Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake.

Juicy raspberries and dark chocolate come together in this simple, crowd-pleasing coffee cake.

Juicy raspberries and dark chocolate come together in this simple, crowd-pleasing breakfast cake! @sallybakeblog

Why hello there pretty cake.

Every Christmas morning, my mom wakes up before everyone else to bake this gorgeous coffee cake. We snack on the coffee cake as we sit around the tree to open gifts.  It keeps our tummies full until we sit down to big brunch a couple hours later.

After years enjoying the coffee cake on Christmas, I finally made it myself.  I know mama would be proud. (Hi Mom!)

It’s the kind of cake you make that morning and enjoy on the same day.  I like to pick off the raspberries first and then eat the rest of the cake.  I am completely in love with raspberries and dark chocolate together!  Have you tried my Dark Chocolate Raspberry Banana Bread yet?

The recipe is baked in a small 8×8 or 9×9 inch baking pan.  This size is perfect for me – I don’t need 23 extra slices of coffee cake laying around!

The cake is so soft and buttery – but really, there’s only 1/2 stick of butter in the actual cake recipe. It’s the buttery streusel layered in with the batter that makes each bite literally melt in your mouth.

There are layers in this coffee cake? Yes. Batter -> buttery almond streusel -> raspberries & dark chocolate chips -> more batter -> more streusel -> more raspberries & dark chocolate chips. Layer upon layer of awesome.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Your new favorite coffee cake is a piece of cake (ha!) to make.

Prepare the streusel first – 3 Tablespoons cold butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, and 1/2 cup slivered almonds. You may leave the almonds out, but I love the extra texture they gave the cake.  Mash the butter up a bit with a fork before mixing with the rest of the ingredients. You want the mixture to be crumbly and chunky. Next is the very simple batter recipe.  And when I say simple, I mean it.  Literally put all of the batter ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat with a hand-held mixer.  That’s it, you’re done.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Pour half of the batter into the baking pan, layer with half of the streusel, then half of the raspberries and chocolate chips, then the rest of the batter, then the remaining streusel. I sprinkled a few more chocolate chips and raspberries on top of the cake for looks. I like pretty cakes.

Eat the cake the day it is baked if you can. I’ve noticed that the raspberries on top sink down a bit into the cake after the first day.  We store the cake at room temperature.

Get ready to dig right in to the butteriest, most outrageously layered chocolatey raspberry cake you’ll ever taste. The texture is moist and soft and each bite will leave you wanting more. Between the almond streusel, the dark melty chocolate, juicy berries, and soft buttery cake – there is something new in every last crumb.  I ate mine with a mug of chai tea in my fuzzy slippers curled up on the couch. Now that is what I like to call Sunday morning perfection.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Wait until you smell this cake baking.  It’s like the marriage of my Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls and a butter cake baking at the same time.  Oh my lanta, I want to bottle that smell up and spray it all over my house and office everyday.

Warning: your stomach will be growling as you smell this cake is baking away in the oven. Now go enjoy the prettiest, easiest coffee cake in all the land.   I’m always sad when the last piece is snatched away!

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake

Yield: 12 generous pieces

• 3 Tablespoons (45g) unsalted butter, cold
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (31g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (64g) sliced almonds

• 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup (180g) dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or white chocolate)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) unsweetened raspberries

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8 or 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Make the streusel first by gently mashing up 3 tablespoons of cold butter in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup sugar and mix around with a fork. You want it to be chunky and crumbly. Add the almonds. Set aside.

In a large bowl with a handheld or stand mixer, add 2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, buttermilk, vanilla extract, baking powder, salt, and egg. Beat on low until everything is sufficiently combined - about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Do not over-mix.

Spread half of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Layer with half of the streusel, then most of the raspberries and chocolate chips. Repeat with the rest of the batter and the streusel. Top with remaining raspberries and chocolate chips.

Bake for 45-50 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Make sure to cover loosely with foil after about 20 minutes to prevent the sides from browning too quickly. Cake is best enjoyed on the same day. Cake stays fresh stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days. Makes 12 generous pieces, serve warm or cool.

Here are a few more crowd-pleasing breakfast ideas:

Iced Raspberry Danish Braid

Iced Raspberry Danish Pastry

Super-Crumb Coffee Cake

Super Crumb Coffee Cake

Easy Caramel Apple Turnovers

Caramel Apple Turnovers

Jumbo Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Jumbo Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

See more breakfast ideas.

