.

Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls

Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls-11

Easy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

My BEST ever Cinnamon Rolls - totally from scratch, great beginnger recipe!

150 Responses to “Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls.”

Frk Foghposted July 29, 2013 at 9:38 am

Hi Sally.
    These look so good! I have never used orange in my cinnamon rolls.
    Did you know that in Danish cinnamon rolls are actually named “snails”?

• Sallyreplied on July 29th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Interesting! Because that one roll really did resemble a sweet roll “snail” :)

kaylaposted September 10, 2013 at 6:17 pm

What if I used this dough recipe for the raspberry rolls as well? I want to make both orange and raspberry but use one dough recipe.

• Sallyreplied on September 10th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Hi Kayla – you may certainly use the other dough recipe. Hope you enjoy!

Pattyposted September 28, 2013 at 6:09 pm

These look amazing! I am so glad I found your site on Pinterest. I’ll be making these for my birthday tomorrow. Here’s my question: I want to prep tonight (letting them rise the second time, right?) & bake tomorrow as your make ahead directions say, but I’m not clear what I should cover them with–plastic wrap? A towel? Do they taste as good if I leave them out over night at room temperature? I’ve never worked with yeast before but wanted to try these. Thanks for your great recipes!

• Pattyreplied on September 30th, 2013 at 10:39 am

Thank you! The rolls turned out FANTASTIC (I did check the temp of the water because I’m a novice). My family loved them too, so I’ll be making them regularly. I really appreciate your step by step directions and explanations from your experience. I will be using your site every weekend as I venture forth into the world of baking. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on September 30th, 2013 at 11:56 am

So happy you loved these rolls, Patty. :)

• Lesliereplied on March 19th, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I too loved those Pillsbury Orange sweet rolls as a child.

I have successfully put sweet rolls in the refrigerator overnight, letting them rise an hour in the morning in a warm place – as you describe in this recipe’s Additional Notes. In this response you state that they should be left out at room temperature overnight. Which is it?

I am hoping to make these tomorrow mid-day.
      Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on March 19th, 2015 at 1:56 pm

It should read in the refrigerator- just fixed that. Thank you Leslie.

marah jeanposted October 6, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Hello. I just want to ask can I use aluminum foil instead of parchment paper in the bottom of the baking pan? thanks. I’m making this one today.. Now I’m just waiting for my dough to rise :) Btw, thank you for posting this recipe :) when I saw this recipe I realize its time to bake again with yeast.. My first cinnamon roll is BIG :( ( I’ll post picture on instagram when I’m done. Thank you gain ♥

• Sallyreplied on October 7th, 2013 at 6:25 am

Hi Marah! The rolls will stick to the aluminum foil, so I always use parchment paper. It’s awful trying to get the little pieces of aluminum that has ripped off on each cinnamon roll. I hope you enjoy these!

• marahreplied on October 7th, 2013 at 7:39 am

yes it’s stick to aluminum foil but its okay.. :) I’ll just use parchment paper next time . :) Thank you again for posting this recipe..We enjoyed it so much especially my mom :) she said it’s so yummy ♥

Hannah Smithposted December 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I’m so excited to make these for Christmas morning!!!!! How many does the recipe make? About a dozen?
    Thanks!! Just need to know if I need to double it :)

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Hi Hannah! These a wonderful choice for Christmas breakfast! This recipe makes 15 rolls. (I note that in the recipe.)

Napoleonposted December 25, 2013 at 12:13 pm

My wife and I are Mormons and we have four “Home Teaching” families for whom we are responsible. A few years ago my wife found this orange roll recipe and at Christmas time she would make these for each of them. Good grief! We missed one year and you’d think we had just told them we no longer loved them (the families). I’ve become a type II diabetic so she won’t make them now. They were just too much for me to resist. One of our families wouldn’t have Christmas morning breakfast until we arrived with their Orange Rolls. Your Orange Roll recipe will probably get you into Mormon heaven.

• Sallyreplied on December 25th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I just love orange rolls. And I agree- very irresistible!! Thanks Napoleon!

Lauraposted December 27, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Hi Sally! I was just wondering whether the orange juice in these rolls is natural, fresh orange juice, or the store bought kind? Do you need to squeeze the juice from the orange? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 27th, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Hey Laura! I alway use the store-bought kind. However, I know a few readers use freshly squeezed. Either would be find!

Zandt Kposted December 29, 2013 at 11:31 am

Those were awesome !!! Thanks so much !!!

