Nutella-Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins.

Donut-like muffins dipped in cinnamon-sugar and stuffed with Nutella. These are my favorite way to eat Nutella!

Donut-like muffins dipped in cinnamon-sugar and stuffed with Nutella. The BEST way to eat Nutella!

One of the best things about running my blog is that there are no rules.

I love peanut butter, I love cookies, I love salted caramel, and I definitely love sprinkles. And my recipe archive reflects that!  They are the flavors and desserts I personally love to make. My baking addiction demonstrates that.

Being in the blogworld for a little over a year, I’ve learned that reposting old recipes may be taboo or against the rules. However, I recently made my Nutella-Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins again and they were too pretty to not photograph with my new camera. And too pretty to not share with my newer readers. This muffin recipe is a goldmine and I want to make sure no one misses it!

The muffins taste like donuts.  Like those cinnamon sugar cake donuts from Entenmanns.  A breakfast including those donuts was always one of my favorites growing up.  Last summer I went on a mission to recreate something very similar, but give it a little upgrade. Enter Nutella. 😉

The muffins have been so popular with my readers for a good reason: they are out of this world!  A real treat first thing in the morning. They freeze well, so you may enjoy them anytime you want without making them fresh. Just heat them up for about 45 seconds straight from the freezer.  Such a comforting treat with a warm cup of coffee or tea. For breakfast, for snacking, as dessert, or at midnight.  These are perfect any time of day when that chocolate/donut/cinnamon-sugar craving hits.

And did I mention? They are whole wheat too. Simply use a mixture of whole wheat flour + all-purpose flour OR all white-whole wheat flour (that’s what I do).  The recipe makes 8-9 very soft, moist muffins and can easily be doubled.

Making these muffins is easy. It takes about 30 minutes start to finish, and the ingredients are all mixed in 1 bowl.  Any recipes where I can avoid doing extra dishes are favored in this house. I loathe dishes, so this is one of my favorite recipes to make.

The muffins bake up to be quite tall. Tall domed muffins with a gorgeous crackled top. I used the tricks I shared in this post to ensure a high-topped muffin. Be sure to read that post if you’re curious to learn how to bake tall, bakery-style muffins. Once they come out of the oven, give them a generous dunk into melted butter and then another dunk into a shallow bowl of cinnamon/sugar. I coat them heavily with the good stuff.

While I love the cinnamon sugar coating on top, the absolute best part is the melty Nutella hiding inside. A surprise burst of chocolate in every single bite. You can even top with MORE Nutella. You only live once. 😉

No one can resist these muffins. I brought them to work before and they were gone within minutes.  A cinnamon/nutmeg spiced whole wheat batter, stuffed with a generous portion of Nutella, and then dunked into butter and more cinnamon.  Readers have told me that this is my best recipe!

And I would happen to agree. Easy, quick, buttery, and irresistible. That’s what I’m talkin’ about!

Have you tried them yet? Let me know what you think about them!

Nutella-Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

Yield: 8-9 muffins

• 1/3 cup (5 Tablespoons or 75g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) milk (cow, almond, soy)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) white whole wheat flour* (measured correctly)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 teaspoons Nutella

Cinnamon-Sugar Topping

• 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3 Tablespoons (45g) unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 425F. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl of an electric or stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed. Mix in the egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Gently stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Do not overmix - stir until *just* combined.

Spoon 1 heaping Tablespoon of batter into muffin cavity. Layer with 1 teaspoon Nutella in the center and spoon another heaping Tablespoon of batter on top. If the muffin tins are completely full, that is ok. They will not overflow. Repeat layering batter and Nutella into each muffin tin. I got exactly 8 muffins. Fill the empty muffin tins halfway with water for even baking.

Bake at 425F for 5 minutes. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce temperature to 350F and bake for an additional 13-17 minutes until batter is set. Allow muffins to cool for about 5 minutes.

While the muffins are cooling, make the cinnamon-sugar topping. Melt the butter for about 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir and stick back in microwave if not fully melted. In a separate small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Dip the top of each muffin into the melted butter and dip into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Swirl them around in the cinnamon-sugar a bit to make sure you get a thick coating. Set upright on cooling rack.

Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container up to 1 week.  Muffins freeze well, up to 3 months.

*Instead of white whole wheat flour, you may use all-purpose flour or half whole wheat flour/half all-purpose flour.

You’ll love these recipes too!

