Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart.

A classic rustic galette recipe using summer’s finest juicy fruits.

Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart-- this free-form pie is so simple to make!

Have you ever had a tart like this before?

This rustic tart can also be called a galette. Galettes are quite similar both in taste and presentation as pie.  Except they are easier!  That’s why I love to make them, especially in the summertime when juicy fruits like peaches and strawberries are in their prime. Another reason why I love to make galettes is because they aren’t as particular and delicate as pie; there is much more room for error!

This recipe is basically a freeform crusty pie. Emphasis on crusty. The buttery, flaky crust was my favorite part!  It sort of tasted like a biscuit. A fruit-filled, juicy biscuit.

Peaches are in their prime right now.  I’ve been dying to go peach picking this summer out in Westminster MD, but haven’t found the time.  If you have a peach tree outside, consider me very jealous. I love them!  Rather than using only ripe peaches for my tart, I added some color to the filling. A super sweet strawberry contrast to the pretty peaches. Isn’t she just gorgeous?!

Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart recipe on
Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart-- like a free-form pie. This is so simple!

To make this recipe, you’re going to start with 2 ripe peaches and 2 cups of sliced strawberries.  Peel the peaches, mix them up with the strawberries, a bit of sugar and vanilla extract. Let that mixture soak for awhile as you prepare the crust.

Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart by

The crust is made from flour, sugar, salt, cold butter, and ice cold water. The temperature of the last two ingredients is imperative to your crust’s texture. Chill your butter in the freezer for about 15 minutes and cut it into cubes. With a pastry blender (or your hands), mix the cold butter with the flour, sugar, and salt until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Crumbs the size of peas is what you’re going for.

Fill a large measuring cup with water and ice. Stir it around. From that, measure 1/4 cup of water and add to the crust mixture. Stir lightly with a fork until the flour is moistened, then gently knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together.  Add 2 more Tablespoons of ice water if the dough seems too dry. I had to add the additional water this time, but sometimes I don’t need it.

Using your hands, shape the dough into a ball and then flatten it into a thick disc. Wrap it up in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart by

On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Feel free to cut off a bit around the edges to make the circle neat. Transfer the dough to a lined baking sheet.

Time to add the fruit. Using a slotted spoon, place the fruit on the center of the dough, leaving a 2 or 3 inch border all around.  The amount of border you leave will determine how much fruit is exposed in the center of the tart. I always go for a 2-3 inch border. Gently fold the edges of dough over the fruit, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges.

Like so:

Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart by

Pour most (but not all) of the remaining fruit juice over the fruit in the center. Brush the edges of the crust with a beaten egg. Sprinkle with some sugar. There is always room for extra sugar! The peaches and strawberries will expel some of their juices in the baking process. The crust just soaks it all up, but doesn’t get too soggy in the process.

The tart takes only about 25-35 minutes in the oven. Why the huge gap of time? Well all ovens are different. Sometimes I leave this crust in a bit longer so the crust browns a bit, other times I don’t.

Slice the rustic tart like you would slice a pie. We enjoyed it warm and I added an easy vanilla glaze to each slice before serving.  Holy mackerel – the glaze took each bite to the next level! You could also serve the tart with some melty vanilla ice cream. Deeee-lish on a warm summer day.

Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart by

The buttery crust, the juicy filling, the sweet glaze – there is so much to love about this dessert. I can’t believe I waited all summer to make it!  You could use blueberries or blackberries instead of strawberries or even slice up a pear and add cinnamon to the filling for a warm autumn treat.

Rustic, yet elegant. I love this easy dessert!

Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart

Yield: 1 tart

• 2 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced (not frozen)
  • 2 cups (about 300 grams) sliced fresh strawberries (not frozen)
  • 2 Tablespoons (30 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 1 and 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 3 Tablespoons (45 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed1
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) ice water, plus more as needed
  • 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
  • additional sugar for sprinkling

1. Make the filling: Mix the peaches and strawberries together in a medium bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla, tossing well to coat the fruit. Set aside and allow the mixture to soak as you prepare the crust.
  2. Make the crust: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter (or your hands), cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add 1/4 cup of ice water, stirring with a fork until the flour is moistened. Add up to 2 more Tablespoons of ice water if the dough seems dry. Gently knead the dough a few times in the bowl until it all comes together. Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it into a thick disk, as pictured above. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour.
  3. Preheat oven to 425°F (190°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Trim the rim of the circle to make a clean cut if desired. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet.
  5. Spoon the fruit (not the juices) into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-3 inch border all around, as pictured above. Gently fold the edges of the dough over the fruit, overlapping the dough as necessary. Press gently to seal the edges. Pour most of the reserved juices over the fruit, leaving about 1-2 Tablespoons behind. Too much juice and the dough will become soggy.
  6. Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, Remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool before serving.
  7. If you wish to drizzle with vanilla glaze, use the glaze recipe from here. Serve warm or at room temperature.
  8. Tart tastes best on the same day it is baked. Cover tart with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

1. Make sure your butter is very cold. I like to chill it in the freezer for about 15 minutes ahead of time.

Try my Sweet Cherry Pie next!