153 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake.”

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted February 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Check out all that gooey melted chocolate!! I love coffee cake, and you have totally taken it to a new level my friend! I want this for breakfast and then again for dessert! :)

Laura Dembowskiposted February 9, 2013 at 8:14 am

This cake looks incredible! I love coffee cake and how you layered it. I also pick out the fruit in my cakes and eat it first. White chocolate sounds great in this!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted February 10, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Sally, this is gorgeous! I made a similar coffee cake last weekend (not for the blog) using cherries and sliced almonds, but I love the addition of the dark chocolate here. Any time I can get away eating chocolate for breakfast, I’m all over it. :-) Definitely trying your raspberry version next time!

• Sallyreplied on February 10th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Mmmm Ashley that cake sounds amazing! Cherries and almonds are so good together in baked goods!

Maarjaposted March 12, 2013 at 11:42 am

I am sooo making this today…I can already imagine how fluffy and yummy it will be. Can’t wait! Also, I can not get over how pretty the blue bowl is…I constantly see it in your pictures and sometimes drool over the bowl more than the cakes. Will you please share where you got it from? Thanks :)

L. B. Pullenposted April 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm

What a WONDERFUL site to stumble on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So thrilled! Can’t wait to get to the kitchen. thanks so . LBP

• Sallyreplied on April 11th, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Hi there! Thank you so much for the sweet comment. I’m happy you like my website! Let me know if you make anything, I love hearing about it.

Rupa Lposted April 15, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Hey Sally,
    Made this over the weekend and it was soooooooooo good !!!
    The crumb was perfect and loved it. I changed the recipe to suit my needs
    1) Made it eggless by replacing the 1 egg by 1/4 apple sauce
    2) Had to omit the Struesel part since the kids ddint want it.
    3) Replaced Raspberries with Strawberries.
    3) Mine baked total time 57 mins and at around 40 mins when the top was done it covered it and I think that was a very good decision since the entire cake came out perfect, moist and perfect crumb.
    Planning to make it once again and this time thinking about Tutti Frutti bits inside the cake.
    What do you think about using this recipe as a plain vanilla cake ….. i can double the recipe and useit as a double layer cake with frosting ?
    I love your recipes and esp when it has only 1 egg then I get excited since i can replace with applesauce without any problems !
    ….Hey… one thing I remembered and wanted to suggest….in this recipe step # 3 on the second line where you mention to add “1/4 cup butter, milk, ” ……I read it as “buttermilk” and was almost gonna add 1/4 cup of buttermilk but whoa at the last moment i realized that i dont see any buttermilk in the ingredient list….got saved.
    Its my mistake i know …. but would request that if you could switch the words in the recipe and in your new future recipes too as any one can misinterpret just like I did !!

– Rupa

• Sallyreplied on April 15th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Hi Rupa! Thank you so much for the suggestion. I can change the wording around so readers in the future do not get confused. I appreciate all of your feedback and the coffee cake you made your kinds sounds wonderful. I do not suggest making this as a dessert cake. I suggest using my homemade funfetti cake recipe and doubling it for two 9 inch cake pans. Also, leave out the sprinkles. And you could use applesauce (although, I’ve never tried it before) to replace the butter. http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/03/19/easy-homemade-funfetti-cake/

• Rupa Lreplied on April 16th, 2013 at 6:39 am

Thanks Sally !

SGposted April 19, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Hi, Sally! I baked your coffee cake just this morning. Thank you for the great recipe! A couple of things: I did cover the cake in aluminum foil when baking it. However, after the 50 min baking time, the cake had doubled in height (I used an 8X8 glass pan), but was still really water in the middle and on top. So, I removed the foil and needed to bake it for another 20 min for it to baked right through to the center. I really like the lightness of this cake, and the combination of chocolate with raspberries. I’d probably make this cake again, but would play around with increasing the almonds and fruit.

• Sallyreplied on April 20th, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Hi there! So funny – I increased the fruit from my mom’s recipe. And you want more fruit! I like your thinking. :) Thanks for reporting back!

