Sky-High Blackberry Apple Muffins.

Cinnamon-spiced apple muffins loaded with juicy blackberries and topped with a simple oat streusel. You won’t miss the extra sugar and fat in these flavorful muffins, trust me.

Sky High Blackberry Apple Muffins. Super flavorful, healthy muffins - you won't miss all the fat and sugar!

It has been far too long since I’ve shared a new muffin recipe with you. (if you love muffins as much as I do, 3 weeks is an eternity, ok?)

It has also been far too long since I’d been on a roller coaster.  This past Friday night – when I was visiting my friend Marie in Cleveland – we went to Cedar Point amusement park for a “Halloweekend” evening.  Everything was decorated for Halloween and there were dozens of creepy masked employees roaming around.  Considering Halloween is my favorite holiday, I loved every second of it.

I rode two VERY scary roller coasters (not this one… couldn’t handle it!) and that was certainly enough for me.  I used to be so fearless with thrilling rides, but apparently that changes at age 28…?!  Have you ever been to Cedar Point? Please tell me you’re braver than I am.

Sky High Blackberry Apple Muffins. Bursting with juicy fruits and topped with a simple streusel Surprisingly healthy!

Let’s talk about these muffins.  I’ve actually made them for you before, but I decided to add a little sass to them.  Kevin’s favorite fruit is blackberries; he can’t get enough of ’em. I can steal his string cheese, eat his Frosted Flakes, drink his Gatorade – but the blackberries? Different story. I really can’t blame him for not sharing. Our entire pantry is full of candy bars labeled “NO. Need for recipe.”

Luckily, I salvaged a pint of blackberries to make today’s purple-dotted, streusel-topped, cinnamon-spiced, apple-infused muffins, actually-sort-of-healthy muffins.

Best-Ever Apple Blackberry Muffins. Learn how to make them extra flavorful without all the fat and sugar!

You may not realize it, but blackberries and apples pair wonderfully together. Even though blackberries are a summery fruit, I can’t help but to love the juicy berries paired with fall-spiced apples. Mmm… perfection. Not a lover of blackberries? Try raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, pears, cherries, or even raisins. I love raisins and am scared of roller coasters. Yeah… I must be getting old.

I made a few changes to my original Sky High Apple Pie Muffins (besides just adding blackberries, of course).

Here are the recipe updates I made:

• I added vanilla extract. Vanilla is everything.
  • I increased the cinnamon. Cinnamon = everything.
  • I reduced the amount of refined sugar in the muffins and in the streusel.
  • I left out the butter in the streusel. Shockingly enough, I didn’t miss it the added fat!
  • I increased the amount of applesauce and yogurt.  This gives the muffins more moisture. Always a good thing when working with low fat baked goods.

The yogurt and unsweetened applesauce replace oil or butter in the muffin batter. I love to use both of these moisture-inducing foods in my lower fat muffin recipes.  You won’t even realize these muffins are healthier than your favorite bakery-style muffins, trust me. They have so much flavor! I prefer to use Chobani Apple Cinnamon Greek yogurt in this recipe. If you can’t find it, any yogurt would be fine.  Greek, regular, vanilla, plain, low fat, fat free, honey-flavored, blackberry flavored, etc etc.

A good thing to note: you will not mix the blackberries into the muffin batter.  Rather, you will layer them into the muffin batter as you fill the muffin cups.  This prevents your muffin batter from turning purple.

You’ll make the muffins using my tried-and-true “sky-high” methods.  This means (1) adding enough leaveners to the batter to make the muffins rise (2) baking at a very high initial oven temperature, then lowering it down (3) filling the muffin tins all the way to the top. These muffins are super tall. Muffin tops are always the best part, right?!

The little oat streusel on top?  The best part. Though you may leave it out completely, my favorite bites were those with all the streusel. You may want to add a touch more brown sugar to the batter if you do not wish to add streusel on top. The streusel is just a simple mixture of brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon. I got a little heavy handed topping a few of the muffins. Can you really blame me? Steusel’d muffins > unstreusel’d muffins.