Sweet Cherry Pie with Toasted Almonds on

Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart is like a free-form pie! It's so simple to make and there is NEVER any leftover!

157 Responses to “Rustic Strawberry Peach Tart.”

Sarahposted October 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Hey Sally! I’m from Westminster! :)

• Sallyreplied on October 6th, 2013 at 9:25 am

Did you go peach picking this past summer? I never made it there!

• Sarahreplied on October 6th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I don’t think I’ve been out to the orchard since I was a kid. They have a nice market at the restaurant, though. Not so out of the way.

Camillaposted October 6, 2013 at 2:50 am

I was wondering is it possible to use can peaches instead? What other fruits can I use as substitutes that would affect the chemistry during baking?
    I just started baking and so happy to find your website. I love yoga too! (I go at least 4 times a week) and I have just set a new goal: to bake one of your recipes each week! your blog it so inspiring! Thank you :)

• Sallyreplied on October 6th, 2013 at 9:35 am

Hi Camilla! I used to do yoga everyday and I need to get back into it! Maybe I’ll shoot for 3-4 times a week like you. It always makes me feel so relaxed and grounded. Anyway, I am so happy that you enjoy my blog. You have to let me know which recipes you make as you make them. I love to hear about it.

For this tart, you may certianly used canned peaches. Try to slightly drained them a bit because they are more liquidy than fresh peaches. Apples, pears, or plums would be fantastic as well. Enjoy!

• Camillareplied on October 11th, 2013 at 2:48 am

Hey Sally,
        I used pears, mixed berries and kiwi fruits (added them on top last) instead.
        it turned out really well!! I even made the vanilla glaze to go with it!
        I also made the healthy banana berries muffin! Can’t believe yogurt can substitute butter! I love it so much! Now I don’t need to feel guilty about eating muffins!! Thanks again for the recipes and amazing pictures!

• Sallyreplied on October 11th, 2013 at 7:08 am

The fruit mixture you used for this tart sounds incredible Camilla. Especially those kiwis! And the banana berry muffins – one of my favorites.

Jodee Weilandposted May 16, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Looks delicious! I do something similar, and I love it because changing up the dessert is as easy as changing up the filling. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Jaclynposted May 17, 2014 at 8:38 pm

This is gorgeous Sally! I love tarts like this! Such beautiful colors!

Zainabposted June 10, 2014 at 12:01 am

I made it with peaches, pears, and blueberries and it turned out fantastic!
    I love that you show a picture for each step! I eagerly await for another galette or tart recipe.

Emilyposted June 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I just made this recipe (using strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries instead of peaches and strawberries) and very berry muffins using your master mix. Best baking I have ever done! Thank you so much for the great recipes and tutorials! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your site.

• Sallyreplied on June 16th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Emily – so happy you enjoyed both recipes!

Toni Cposted June 25, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Hello! First time to your site, and I was looking for something to do with strawberries that were on their last legs, and too many peaches (I’m only 1 person, but they were so cheap!) I actually halved the recipe to make it more of a 2 person dessert, and it worked beautifully. Great instructions, great pictures, great galette! This is delicious. Thank you! Can’t wait to look at your other recipes – oh – and mine might be a teeny bit tastier because I make my own vanilla extract and I used vanilla bean infused sugar in the fruit 😉

Ana Juliaposted June 29, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Muchas gracias por compartir tus creaciones. Excelente. Bendiciones. Saludos desde Venezuela!

Jenposted June 29, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Wow!!! This was super tasty! I made it with peaches, blueberries, and black cherries since the grocery stores (two of them might I add!!!) were out of strawberries. My husband said this crust was amazing! I’m happy to say this will be my new go to dessert! Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on June 30th, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Out of strawberries?! Everyone must be stocking up for 4th of July! This would be delicious with cherries… and I love the crust too! Thanks for reporting back Jen.

Sarahposted July 3, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I want to make this for a 4th of July party tomorrow. Could I double it & make a large rectangular tart?

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Yes, that should be fine.

