Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Cinnamon Swirl Frosting.

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes! Cinnamon-sugar swirled vanilla cupcakes topped with creamy cinnamon and vanilla frosting.

Snickerdoodle cookies have and will always reign supreme to many other types of cookies. Well, in my world at least. Pure, simple, and loaded with cinnamon-sugar. I love any excuse to dunk a baked good into cinnamon-sugar.

I’m pretty sure cinnamon-sugar runs through my veins.

And I wasn’t shy about loading up my favorite cupcake recipe with cinnamon today. Cinny-swirls inside, cinnamon peeking through the edges, cinnamon-sugar dusted on top, a mountain of cinnamon-swirl frosting, and a mini snickerdoodle cookie to finish it all off. Go grab a tall glass of milk because you’ll need it to get through this post…

I have a standard vanilla batter that I use as my go-to for cakes and cupcakes. This batter has morphed into funfetti, funfetti again, strawberry shortcake, very very very vanilla bean, cookies ‘n cream, and tie-dye with only a few slight changes here and there.

I also use this sensational vanilla cupcake/cake batter for several new recipes in my upcoming cookbook. My standard vanilla batter is a recipe every baker should have in his/her kitchen. It’s incredibly easy, straightforward and has wow’ed me… yet again.  I turned it into a fluffy snickerdoodle. 😉

Today’s recipe is a fine example that show-stopping desserts don’t have to be difficult or challenging! You can impress everyone with a simple recipe and a little creativity. Seriously… how can you resist THESE?

Making today’s cupcakes is so easy, you’ll feel like you did something wrong.

There are 3 parts to these snickerdoodle cupcakes:

• Cinnamon-Swirled Vanilla Cupcakes
  • Cinnamon & Vanilla Swirled Frosting
  • Mini Snickerdoodle Cookies for decor

1) First, the cupcake batter. SO easy. It’s mixed together in minutes!  You don’t even need an electric mixer.  Simply melt butter, whisk it with some sugar, 1 egg, vanilla extract, yogurt, and milk. Yep, I used protein-packed Greek yogurt in these cupcakes. Not a lot, only a little to make them extra moist.  Add these wet ingredients to your dry: flour, leaveners, and salt. That’s it!  It’s not rocket science, it’s cupcakes.

Spoon 2 Tablespoons of cupcake batter into 12 cupcake liners. Then, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon-sugar. Top with more cupcake batter and 1 more teaspoon of cinnamon-sugar. Some of the cinnamon-sugar layer from the center may peek out on the top.  Here is what my cupcakes looked like before baking:

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

Now it’s time to bake them. And then smell the cinnamon goodness wafting through your entire kitchen. The smell of these cupcakes is pure bliss on a fall afternoon, I tell ya.

2) The frosting. These snickerdoodle cupcakes are so darn amazing, that you don’t even need frosting. Yes, I just said that. But let’s be serious. I had the opportunity to make cinnamon frosting, so clearly cinnamon frosting is what I did…

You can’t really tell from the photos, but the frosting I used to top these cupcakes is two-toned. First, I made my go-to vanilla buttercream.  Then I transferred half of the frosting to a separate bowl and beat 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon into it.  Cinnamon + vanilla in one. I could eat this frosting all day and be set for life.

Here is exactly how I swirled the two frostings together. I simply filled my piping bag with half of the cinnamon frosting and half of the vanilla frosting. I used a Wilton 1M tip to frost, but any tip would work. If you do not have a frosting piping bag + tip, no worries! You can frost the two frostings however you’d like on top of the snickerdoodle cupcakes. Or just use all vanilla frosting or all cinnamon frosting.

How to make Cinnamon Swirl Frosting. This stuff is so good!

Again, if you don’t have a piping bag/tip, no problem! You can frost the cupcakes however you’d like.

3) And last but not least, a little decor for your Snickerdoodle Cupcakes. Mini snickerdoodle cookies. Whip up a batch of my Soft & Thick Snickerdoodles (a 20 minute recipe) and make them into mini cookies, which is about 2 teaspoons of cookie dough per cookie.  Bake them for 7 minutes.

Soft-Baked Mini Snickerdoodle Cookies. These are so good!

So there ya go. A mini snickerdoodle cookie for your easy snickerdoodle cupcakes. :)  You could also decorate the cupcakes with a cinnamon stick, white chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips, sliced almonds, a drizzle of caramel sauce, a banana slice, apple slice, etc. Anything that goes with cinnamon. (Which is everything.)