• SGreplied on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Hi again, Sally! I wanted to also let you know that I gave half of the cake that we had made to the neighbours, and they loved it! We all agreed that for raspberry lovers such as ourselves, we would probably increasing the fruit quotient, just to get our fix. Also, do you think this cake would go well with a mix of white and dark chocolate?

• Sallyreplied on April 23rd, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Yes! That would be a great mix of chocolates. I may have to try it :)

Elizabethposted April 27, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I made this delicious cake today! I unfortunately, had to use frozen raspberries, because my grocery store was out of fresh, but I am still pleasantly surprised. I used a combo of semi-sweet chocolate chips & white chocolate chips! Very impressed. This is the first time I’ve made a recipe from this blog! Love it! Delicious!

• Sallyreplied on April 28th, 2013 at 10:07 am

I’ll have to try it with white chocolate next time. :) Thanks for reporting back Elizabeth! Let me know any other recipes you make. I love hearing about it.

GajusKitchenposted May 16, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I made this cake and it came out very well . I din’t use egg instead used Hung curd and skipped chocolate chips. It was delicious. I was tempted to try this cake after seeing those beautiful clicks.You have a lovely space. I have posted the recipe in my blog with reference to the original recipe.

• Sallyreplied on May 16th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I’m glad you liked it!

Sallyposted May 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Hi Pamela – So sorry this cake took a bit longer in your oven. Do you own an oven thermometer? My oven runs about 20 degrees warmer than what the dial states. so my oven thermometer is a huge help when it comes to saving recipes.

Marieposted June 14, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Aaaah ! I am falling more and more in love with your blog Sally ! It’s amazing and the photos make me drool every single time !!
    Thanks for that :)

• Sallyreplied on June 14th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Thank you Marie! Let me know if you make anything sometime!

Lauraposted July 1, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hi Sally! Thanks for this very yummy recipe. I tried this today with milk chocolate nuggets and blueberries since there weren’t any raspberries around, and it was amaaaaazing! 😀

• Sallyreplied on July 1st, 2013 at 10:03 am

Now that sounds amazing, Laura!

Nicolaposted October 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Ah, Sally, Sally, Sally… I suspect that a good part of my office may well be a little bit in love with you after I made this cake for them. Let’s just say I brought an empty pan home!

• Sallyreplied on October 28th, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Haha! Well I am certainly happy about that, Nicola. This is one of my favorite coffee cake recipes. =)

Deebaposted November 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm

got this in the oven right now! forgot to grease the tray though! hopefully it won’t be that bad! pictures look great, couldn’t resist!

Alicia Yorkposted November 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Ok, I *swear* I don’t have synesthesia (i,.e. “I smell words”), but reading through this delicious post I could smell the tang of baked raspberries and the sweet cocoa of dark chocolate together…and now my mouth is watering like crazy.
    Fantastic post, and I’ll try very hard to make this for Christmas morning! Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on November 25th, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I had no idea what synesthesia meant. You learn something new every day! Let me know how you enjoy the coffee cake Alicia. I can’t wait to have it again next month!

Monaposted November 26, 2013 at 2:20 am

Just baked this this morning..what a great recipe. I made it in a bundt pan and it was perfect. I used frozen raspberries that were broken off..which was a good choice..I didn’t have large pockets of wet/moist cake. Thanks for the recipe and love love your blog.

Daniposted January 6, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Hey Sally,

Can I make these into muffins?

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2014 at 10:01 am

Hey Dani! You sure can. I’m unsure of the exact baking time though. Let me know if you try it!

Lposted January 15, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Made this this past weekend and everyone loved it! I can’t wait to make it again when raspberries are in season.

• Sallyreplied on January 16th, 2014 at 10:37 am

Very happy you enjoyed this cake!

Aurelposted February 5, 2014 at 7:17 am

Like ok seriously, i made these and they were SO moist. You’re right, these make you want more and more. My family loved it especially my mom. Thank you so so much

sherryposted March 18, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Help! I’ve made this recipe several times before without any problems (I used strawberries instead). Today it would not bake in the middle, even though I had it in the oven for an extra twenty minutes. I am using the same oven as the other times I made it. I used a glass pan, the same as before.

I have no idea what went wrong. It is like there is a lake in the middle of the cake, so almost the whole cake seems undone. Sigh….

Thanks for any suggestions. It was delicious when I made it last summer and I was looking forward to it again.