Cinnamon-spiced, juicy blackberries, brown sugar streusel, maple, oats, whole wheat flour, protein-packed yogurt… there is nothing NOT to love about these muffins, trust me.

After this weekend, I think I’m just going to stick to baking. You leave the sky-high muffins up to me and I’ll leave the scary-tall roller coasters up to you, ok? 😀

Sky-High Blackberry Apple Muffins

Yield: 16 muffins

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Soft, fluffy, flavorful apple muffins filled with cinnamon, juicy blackberries, and topped with a brown sugar oat streusel. You won't miss the extra sugar and fat!

• 3 cups white whole wheat flour* (measured correctly)
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon (or 2 teaspoons for a lighter flavor)
  • 3 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 very large apple, peeled and diced into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (or light brown)
  • 1/2 cup Chobani Apple Cinnamon yogurt*
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or vegetable oil)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup*
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk you prefer)
  • 1 pint (about 1 cup) fresh or frozen blackberries, chopped

Oat Streusel

• 3 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar (or light brown)
  • 3 Tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Make the muffins: Toss the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chopped apples together in a large bowl until evenly combined. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, yogurt, applesauce, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, and milk together vigorously until combined and smooth.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir with a large spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Do not overmix the batter.

Make the streusel: toss the brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon together in a small bowl.  Set aside. Layer 1 Tablespoon of batter into each muffin tin.  Top with a couple chopped blackberry pieces, then layer with more muffin batter and a couple more blackberry pieces until you've filled the muffin cups all the way to the top. Sprinkle each with streusel.

Bake the muffins at 425F for 5 minutes. Keeping the muffins inside the oven, turn the temperature down to 375F and bake for another 15-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Muffins stay fresh at room temperature for up to 3 days. See my notes for how to freeze.

*Instead of white whole wheat flour, use half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour. Or use 3 cups all-purpose flour.

*Any flavor yogurt will be fine, fat free or low fat.

*You may use 1/4 cup more brown sugar instead of maple syrup.

*I love to make this big batch of muffins and freeze the leftovers.  Microwave them for 30 seconds and you have a quick, easy breakfast. The muffins last up to 3 months in the freezer.

Here are my Sky-High Apple Pie Muffins, from which today’s recipe is adapted.

You’ll love my Skinny Raspberry Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins too.

Skinny Raspberry Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

118 Responses to “Sky-High Blackberry Apple Muffins.”

Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted October 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm

These muffins are so pretty, love the blackberry-apple combo and cinnamon does = everything!

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I’m glad you agree about cinnamon, Laura. I have been using it left and right now that it’s fall baking season!

Rutaposted October 20, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Wow, these look really great. Whenever I bake muffins with whole wheat flour, they look like littel hockey pucks. Can’t wait to try these.

• Sallyreplied on October 20th, 2013 at 5:34 pm

As long as you use a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose (about half and half), then they will still be very soft! Or use white whole wheat flour instead (if you have that readily available). Enjoy, Ruta!

Laura Dembowskiposted October 24, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I’ve never been to Cedar Point, but I’m a scaredy cat so it makes sense. Blackberries are my fave too especially when my dad picks them for me.

Aniniposted October 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

When you bake these i notice you don’t use the muffin liners. How do you do that without ruining the muffin tins? i made the apple muffins with muffin liners but they edges stuck and wouldn’t come out.

• Sallyreplied on October 27th, 2013 at 4:59 pm

As instructed in the recipe, I spray the pans with nonstick spray to prevent sticking.

Tashaposted October 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I ran across your site about a week ago. Your site has quickly become my go-to for recipe ideas! My family loved the Nutella puppy chow. One of my teenage sons and I were planning a movie night for next weekend and decided to make one of your granolas for it. When we went to the store to get quinoa, we saw blackberries on sale for half the usual price! I told him I’d make muffins – so I can’t wait to try this!

• Sallyreplied on October 28th, 2013 at 2:28 pm

That Nutella puppy chow has to be one of my favorite recipes – ever! So darn easy to make too. And these muffins are simply to die for. They’re also incredibly easy. And much healthier than that addicting puppy chow. Thanks so much for taking the time to write to me Tasha. Happy Baking!

