Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes.

Soft-baked Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups piled high with egg-free cookie dough frosting!

I’m sorry for doing this to you. Really, I am. I took my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe in the world and combined it with a chocolate chip cookie dough FROSTING.  The frosting is egg free and completely safe necessary to eat.  You just found your new favorite way to eat a chocolate chip cookie, I promise. These are insane!

Countless amounts of readers have sent praise to my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. The secret is using cornstarch in the dough – cornstarch makes the cookies unbelievably soft and thick, much like it does to soups, pie fillings, and gravies.  I used this cookie recipe and baked them in cupcake tins to create little chocolate chip cookie cupcakes.

You can literally see how soft they are! I love these little cookie cupcakes. And I can’t think of a better frosting for them than the actual cookie dough, can you? I didn’t think so. It’s the same recipe I used for my Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting.

Baking cookie dough in muffin/cupcake pans is actually easier than making actual cookies. There’s no spreading issues to fear and you’re guaranteed a thick result. Spreading is impossible when the cookie dough has no where to spread inside the cupcake tin. Make the cookie dough like usual and then press 1.5 Tablespoons of it into each tin. Be sure to use cupcake liners to make things extra easy. I love the ridged effect the liners give the cookie cupcakes, too. Oh and bonus: no dough chilling for this recipe!

The cookie cupcakes take only about 12-13 minutes in the oven. The oven time is crucial here! Do not overbake the cookie cupcakes or the edges will get too brown and crispy. Remove form the oven as the tops begin to set around the 12-13 minute mark. They will appear soft, but that’s what you want. Trust me. 😉

As the cookie cupcakes cool, make your frosting.  It’s safe-to-eat cookie dough in frosting form. It’s ridiculous and amazing at the same time. The frosting uses the same ingredients in your typical cookie dough: softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, flour, salt, and some milk.  There are no eggs or leavening agents present – both ingredients used for the structure of a baked cookie. Well, you’re not baking the frosting – you’re just eating it.  And it is GOOD. I use mini chocolate chips for the frosting because you get more chips with each bite and it makes the frosting easier to spread onto the cookie cupcake.

Soft-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups

Spread the frosting on nice and thick.  Or spread it on thinner (that way you can have leftovers. ;))  What to do with leftover cookie dough frosting? Dip apples, pretzels, graham crackers, anything-you-freaking-want into it.  Cookie dough goes with just about anything.

The cookie cupcakes are super soft in the center with a slight crisp on the edges. They are thick, just like how cookies should be. When you pair all of that with soft cookie dough in frosting form, you have complete insanity.  Chocolate chip cookie dough on top of chocolate chip cookies. Told you – these are ridiculous.  I can’t even.

Practically the easiest and foolproof way to bake cookies – in a muffin tin – and the easiest (and safest!) way to eat cookie dough are combined to make one (you guessed it!) easy dessert treat.

And because they are baked in a muffin pan makes them acceptable for breakfast right? I hope so.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

Yield: 24 cups

Soft chocolate chip cookie cups piled high with egg-free cookie dough frosting.

Cookie Cups

• 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar (or dark brown)
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature preferred
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch (aka cornflour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/4 cup (225g) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cookie Dough Frosting

• 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon (215g) packed light brown sugar (or dark brown)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 Tablespoons (95ml) milk (I used vanilla almond milk, but soy or regular would be fine)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (270g) mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two 12 count muffin pan with liners. Set aside.

Make the cookie cups: In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Dough will be thick.

Press 1.5 Tablespoons of dough into each muffin liner. Bake for 12-13 minutes, removing from the oven when the edges begin to slightly brown and the centers still appear soft. Do not bake longer than 13 minutes. Allow cookie cups to cool completely before frosting.

Make the frosting: With an electric or stand mixer using a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar at medium speed. Add the vanilla and beat well. Stir in the flour and salt until doughy. Beat in the milk until fluffy. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Frost cooled cookie cups.

Unfrosted cookie cups stay fresh covered at room temperature for 5 days. Frosted cookie cups must be stored in the refrigerator.

This recipe couldn’t have been born without The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Soft-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies |

Or Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting

Brownie Cookie Dough Cupcakes

Speaking of cookie dough, have you tried these Cookie Dough Truffle Pops yet? Because you must.

Cookie Dough Pops |

Another must try: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwiches

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwiches for cookie dough lovers! Easy recipe at

223 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes.”