Abby Hposted July 12, 2014 at 1:42 am

YUM Sally this is delicious! Thank you for the recipe, my husband and I loved it :)

Karaposted July 15, 2014 at 4:16 pm

This was DELICIOUS! It was my first tart, and it turned out wonderfully! It was all I could do to not eat the fruit before I baked it. It was like eating candy. My whole family loved it, and it was extremely easy to make. I’m definitely an amature baker, and it tasted (and looked) like it was done by a professional! I love your blog, and your recipes are fantastic!

• Sallyreplied on July 16th, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Thanks Kara! I’m so glad you love this tart as much as I do. Thanks for reading my blog, it means a lot :) Have a great week!

Saraposted July 21, 2014 at 2:28 pm

It tastes great but it looks horrible :( the crust expanded/melted down some and apparently my fruit was too juicy because it oozed everywhere. What did I do wrong? I’ll strain the macerated fruit next time but I followed the crust recipe exactly, freezing the butter and using ice water and refridgerated the dough 1.25 hours. I also used a silpat.

• Sallyreplied on July 21st, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I simply suggest straining the fruit. Sound sleek the crust just couldn’t hold it all.

• sarareplied on July 12th, 2015 at 3:23 pm

FYI, you need to add some cornstarch to the fruit.  it helps to thicken the juices so it doesn’t run all over!  :)

lisaposted August 2, 2014 at 10:33 pm

are you able to freeze this?

• Sallyreplied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I do not recommend it. There is so much baked fruit juice/liquid. It would be very difficult.

Sandy B.posted August 8, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I made your awesome dessert tonight. We loved it!! My kids helped me to drizzle the glaze. It was so much fun!. We also love your donuts. Yum!!

Summerposted August 14, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Do you think this would be good with only strawberries? If so, would I just double them for this recipe?

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I think it would be delicious. And double them – you may have a little too many though. Use your best judgement; you don’t want to crowd the tart with too much or it will get soggy.

Brandi Rposted September 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Did I miss the icing recipe? Can you tell me how you made it? Thank you! I cant wait to make this tomorrow!

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Step #7 – enjoy!

Lizzieposted September 8, 2014 at 8:11 am

This looks awesome! Quick question – the two cups of strawberries, is that two cups measured after they are sliced, or before as whole?

• Sallyreplied on September 8th, 2014 at 8:13 am

Hi Lizzie – 2 cups of sliced strawberries. Sorry for the confusion!

• Lizziereplied on September 8th, 2014 at 8:22 am

No need to apologize :) Thanks for clarifying! I’ve been having a blast baking my way through your cookbook and website. My husband says thanks for getting me hooked on baking :)

Kelseyposted October 11, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I made a fall version of this recipe. I switched out the peaches and strawberries for apples-adding some cinnamon and brown sugar almost like a apple pie tart, great success at our Thanksgiving dessert :) (Canadian Thanksgiving) love your recipes Sally your amazing!!!

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Yum! That sounds so tasty Kelsey.

Mayaposted March 27, 2015 at 11:33 am

Would it be possible to make the crust using all purpose gluten free flour?

• Mayareplied on March 27th, 2015 at 11:34 am

Sorry for posting twice…it looked like the first one didnt go through!

• Sallyreplied on March 27th, 2015 at 4:03 pm

That should be fine for this tart, Maya!

ellieposted April 13, 2015 at 10:50 am

Beautiful presentation! I can’t wait to try!

Michelleposted May 6, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe! It is so delicious and simple to make. I made it for the in-laws and it went down a treat – excuse the pun. They were very impressed. Now I’m pinning almost all of your recipes.

Katlin Sposted May 16, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Can you substitute a more natural sugar for granulated sugar? Maybe use some whole-wheat flour in place of all purpose?

• Sallyreplied on May 17th, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Feel free to test it out with your favorite natural sugar. And whole wheat flour would make a heavier/denser tart but I’m sure it would be delicious.

Lynda Duncanposted May 17, 2015 at 7:46 am

Your tart looks fab, I just wondered how the base turns out, does it cook through, or are you left with the proverbial “soggy bottom”?

• Sallyreplied on May 17th, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I don’t think it’s too soggy at all. Like the bottom of pie crust – obviously not as crisp and firm as the edges and top.

Nikkiposted May 18, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I am going to try this with blackberries and peaches?.  I love blackberries and peaches.
    Would this work with rhubarb, do you think?

• Sallyreplied on May 18th, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Blackberries and rhubarb would both be delicious.