• Sallyreplied on March 18th, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hi Sherry – I’m uncertain. If nothing has changed about the way you are baking the recipe and your oven, I’m confused as to how your cake would bake differently this time around. I do know that strawberries are much more moist than raspberries. That could have to do with the cake not baking as quickly this time.

• sherryreplied on March 18th, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Thanks, Sally! I used strawberries last summer also, though. It is very odd.
        I think I may have used an aluminum pan last summer. I wonder if that makes a difference? I switched to glass because things cooked too quickly in the aluminum pan. I made the cake as a thank you for a friend, and I am sorry it didn’t come out this time. (love this recipe and it has worked out great before).
        I think I’ll make your strawberry shortcake cupcakes tomorrow for him instead. I’ve made that many times and since it uses cooked filling I shouldn’t have any problems. Thank you again for all your wonderful recipes.

• Shannynreplied on December 11th, 2014 at 11:26 am

Hey there;
      I also had this problem! The cake wouldn’t ‘bake’ into the centre. I have never had that issue before; same dish, same oven, correct temp etc etc.
      THEN I noticed when I was going over my ingredients to check for exp dates -aha. The buttermilk had expired TWO WEEKS AGO. Eep. So I’m thinking, for me, that was the issue. I don’t know the science involved but if it had ‘broken down’ then that might have been why. I was so sad. It smelled AMAZING and the edges that were cooked thru were deeelishus.

Sarahposted March 24, 2014 at 5:47 pm

I’m making this into muffins; they’re in the oven now! I used frozen raspberries (that were not fully defrosted) and threw half of them into the kitchen-aid to blend them up and turn the batter a lovely color…then folded the rest of the fully thawed raspberries in for chunks throughout.
    Also, using white chocolate chips! They smell amazing, and I’m glad it’s muffins, cause no one will know if one turns up missing! 😉
    Thank you for the recipe!

Suzanneposted April 1, 2014 at 9:49 am

Sally, do you think you could substitute sour cream for the buttermilk in this recipe?

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:10 am

Actually, that would be just fine Suzanne. I know my mom has done that a few times.

• Suzannereplied on April 1st, 2014 at 11:19 am

Thanks, Sally! It’s in the oven now and looking good :)

salmaposted May 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm

The cake looks delish. I cant wait to try it out. What drew me to this recipe was coffee as I love coffee in cakes but I cant seem to see coffee in the ingredients for this cake??

• Sallyreplied on May 26th, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi Salma! Breakfast cakes are typically called coffee cakes in the US, even if they do have contain coffee. They are meant to pair with coffee.

salmaposted May 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

Aah I see.. thank you for getting back to me. I’m hoping to try the recipe out today. My stomach is growling just of the thought if it!!
    By the way I’m loving your blog. . I’m such a foodie and I also love to bake. Ive got a long list of recipes from your website that I wish to try out. Now I just need to hunt people down to help me eat it all.. which I’m sure won’t be such a big problem X

Allisonposted May 28, 2014 at 12:48 am

Look who’s #1 on this list: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/18/coffee-cake-recipe_n_2883992.html

• Sallyreplied on May 28th, 2014 at 9:28 am

I saw that! Very cool. Thanks Allison!

Ruchiposted June 9, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Hey Sally! First of all a big thank to you. I was always scared of baking, thinking I’ll fail at it. But then one day I stumbled upon your blog and thought of trying to bake my first cake. I baked super crumb coffee cake and it was awesome, it gave me so much confidence that now I love baking. Today I’m trying this cake. Hope, it will turn out as good as yours. All your recipes are mind blowing. You are a great baker. Wish you all the success. Keep baking and keep teaching amateurs like me :)

• Sallyreplied on June 9th, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Ruchi! So happy you help you feel more confident in the kitchen. I appreciate you letting me know. :) Enjoy this cake!

Audreyposted October 31, 2014 at 8:33 am

I am making this tomorrow for our local farmers’ market membership meeting potluck brunch. Last year year the food was amazing and I know I have to bring my A-game. One question – the recipe states we should use slivered almonds but the photos suggest sliced. I’m leaning toward sliced for a lighter texture but thought I would check in for clarification.

I, too, love dark chocolate and raspberry in combination so i can’t wait to try this. Your raspberry swirl rolls are also tempting me. Decision, decisions!