Kathy Lposted December 29, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Made these over the weekend and they turned out great!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe and easy instructions!

• Sallyreplied on December 30th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

That’s wonderful Kathy! These sweet rolls are one of my favorite breakfast recipes ever. I make them often! I appreciate you reporting back – thank you!

Angel T.posted January 2, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Hi Sally, I’m planning on making these tomorrow…do you think it would be okay to substitute lemon for the orange? My mum forgot to buy oranges…!

• Sallyreplied on January 2nd, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Yes! Lemon would be so good, Angel!

Lauraposted January 4, 2014 at 12:59 am

Hi Sally, I tried these rolls two days ago and they didn’t rise! I wasn’t sure if it was the yeast problem or something else I did, or the weather :D. Are active dry yeast the same as instant ones?

I tried your cinnamon rolls recipe before, and they were very successful! So I was disappointed this didn’t turn out the way it was supposed to. But the orange glaze was fantastic. :)

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2014 at 9:02 am

Hey Laura! It definitely sounds like your yeast was dead. That’s the reason for my sweet rolls not rising. Instant yeast is a little stronger than active dry. I generally find it easier to work with. Active dry yeast works just as well as instant yeast, but it sounds like yours may have been dead.

Aurelposted January 23, 2014 at 9:05 am

Hey sally! Do you think it would be weird if i make the glaze into a chocolate orange glaze? Or chocolate glaze? It sorta comes up to my mind

• Sallyreplied on January 23rd, 2014 at 9:47 am

Not at all! I think that sounds delicious. I love chocolate and orange.

KJposted March 27, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Hey Sally!! Thank you for this fantastic recipe!!!! I used this recipe to make a giant cinnamon roll cake (also referred to your other recipe) for my mom’s birthday. She absolutely LOVES oranges and this is such a great recipe!

But guess what – I made it even more orangey – I added orange extract in the dough, orange zest in the filling, and even made my own candied orange peels to include in the filling. The result? A super gooey orangey cinnamony giant bread roll cake ….. It is heaven combined with the orange glaze. Thank you thank you thank you!

Aaliyahposted July 10, 2014 at 6:14 am

Sally, how much Active Dry yeast will I need for this recipe?

• Sallyreplied on July 10th, 2014 at 10:05 am

2 and 1/4 teaspoons.

Toniposted July 21, 2014 at 4:17 am

Sally! Thank the heavens for this recipe, I have too many ponkans on hand at home. Do you using the ponkans will work too, in place of the orange?

• Sallyreplied on July 21st, 2014 at 8:32 am

Beccaposted November 6, 2014 at 9:31 pm

I made these for my husband over the weekend and they were so good! I recently started my own food blog. I shared this recipe with my few followers. I’d love for you to check it out.

Mistyposted December 4, 2014 at 12:18 am

Just a small tip I learned: when cutting the rolls before baking, use unflavored dental floss or thread for a clean cut. Dough will also rise better

Cindyposted December 29, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I made these last night and everything went perfectly until I cooked them. By the time they middle ones were light brown, the bottoms were dark brown. Taste (other than bottoms was superb). We solved by very carefully cutting the bottoms off while they were still all together. However my question is, what should I have done differently?

• Sallyreplied on December 30th, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Are you baking them in a dark metal pan or glass? I prefer to use glass when I bake cinnamon rolls. I find dark metal burns my cinnamon rolls. You can also try slightly reducing the oven temperature. Try 350 degrees for around 28 minutes.

Lorraine M.posted January 13, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I made your Blueberries n’ Cream cupcakes for my friend’s daughter’s first birthday party, and they were a hit! So, I knew that I could count on your for delicious recipes:) I made these sweet rolls over the weekend for my co-worker’s last day at the job. She was so happy and thankful, and along with the rest of the team, these rolls were gobbled up…even by my co-worker who is allergic to citrus. Yikes! Goes to show that these rolls are darn tasty. I’ve made cinnamon rolls and sticky buns (not sure what the difference is…), and sometimes the dough was so heavy that I worried that my mixer was just going to give up on me. I like the lightness of this recipe as well as the size of the sweet rolls that result. Not too big, not to small, but just right. Awesome flavor and texture. Will make again and again!

Genki Kittyposted February 23, 2015 at 2:53 pm

These were so tasty! I had to convert them to vegan but it did not change the taste at all I’m sure. I wrote the conversion substitutes on my main website, hope you don’t mind. (There is a link to the original recipe here.) Again, thank you for the delicious idea and recipe – delish!