Donnaposted May 27, 2015 at 12:21 am

Have you tried rhubarb? If you do, put a mixture layer of ground almonds, flour and some sugar under the fruit to absorb some of the juice. You’ll want to add sugar to the rhubarb and stir and let sit a bit. Dot some butter over the fruit when the galette is shaped then do the egg white and sugar glaze. This is really tasty when well toasted in the oven. Made it a lot and was always a hit.

Laurelposted June 7, 2015 at 2:10 pm

This looks so delicious and I’m wanting to make it for an upcoming ladies event but I’ve never made my own crust before…I don’t have a pastry cutter. Can you explain how I would do it without one? Thanks! Can’t wait to try it!

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2015 at 9:47 am

You can use your hands to gently “mash” everything together or use two forks to work the butter into he dry ingredients.

Meganposted June 16, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Hi, Sally! I made this tart tonight and it was amazing!!! Thank you so much for such a fantastic recipe and such wonderful instructions. My family loved it, it didn’t even last an hour. Thanks!

Katieposted July 1, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Could you use this same filling (with a larger portion) in a pie do you think?

• Sallyreplied on July 1st, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Amandaposted July 3, 2015 at 12:21 pm

This is so beautiful! How long do you think the dough can be refrigerated for before use? I would like to make the dough about 20 hours ahead of time. Thanks!!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I’d say up to 2-3 days.

Laurenposted July 3, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Hi Sally! I make tons of your recipes and love them every time!
    Quick question, about how many will this serve? Deciding how many to make for the 4th.

Thanks in advance!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Around 6-8 servings. I usually make two because everyone usually wants seconds!

• Laurenreplied on July 3rd, 2015 at 8:02 pm

I totally tried to play it cool but I almost feel star struck. Haha. Like I said, I’ve made so many of your recipes and scoured your blog and asked for your cookbook for my birthday.

Looking forward to more of your stuff!

Pauletteposted July 13, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Hi Sally, I’ve just found your recipes and can’t wait to try some. I do have one question, I’am a
    pastry dropout! I know the galette is not supposed to be perfect so how would it turn out if I used
    a store bought pie dough? Would there be a real taste difference? Thanks for any help.

• Sallyreplied on July 14th, 2015 at 7:35 am

Store bought pie dough works if that’s easier for you!

RJposted July 17, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Wow! I just tried this after finding it on Pinterest. Let me just say, it is the only recipe that has turned out exactly like it looks and sounds. So delicious. I never leave reviews. This was worth my time though, and will be well worth yours if you try it.

• RJreplied on July 17th, 2015 at 9:18 pm

By only recipe, I mean only recipe I’ve ever found on Pinterest. I haven’t tried any other recipes from this site, but look forward to it.

Chrissyposted July 22, 2015 at 10:28 am

Okay, so I just made the crust and the dough was REALLY wet. That was just with 1/4 c water. Should I add flour? Start over? Will it set up after being refrigerated? Any help is appreciated!

• Chrissyreplied on July 22nd, 2015 at 10:30 am

I should add butter was very cold and so was water. What did I do wrong?

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Chrissy, I’m unsure how it could be so wet with all that flour and such little water?! Was there a mis-measure or anything? You can add more flour, little by little, until it comes together as pictured.

Sadieposted July 24, 2015 at 6:33 pm

This is in the oven now!!! I can’t wait to see how it turns out.  Thanks for the post!!!

Chileposted August 4, 2015 at 7:53 pm

can you use puff pastry?

Sanaposted August 15, 2015 at 11:44 am

Hey , Sally. Can we keep the dough in the fridge overnight ? And then bake the whole pie the next day?

• Sallyreplied on August 16th, 2015 at 11:44 am

Annaposted August 24, 2015 at 11:59 am

Hi Sally, As a teenager, I stayed with a French family outside Paris in the late 70’s and I remember the mother used to make this dessert daily in a tart pan without cutting the strawberries; they just stood up. But I believe she used to put some type of jam on it after it was done baking. It was absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to try it.

Jenniferposted November 20, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Hi Sally. I’ve been on your website last night nd still on this morning. You’re recipes are so quick and easy and I love that. I would love to make this for thanksgiving because this will blow my familys mind away. I haven’t seen any peaches around my local grocery stores. Which do u recommend i should, frozen or canned peaches?? Thank you :)

• Sallyreplied on November 20th, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Frozen are not ideal. But if they’re the last option, make sure you thaw them before using in the filling. Do not used canned. Apples would be good too! With a little cinnamon.

• Jenniferreplied on November 21st, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Thank you Sally :) I shall make an apple one as well cant wait to tru this and your blueberry peach pie for thanksgiving :) thank you again:)