Enjoy your new favorite cupcakes!

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Cinnamon Swirl Frosting

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling

Light and fluffy vanilla cupcakes with a cinnamon-sugar swirl, topped with cinnamon & vanilla frostings.

• 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup (60g) yogurt*
  • 3/4 cup (180ml) milk*
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Cinnamon-Swirl Frosting

• 1 cup (2 sticks or 230g) salted or unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3-4 cups (360-480g) confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy cream or half-and-half*
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • salt, to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 12 snickerdoodle cookies, mini size (read above for how to make them mini-sized)

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in 1 cup of sugar - mixture will be gritty. Stir in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.

In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon together.  Set aside.  Spoon 2 scant Tablespoons of cupcake batter into each cupcake liner.  Top with 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Top with 1 heaping Tablespoon of cupcake batter, until the cupcake tins are about 3/4 full. Some of the cinnamon-sugar filling from the center layer may peek through the top layer of batter. See photo above for a visual.  Top each cupcake with 1 teaspoon more of the cinnamon-sugar.

Bake the cupcakes for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.

To make the frosting, beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners' sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes (the longer you beat, the creamier the frosting). Add more confectioners' sugar if frosting is too thin or more cream if the frosting is too thick. Taste the frosting and add salt if frosting is too sweet (1/4 teaspoon). Remove half of the frosting from the mixing bowl and transfer to a smaller mixing bowl.  Add 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.

To swirl the frosting, spoon half cinnamon frosting into the piping bag and half vanilla frosting into the piping bag. See above for a visual. Pipe onto cupcakes as desired. I used a Wilton 1M swirl tipIf you do not have a piping bag and tip, simply frost the cupcakes with both the vanilla and cinnamon frostings. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you use on each cupcake.

*For the yogurt in the cupcakes, you may use plain or vanilla; regular or greek yogurt; any fat content; or even sour cream.

*For the milk in the cupcakes, you may use cow's milk; or soy milk; or almond milk. Vanilla or plain. I prefer using milk with some fat (like 1% or 2%), it makes the cupcakes moister.

*For the cream in the frosting, you may use milk instead. However, the consistency of the frosting will not be as creamy.

Here is my standard vanilla cupcake and vanilla frosting recipe.

Funfetti style. 😉

Easy Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes. Seriously, the BEST cupcakes ever. Easier and tastier than a box mix!_

So much snickerdoodle love.

Snickerdoodle White Chocolate Blondies

Snickerdoodle White Chocolate Blondies

20 Minute Soft & Thick Snickerdoodles

Soft & Thick Snickerdoodles. Ready in 20 minutes!

1 Giant Snickerdoodle Cookie (recipe for 1 large cookie)

Giant Snickerdoodle

185 Responses to “Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Cinnamon Swirl Frosting.”

Micheleposted January 31, 2015 at 4:59 pm

The flavor of these cupcakes is amazing! My cake did not come out as fluffy as yours, they were much more dense. Where did I go wrong?

Tiffanyposted February 10, 2015 at 12:51 am

i made these for my husbands birthday because he LOVES snicker doodles. They are amazing. I will definitely be making them again

Brookeposted February 13, 2015 at 12:31 pm

How long do these stay fresh? If I were to make them on Friday would they still be fine for an event on Monday?
    (Please reply ASAP, because I’m referencing today and this Monday…)

Thanks, and it looks delicious! Even if I’m not baking them today, I will sometime in the near future!

• Sallyreplied on February 13th, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Hi Brooke– Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.

• Brookereplied on February 13th, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Thanks so much!

Caitlinposted February 23, 2015 at 10:57 pm

I made these last weekend and they were AMAZING!! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes!

Jenaposted March 1, 2015 at 8:20 pm

My favorite is the German Chocolate Cake! I made it for my boyfriend for his birthday and he couldn’t get enough of it. This recipe is definitely going to be a birthday tradition from now on :)

Lauraposted March 22, 2015 at 11:59 am

These cupcakes are FANTASTIC. I expected good but they are actually great! Easy batter to make and assemble with an unbelievable end result. I will definitely make these again. I would reccommend using the reader view that’s available. The webpage has a lot going on and often had to reload which could be problematic when working in a timely fashion is important.

Thanks a lot Sally!