Nicciposted October 28, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I know I’m in the minority, but I am not a fan of berries in baked goods… Do you think I can make this with just apples? Maybe double the apple?

Jeanposted November 11, 2013 at 7:19 am

I wanted to make these muffins ahead of time, do you think they would freeze okay for a few days to a week? Thank you, I love all your recipes that I have tried. Today I made Easy Strawberry Cupcakes.

• Sallyreplied on November 11th, 2013 at 8:00 am

Hi Jean, I have freezing instructions at the bottom of the recipe.

Jeanposted November 11, 2013 at 8:47 am

Thank you, I didn’t read far enough.

Brookeposted December 7, 2013 at 3:02 pm

obviously, i made these a tad late for the fall flavors they embody!

still, they’re great. they look like a million bucks, and are so yummy as well! and for those non-bakers, it was fairly easy. (Im 13 haha, I made them for a bake sale at my school :)) i had one lady buy a dozen!! i cited your website just in case they wanted to make them, but thanks for posting, Sally! delish!

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Thanks Brooke! You are wonderful to bake so many of these muffins for your bake sale. So fantastic that you’re so young and still had no trouble with these – yes, they’re quite simple! I’m honored one of your customers bought a dozen. =)

Michelleposted February 20, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Made these today! All I can say is WOW. Anyone who has been contemplating making these …. stop contemplating. I used a blend of frozen mixed berries and apples and they are delicious. These are my new favourite muffin :)

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Happy to read that, Michelle. These are a favorite of mine too!

mirandaposted March 9, 2014 at 11:12 am

when you leave out butter and replace it with yoghurt or applesauce do you use the same amount or more than butter?

Jessica G.posted March 23, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Hi Sally! I hosted brunch this weekend at my apt and made these. I was scouring the web for interesting healthy muffin recipes and these looked so good, I had to try them.

I CANNOT believe they have no fat in them, they were that good.

I can’t wait to try more recipes from your site. I’m looking around now for new ideas. Thank you so much!

P.S. We cheated a little and ate them with homemade strawberry butter on the side, but felt less guilty since the muffins are so healthy :-)

• Sallyreplied on March 23rd, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Perfect brunch recipe! I’ll have to try them with strawberry butter – that sounds incredible!

meggenposted April 16, 2014 at 5:06 pm

i don’t usually leave comments on blogs, in general, but i baked these muffins this morning and the page was still up on my computer. i took these to my daughter’s Easter egg hunt with her school and, wow, they had a reputation by the time i returned to get my container. there was one left, which i put up for grabs, but, thankfully, it went straight into my mouth. i did sub coconut oil for the applesauce/veg. oil, as well as subbed 2 ‘flax eggs’ in place of chicken eggs. i didn’t have maple syrup, so i used brown sugar. oh, and plain yogurt instead of flavored. these were magical. i will most definitely make them again. thank you for sharing! meggen

Janiceposted April 25, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I made the sky-high apple muffin yesterday and they were WONDERFUL!!! so moist and fluffy! and love your sky-high method so much! i’m gonna try your other recipes as well!
    just one thing… the link for cup measurement was not working, so i am just wondering do you use 240ml or 250ml as a cup?

PS i know i should comment on the apple muffin page… but i could not post the comment… It said “duplicated comment” but i’m sure its my first time to comment on that page…..

• Sallyreplied on April 27th, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Hi Janice! I use 240ml as a cup. So happy you love the regular version of these muffins!

Kimposted August 30, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I picked blackberries last night and made these this morning. The best muffins ever. I love how “tall” they came out and they are absolutely delicious! I am going to search your site for a great pumpkin muffin recipe now.

Rosaposted March 25, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Another great recipe from Sally! I just made these for a meeting tomorrow. My staff will love love. I made a few changes: used agave syrup instead of maple and low fat plain Greek yogurt and they are ABSOLUTELY delicious!

Thanks Sally!

Cristaposted August 3, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Would amaranth or oat flour work instead of the white and whole wheat or even just instead of the whole wheat?

Shannonposted September 12, 2015 at 2:47 pm

These smell soooo good. I just put them into the oven. Patiently waiting for them to come out.