Katieposted April 2, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Making these today for a friend’s birthday; they look awesome!. Any suggestions for high altitude? I’m at 7,000 feet. Thanks!

Sarahposted April 7, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Hi Sally!

I love this recipe, but I have a question.

Since you don’t cook the cookie dough on top, is the flour safe to eat raw? Is there a way I could cook it or something?

• Sallyreplied on April 8th, 2014 at 7:21 am

I find that there is a health claim about nearly every food. I don’t eat this frosting in bulk quantity, but I don’t mind having a small fraction of raw flour when I enjoy these cupcakes. Use your judgement and make them if you please. I have plenty other cupcake recipe you can choose from too!

Maggieposted April 30, 2014 at 12:20 am

SO good Sally! I have made these a couple of times now, and they are always such a hit! Funny story with the frosting-my mom saw the extra frosting I hadn’t used in the fridge, formed it into balls, and put them in the oven! She was so surprised when they didn’t turn into cookies! I however couldn’t stop giggling :)

• Sallyreplied on April 30th, 2014 at 5:03 am

Hahaha I’m laughing to loud. That’s too funny!

Allyposted May 6, 2014 at 10:38 am

I made these last night – they were so good! Instead of adding the chocolate chips to the frosting, I added them after I had piped them on (so the chips wouldn’t jam up the frosting tip) and that let me arrange them into pretty patterns :) Pictures of my creations, inspired by you, are here: Thanks for the recipe! :)

Carrie in WYposted May 14, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I made this and they were delicious!! They didn’t last long and was asked for the recipe several times. They did fall in the middle but I think it’s because I live in WY at a very high altitude and need to learn how to adjust recipes for it.

I also received your cookbook as my mother’s day gift (early anyways) and have made so many things out of it and have not been disappointed yet!! Love your recipes!

• Sallyreplied on May 14th, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Thanks Carrie – and the cookie cups sink in the middle for me as well. That’s because the center is so soft. Enjoy my cookbook!

Jamieposted May 17, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Wow- these were fabulous! The cookie dough was very very sticky, though. I followed the ingredient list to a T, also. And I also piped the frosting on the cookie dough, you just have to use a very large icing tip so the chocolate chips (I used minis) don’t get jammed. I’m thinking that cookie dough frosting can go on just about any cupcake too! I will be saving that recipe!! Thanks!

jenniferposted May 21, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Can you use any cookie dough recipe or does it have to be this one? Is it a cake like dough?

• Sallyreplied on May 22nd, 2014 at 6:34 am

This cookie dough is prepared without eggs to achieve a certain consistency, if you find you like another cookie dough frosting better, you may try that instead. The chocolate chip cookie base is a regular cookie dough, so the “cupcakes” are cookies – not cake.

Meganposted June 3, 2014 at 10:07 am

Sally! – I want to double this recipe! Do I have to do anything different?? Let me know, thanks! PS. you’re my fave :) love ya!

• Sallyreplied on June 3rd, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Nope, just simple double the ingredients. Enjoy.

missyposted July 10, 2014 at 1:28 pm

hi sally! i was wondering if i could substitute white or confectioner’s sugar for the cookie dough frosting instead of brown sugar, because my cookie dough turns very brown and i would like it to be whiter like yours 😀

• Sallyreplied on July 10th, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Either would be fine, Missy. Enjoy.

Brittanyposted July 16, 2014 at 12:42 am

Hi! Can you mix the batter without a electric mixer. I don’t have one at my house and my mom won’t get one right now

• Sallyreplied on July 16th, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Hi Brittany – you need an electric mixer to cream the butter.

Madelineposted July 18, 2014 at 12:19 am

Hmm, I think I messed these up – my dough came out very crumbly. (First batch of cupcakes just came out of the oven, so I haven’t investigated how they baked yet.) I am just reading in the comments that it is essential to use a mixer – I don’t own a mixer, so I usually do everything by hand, and that’s what I did here. Is that where I went wrong, do you think?

• Sallyreplied on July 18th, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Hi Madeline – I do not suggest mixing these by hand. You need to cream the butter with a mixer to obtain the best consistency. Other than that, it may be a measuring error.

• Madelinereplied on July 19th, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Ack, I figured out where I went wrong – I wasn’t thinking and thought a stick of butter was a cup, not half a cup! Oh well, better try again, haha.