Jeanineposted March 4, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I read the recipes and have a few questions. I’ve been looking for an airy dough to make breakfast sweet rolls that have the well in the center with fruit. Can this dough be used for that? I don’t want to do raspberry, can I use cherry pie filling to make this recipe? I don’s have any unsalted butter, can I use regular butter.

• Sallyreplied on March 4th, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I’m sure you could, but I have never tried this dough that way. You can use salted butter in this dough.

Katiposted April 12, 2015 at 6:44 pm

I made these for our Easter brunch last Sunday and they were amazing, so light and fluffy and the orange with the cinnamon is perfect! They were eaten up so fast I only got 1/2 of one so I am going to have to make them again this week! I shared this on my blog today. Thanks for the recipe.

Kaleyposted May 9, 2015 at 5:32 pm

emergency help! I made the dough through step two and was planning on making these tomorrow morning- I don’t have time tonight to roll them out, put on the filling, and let them rise for another hour before refrigerating! What can I do??

Gillyposted May 12, 2015 at 6:15 am

If I make these and pour over the orange glaze now, how long will they keep in an airtight container? I’m thinking of these with fresh fruit for the kids lunches.

• Sallyreplied on May 12th, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Yes! That would be just fine. I find they taste wonderful for up to about 5-7 days in the refrigerator.

liesl petersonposted June 21, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Thank you so much for this! My family’s Christmas morning tradition since I was a child and I just can’t do the pop up cans anymore. Thank you for making it special again.

Kerryposted September 12, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Hoping someone, somewhere made this with gluten free?  Anyone?  Anyone?

• Maryreplied on October 17th, 2015 at 5:36 am

I was wondering the same thing. I bet you can use Betty Crocker’s all-purpose gluten-free flour blend. You might have to add Xanthan Gum. I feel like there are a lot more gluten-free  flour purpose blends out there. You might have to experiment with different flours. Maybe just half the recipe, to not waste product when you’re testing out products. I plan on making this but not till Christmas!

Robertaposted September 25, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Due to issues with strength in my hands, I am unable to do kneading by hand…can I use my kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook for all of the kneading involved?  The recipe looks amazing and I have a bunch of oranges crying to be used :)

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Yes- your mixer w/ the dough hook works for the kneading!

Eleanorposted September 27, 2015 at 12:32 am

Hi! My husband’s family loves the commercial version of these, and since I am hosting Christmas this year, I’m in charge of making sure they get made. However, I cannot bring myself to pop a can for something as special as Christmas morning – just not my style. My big problem is that we will have a brand new baby during the holidays, so baking isn’t going to happen. I want to make these, freeze them in disposable baking pans, and that way they will be ready for Christmas morning. My questions are: do I bake the rolls fully before freezing? Or is it more of a par-bake. And can the icing be made ahead and frozen? If not, how far ahead do you think it can be made fresh? Hopefully I’m not repeating any questions asked by other users. Thank you so much!!!

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Hi Eleanor! I just added some more make-ahead and freezing instructions to the recipe. I’ve been meaning to do so. See the make ahead tip.

Kadiposted September 30, 2015 at 9:28 am

I find it hard to beleive your commentors have actually made these. How on earth do you make glaze with 1 spoon of juice and 1 cup of powdered sugar?? Really??? I used half of the sugar and it still wasnt enough. 1 spoon of butter is not enough for the filling and the cinnamon was also barely visible. No at all as dark as in the pictures. Totally baffeled by this receipe and the comments! Really loved the zing that the orange gave though!

Sara Davisposted October 25, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I made these for the first time yesterday. I didn’t really follow the recipe for the glaze… I just kinda winged it myself. Turned out good. And for the filling, I used 2 Tbsp. of butter instead of 1 Tbsp. Turned out good… a little hard to spread, but it worked. All in all, this recipe is VERY good and it’s definitely a keeper. My kids LOVE them. I’m making another batch today to freeze so they can have them for breakfasts. Thanks for an awesome recipe! :)

Nikposted November 2, 2015 at 12:56 pm

How much orange zest do you use for the dough and glaze?

Avtarposted November 7, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Hi, I am excited to make these! All seems pretty straight forward, but as this is my first time using active yeast, I am curious about the “warm place” where it is supposed to sit. My apartment is very “room temp.” Should I turn on the oven and set the bowl on the stove above? Or perhaps inside the oven at a lower temperature? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on November 7th, 2015 at 2:04 pm

You can preheat the oven to 200, turn it off, then place the rising dough inside the warm oven as it cools down.