• Sallyreplied on October 31st, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Hi Audrey! I’m sorry. Sliced almonds. Thank you! Hope you enjoy. Love those raspberry rolls as well. I don’t think I could choose either!

• Audreyreplied on November 6th, 2014 at 7:57 am

Thanks for getting back to me, Sally. I made the cake for the potluck and it was a hit! Next up – Candy Bar Blondies. I have lots of Halloween candy to use up :).

Kimposted November 24, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Can I double this and use 9×13 pan, or a 10×15?

Annaposted December 3, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Hi! I’m making this tonight and am excited for the yummy treat! But quick question…. in the listed ingredients for the cake you don’t list the milk, but in the directions you say to add milk… how much milk? :)

• Sallyreplied on December 4th, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Hi Anna! Buttermilk is listed, sorry for that confusion.

Saraposted December 7, 2014 at 11:07 am

Sally you are my baking guru! Your chocolate cupcakes made my son a Jay-Z level superstar in his kindergarten, your triple chocolate cake was devoured by everyone at the subsequent party, and the s’more pie? Sally that thing is still being discussed in hushed voices as if my in laws don’t actually believe they ate something that good at this years Thanksgiving. Now I am blissfully working my way through your Christmas cookiepalooza and my family would like you to know they are ready to adopted whenever you get a moment.

Now I come to you for help. I would love nothing better than to make this delicious looking coffee cake for Christmas morning. Alas I have a husband with a nut allergy and almond streusel is kind out of the question. Any suggestions? I actually run into this issue a lot particularly with yummy things like crumbles, sticky buns, and coffee cakes.

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Sara, what a comment!! I loved reading this. You’ve chosen some amazing recipes to make. I can tell you and your family love chocolate. 😉

You may simply leave the almonds out. Trust me, the streusel is still amazing. If you ever want a nut-free streusel, try using the crumb topping in this muffin recipe. It’s incredible: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/06/10/glazed-apple-crumb-muffins/

• Sarareplied on December 7th, 2014 at 7:55 pm

You may now add saving Christmas breakfast for a random family to your stunning list of accomplishments. Now if you’ll excuse me we’re in the middle of a peanut butter bar eating contest. My husband passed out four bars ago but if the six year old thinks he’s got me beat at five he’s got another think coming!

Claraposted January 3, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I made it today and my family has discovered what it needs: Cream Cheese with capital C’s. But literally, it’s practically BEGGING for it! Honestly, they are life-long partners. Sally, whatcha think?

Nicole Eposted February 21, 2015 at 9:48 am

I’m looking for a recipe for the streusel coffee cake you recently had on your facebook page.. I can’t seem to find it through the search! I believe it was a coffee cake with a layer of streusel throughout, and no fruit. The little blurb mentioned how the cake is always gone quickly. I’m almost positive it was you that posted.. fingers crossed :)
    If you can, please help.. Thanks!!
    PS I love your blog and recipes… this is my first time commenting but I’m an avid follower :)

Mannposted March 25, 2015 at 1:43 pm

This recipe was really good! Made it for tea time and it was a super hit! I added orange zest of one orange to add some more flavour to the cake. I also added some cinnamon to the crumble mixture.. The result was excellent! Thanks for sharing this recipie I will definitely be making it again soon!

azZah aldareesposted April 26, 2015 at 7:58 pm

i made dark chaclate rasbperry cake today it was awosame god very delicious looking just as your photo
    dear sally thank you for adding sweatness to my family life.
    LOVE YOU ❤️

Heidiposted May 9, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Hi!! I want to make this but don’t have the right size pan. Do you think it would work in an 11 x 7 baking dish?

• Sallyreplied on May 9th, 2015 at 2:12 pm

That should work– the bake time will be a little less and the cake will be thinner.

Shruthiposted June 12, 2015 at 10:25 am

Hi Sally, I love baking and I simply love your site! So many delicious recipes to try out!  I baked this today and it was yummy! Children loved it .  Fantastic blend of flavours. Thank you so much for sharing your mums recipe. Many thanks to your mum too.

Austria Azacetaposted August 6, 2015 at 10:18 am

So I had some raspberries & wanted to bake something.  I made this coffee cake & just wanted to let you know how wonderful it is!!  It baked up beautifully & is so so delicious!!  The texture of the cake is perfection!!  Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe…. :-)