• Madelinereplied on July 20th, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Wanted to let you know – I remade these with an electric mixer (handheld, no paddle attachment, but it seemed to work fine) and the correct amount of butter and they look BEAUTIFUL. Thanks!!

Patposted July 20, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I just wanted to let you know how much my we appreciated the recipe for the perfect chocolate chip cookies. My sons and grandchildren adored it. The cookie had the perfect blend of soft and chewie which I had been looking for in a recipe for a long time.

So thank you so very much,

Stephanieposted July 30, 2014 at 1:07 pm

My boyfriend is a chocolate chip cookie addict, and for his birthday I wanted to make something a little more special! This was absolutely perfect, thank you! (:

DAISYposted August 6, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hi, i love all of your recipes. so please dont stop adding them!
    i was just wondering, is all purpose flour, plain flour or self raising? i always get confused when a recipe says all purpose, i would say it is plain but i want to be sure before i go ahead and make this AMAZING recipe!
    Thanks :-)

• Sallyreplied on August 6th, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Hi Daisy – it’s plain flour. Not self rising.

Moposted August 10, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I am a U.S Marine and I use baking to help with the fog of war and other stress related things. Thank you for the wonderful recipes and easy to follow directions.

Natalieposted August 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Sally, I LOVE all of your recipes that I have tried so far! I am planning on making these cupcakes for myself for my birthday (haha.) Do you think the frosting would work in a piping bag if I omitted the mini chips? I was thinking of sprinkling them on afterwards. I’m going to try it anyway, but I thought I’d ask you first if you had any good/bad results with that method! Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Nothing wrong with making your own birthday dessert, Natalie! I do it every year. :) Yes, you may pipe this frosting without the chocolate chips and then sprinkle them on top. Sounds delicious!

Whitney Starzposted January 14, 2015 at 3:09 am

Hi I live in high altitude(6500ft) in CO and usually chocolate chip cookies have to be made a little different do you know if this recipe will still work or if I should use the H.A Recipe I already use for cookies? Is this recipe changed from your normal cookie recipe? Thanks these look sooooo amazing I can’t wait to try them!!! I just don’t know which way would be best. I love all your recipes it’s like I could be baking everyday and still not make them all!!☆☆☆☆☆

Nikoposted January 16, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Bloody hell Sally!! This is only the second recipe ive looked at on your blog, and i already want to spent a fortune or ingredients, look up my kitchen door, and spend the rest of my life making theses recipes!
    Im very happy i found your site, otherwise, id be sitting at home all day without any decent recipes!

Lyndsayposted February 16, 2015 at 5:16 pm

I made these last night they turned out great! They were a big hit. Very heavy but thats what makes it so good! lol I continue to follow your recipes great work!

Kelley Johnsonposted March 7, 2015 at 5:28 pm

I made these for a coworker’s birthday at the beginning of February. She is a die-hard fan of only one thing: chocolate chip cookies.
    These are really heavy, but that really is the great thing about them – I am a frosting addict and after one, I felt completely satiated. (okay, maybe two!). With a few rainbow sprinkles on top they were a great birthday surprise. She was so thrilled about them – I had a feeling she would be so I brought a few extra for her to take home ( the office ATTACKED on sight, so I had to hide her leftovers lol).

Meganposted March 14, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Hi Sally! I’m just about to make these delicious cupcakes and I was wondering if they would still be good in a mini muffin pan? Just wanted to make them bite sized or should I make them in a regular muffin size? Thank you! Can’t wait to devour them!

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2015 at 3:27 pm

You can make them mini size! Unsure of the exact bake time. It will be less. Same oven temperature.

Jennaposted March 22, 2015 at 2:14 pm

How big of a difference would it make if I used margarine? I know of course the taste will be altered but baking wise, what will it change?

Kristinaposted April 5, 2015 at 10:35 pm

My kids and I made these on Friday. It was fun scooping the dough into the muffin tins and then squishing it down. I used my medium OXO scoop which is supposed to be 1.5 T and got 29 cookie cups out of the dough. They baked beautifully – done at 13 minutes! I chopped up a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and added them to the frosting, piped it onto the cookie cups using a somewhat large tip, and then topped half with more chopped up chocolate chips. They were perfect and we all gave them 5 stars, but….