Nutella Swirl Pound Cake

Nutella Swirl Pound Cake

Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Nutella Frosting

Chocolate Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting

Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Pie

Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Pie

See more recipes with Nutella.

See more muffin recipes.

281 Responses to “Nutella-Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins.”

Lisaspeechposted March 26, 2015 at 9:44 pm

These look amazing…just wondering if you (or anyone out there) has ever substituted the butter in the muffins with canola or vegetable oil?

Lisaspeechposted March 26, 2015 at 9:48 pm

And I agree with Devon, everything I have ever made off your site is delicious…I actually just made your cinnamon chocolate chip loaf (which calls for canola oil) and it made me think maybe I could substitute it in this recipe. Anyway love your treats :) so thank you

Barbaraposted April 26, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does “cream the butter and sugar together” mean? Is this different than just plain mixing? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on April 27th, 2015 at 9:08 am

Creaming the butter and sugar together means beating the two together until a creamy consistency is achieved.

Kateposted April 29, 2015 at 11:32 am

Can you make the dough ahead of time and keep refrigerated until ready to bake?

• Sallyreplied on April 29th, 2015 at 11:35 am

No. The baking powder begins reacting when moistened and the muffins must be baked right away.

Elkeposted May 26, 2015 at 11:56 am

Hey Sally!
    Great recipe, I made these a few days ago in a jumbo muffin pan, creating six delicious muffins!
    I want to make them again tomorrow, but for a bigger group. Ideally, I would like to double the recipe. However, I only have 1 jumbo muffin pan for 6 muffins, so I would have to bake them after each other. Is it okay to leave the muffin batter for about 20 mins until the first set of muffins are out of the oven? Or do you recommend preparing the muffin batter separately two times?

• Sallyreplied on May 26th, 2015 at 9:04 pm

You can do either. I usually just prepare two separate batters and bake them one after the other. For me, this is easier than doubling the recipe.

Liana Hakobjanyanposted June 25, 2015 at 9:18 am

Thanks a lot for the recipe. One of the best muffins I’ve ever found on the net. Really inspiring.

Alessandraposted June 26, 2015 at 10:05 am

Would this recipe work with pudding?  I stuff too many things with nutella!  My family wants a change.

• Sallyreplied on June 26th, 2015 at 10:16 am

Maheenposted September 1, 2015 at 11:18 am

Sally!!! I made few of your recipes, your pizza dough is our staple one. My friends go gaga over your salted caramel sauce, be it with those mini Oreo cheesecakes or with anyyyything else and now this! These cupcakes are just unbelievable yummy !!! Mine didn’t look as nice but those spices and Nutella omg I could sleep on them ! A dream! Thank you very much for sharing these treasures!

Peggy, Singaporeposted September 23, 2015 at 3:05 am

Sally, Tried these over last weekend, they were Yummilicious! Will definitely be  a staple item in my household!

Linaposted October 12, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Hi Sally.  Would you recommend making these in a mini muffin tin?  If so, how long should it be baked for?  Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Yes, that can be done! Simply use a mini muffin pan and about 1/2 teaspoon of nutella per muffin. The bake time will be considerably less. Maybe 10-13 minutes.

Priyaposted October 14, 2015 at 7:44 am

Sally these are amazing !!! Everyone I have made them for love them. I would love to make this as a cake-possible?? Also I used egg replacer as I don’t eat egg. Can I use yogurt instead and if so, how much?

Timonposted October 24, 2015 at 10:38 am

Hello Sally!

I have a question about the oven temperature. When i lower the temperature do i just turn the oven on a lower heat or do i also open the door until the temperature is at 350°F?
    PS: I really love your blog! keep up the great work. Greetings from germany

• Sallyreplied on October 25th, 2015 at 6:25 pm

No need to open the door!

Amyposted October 28, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Amazing recipe! No offense, but your other muffin recepies have turned out a bit wierd with a rubbery texture, but this one came out perfectly spongy ans moist. The mixture was quite sticky so it took a long time to get on the muffin cases, but it was worth it when they came out. I swirled them with nutella instead of stuffing them, though. The problem was, though, it made really little cupcakes and with a big family i need like 25 cupcakes if i want the cupcakes to last more than one day. We ate them all if them at lunchtime. Next time ill double the recipe!

Charlotteposted November 24, 2015 at 11:29 am

I made these last night but found the batter really really thick and heavy. The muffins came out a bit dry! I want to try again and make the muffins more moist. Does anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if adding more milk to the batter would help?
    Thanks so much!:)