Mariposted March 26, 2015 at 5:43 pm

OMG! Snickerdoodles, Cupcakes, Cinnamon Frosting… all my favorites in one

Goodbye diet, hello extra pounds on my hips

Thank you Sally for this gorgeous recipe and for adding the measurements in gramms :-)

Many greetings from germany

Jackieposted March 29, 2015 at 1:38 pm

These are the best cupcakes I have ever made by far!!!! But both times I have made them, the second time being the worst, my cupcakes don’t rise like yours and the tops are flat and touch each other and are impossible to get out of the pan without tearing them. I follow your recipe exactly. My baking powder is not old. I usually don’t use the convection option on my oven as I feel it bakes things too quickly, would this help?? Also, they seem to have air pockets at times. Should I tap the pan on the counter before baking to remove the bubbles? I could not bear to waste them the last time I made them, so I put all the cake pieces in bowls and scooped the icing on top because it tasted so good….but the presentation was definitely lacking :( please help Sally!!! All of your recipes are soooo delicious!!!

• Sallyreplied on March 30th, 2015 at 7:41 pm

It sounds like you might be filling the cupcake liners too full. Try to reduce the amount of batter in each cupcake. You can use the convection option, though I don’t find that to be the issue. Tapping the pan to remove air bubbles will help. Try to avoid opening/closing the oven door often as they bake too.

Stephanieposted April 27, 2015 at 8:36 pm

hi Sally! I just finished making these along with the adorable little snickerdoodle cookie decor on them. they are so good! the snickerdoodle cookies on their own are just so delicious! I ate like 5 while I was waiting for the cupcakes to cook! heheh. also that frosting is MAGNIFICENT! I was going to share the second beater with my husband but after I had a little taste I was like, nope! definitely having both of these. honestly though, how good is cinnamon and sugar together? and my husband approves as well! thanks for another delicious recipe Sally :)

Elaineposted June 11, 2015 at 11:54 pm

Hey Sally :) Can I make a cake out of this recipe? Thanks
    BTW, I’ve used some of your recipes, and I love how they turned out!

• Sallyreplied on June 12th, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hi Elaine! You could: (1) Bake this recipe into a single layer cake for around 30 mins at 350. OR (2) Double the recipe and bake in two separate 9-inch cake pans. Fill the pans only 1/2 way full and use any extra batter to make cupcakes. Double the frosting recipe as well.

• Elainereplied on June 12th, 2015 at 10:17 am

Ok, I’ll try it out this weekend (:
        Thanks for the fast reply!

Amandaposted June 20, 2015 at 12:14 am

Hi Sally!
    First of all, I have tried just about all of your cupcake recipes and love them all! They turn out perfectly every time and taste amazing! I have a question though about these cupcakes though. I have made this recipe about 5 times (they’re one of my favourites) but whenever I make them they are really crumbly (still really moist though) and tend to rise when they’re in the oven and then fall during the cooling process. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong as I haven’t had this happen on any of the other recipes I’ve tried. Do you have any tips?
    Thank you!!

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2015 at 6:52 am

Are you letting the cupcakes cool in the pan? Also– do you think you are overmixing the batter? And measuring the leaveners properly? 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 baking soda… and are they fresh? I always replace my BP and BS every 3 months.

Amandaposted July 20, 2015 at 11:13 pm

These were super fantastic!  I love your recipes Sally!  My husband said these are is favorite cupcakes now.

Laurenposted August 5, 2015 at 10:06 am

Hi Sally!

I’ve made these a few times and they are so delicious! They’re always a bit hit! Do you have any suggestions for making them mini?

• Sallyreplied on August 5th, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Lauren– so glad you like them. No changes, just reduce the baking time to around 10 minutes or so.

Laurenposted September 28, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Hi Sally! Do you have any tips for making these gluten free?

Vickyposted September 29, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Just made these and they are very yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Hanna Leeposted October 4, 2015 at 5:32 pm

JUST finished making these. I have been sampling components of it throughout and just experienced the whole thing… AMAZING. This snickerdoodle cookie recipe just might need to be my go-to as well… so great! Thanks for sharing :)

Ashleyposted October 8, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I found this awesome recipe on Pinterest! I was wondering if we *need* the yogurt for the cupcakes? I have all these ingredients save for the yogurt and I hate going to the grocery store for 1 thing. (Silly I know! But I live 35 mins from the closest grocery!)