After being in the fridge, the cookies lost their softness and the frosting got hard. I sat them out for several hours the next day and, of course, the frosting got soft again, but the cookie never seemed to recover. When I make them next time, I will only frost what we’ll eat that day.

Sally, could you explain why the frosting needs to be refrigerated? It must have something to do with the raw flour?

• Sallyreplied on April 6th, 2015 at 8:46 am

Hi Kristina! I recommend keeping the cookie dough frosting in the refrigerator to prevent it from spoiling, but you can use your best judgement on storage the next time you make them. I’m so glad you enjoyed them on the first day.

Candaceposted April 22, 2015 at 3:07 pm

These look incredible and I can’t wait to make (and eat) them! I have a question…I’d like to use this recipe to make some gender reveal cupcakes (I’ll find out the gender later today so I’m not sure what color yet.) After baking them I will scoop out a little bit of the top, put in some mystery color frosting, then put the top on and frost like normal. I was wondering if there would be any issue with using food coloring in the frosting, so I don’t have to use two different types of frosting. I was thinking the only thing that may throw off the color would be the vanilla or brown sugar (I’ll be using light) but the frosting in your pictures seems light enough that I shouldn’t have a problem. What do you think?

• Sallyreplied on April 22nd, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I truly don’t think coloring this frosting will be an issue. Should be just fine– you can use clear vanilla extract as well if you’d like.

• Candacereplied on April 25th, 2015 at 9:04 am

Hi Sally, thanks for your feedback! I think I’m actually going to try it using some food coloring added to your vanilla buttercream frosting as the filling to add a little something different in there, and maybe have like a chocolate chip whoopie pie kinda taste to it. I was wondering though, if I may be able to add a little more batter to each cup to make them taller or if there would be an issue with them not baking completely? I was just concerned about them being too short to be able scoop out enough for the filling. I’d really love to use this recipe, the gender reveal is combined with a birthday celebration and the birthday girl doesn’t like chocolate cake (I don’t know what’s wrong with her!) and I wanted to do something a little more exciting than vanilla…not that there’s anything wrong with vanilla, I love it, but cookie dough…no contest! Have you ever tried these using more batter for a taller cupcake?

Joleneposted May 15, 2015 at 12:29 am

Hi, Sally!

First, LOVE your site–I found it months ago and have made so many things and have loved them all.
    I did, however, made one change to the frosting recipe and I simply love it. I made these for a party I had and one of the women attending is pregnant. Being extra careful, I looked up every ingredient to just “be sure” and found that raw flour has a small chance of contamination since it is considered a “raw” product meant for cooking. With this in mind, I decided to “toast” the flour. The flavor of the flour afterwards makes the icing just slightly nutty, but not too much. It is just delicious. I highly recommend for those who may not want to eat the raw flour for some reason or if you want a nutty twist. To toast the flour I simply measured the flour into a sauce pan, put on medium high heat, and stirred continuously–seriously do NOT stop stirring–for 5 minutes. Both time I’ve done it now there was very little color change to the flour itself but I measured the temperature and it got above 160 degrees (safe for consumption) both times. Anyway, love the site and can’t wait to try more recipes! <3

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Brilliant! Totally trying it. The slight nutty flavor is what sold me!

Kristinaposted June 4, 2015 at 4:04 am

Hi Sally, I have made these cupcakes so many times and they always turn out perfect!! but what do I do if I want to make this delicious recipe into a cake instead of cupcakes?

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2015 at 7:07 am

Kristina, you can bake this in a 9-inch cake or pie dish. And frost with the cookie dough frosting. The bake time will be about 25 minutes.

Kimberlyposted July 30, 2015 at 3:20 pm

These look great! Im making them for my son’s cookies and milk birthday party and want to make them mini cupcakes instead. What do you recommend as a baking time? Thanks!!

• Sallyreplied on July 30th, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I’d say 10 minutes.

Kimberlyposted July 31, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Great, thanks! I love your site and am using four of your other recipes for the party too. Thanks again!

Melissaposted September 20, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Do you spray the cupcake liners with cooking spray?

Roseposted October 30, 2015 at 12:13 am

Hi Sally!

I love this recipe however unfortunately I wasn’t successful with it since my cupcakes didn’t rise and sank. I’ve made these before and they’ve turned out well, but I don’t know why went wrong this time. Just wondering now what to do with the lovely cookie cupcake dough…   Any suggestions?