4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Fudge.

The creamiest, smoothest, peanut butteriest fudge ever. Only 4 ingredients and no candy thermometer or stove are required.

The creamiest, smoothest, peanut butteriest, BEST fudge ever! Only 4 ingredients and no candy thermometer or stove are required. @sallybakeblog

Warning! Warning! You are about to enter dangerous fudge territory.

Let me preface this recipe by saying a few things: if you’re a peanut butter freak like me, you should not be trusted around this fudge. One taste and all self control will be lost. All healthy eating plans will flush down the drain. If you were planning to skip dessert today, then I’m sorry.

Not really.

I’ve made this peanut butter fudge before. Many years ago before this blog. This fudge “recipe” has been sitting in a box of saved recipe scraps. I nearly forgot about it. I know! How does a peanut butter lover like me forget about peanut butter fudge?!

Anyway. I made today’s fudge on Saturday after we carved pumpkins. And by “we” I mean Kevin and his niece. I simply watched them. I took their picture, drank homemade apple cider, and roasted pumpkin seeds. Naturally.

My honest intention for this fudge was to bring it along on a coffee date with my friends the next morning. After I took these photos, I placed the fudge in a tupperware and hid it in the fridge from myself. I walked away and tried to forget about it. (If your love for peanut butter runs deep like mine, then you’d do the same thing.)

Kevin popped open the fridge after dinner.

“You want a piece?”

“No! It’s for Kristen tomorrow.”

“Are you sure?

“Well, ok. A small piece. And those little crumbs around it too.”

“I know you’re going to want more than 1 small piece, Sally.”

The man knows me too well.

So Kristen, if you’re reading – the small plate of fudge I gave you?

Yeah, it was supposed to be much larger. Whoops. So you want to make the fudge yourself? It’s dangerously easy. And when it comes to candy making, I prefer easy.

Here are your ingredients:

• Butter
  • Peanut butter
  • Vanilla extract
  • Confectioners’ sugar

Yeah, that’s it. Total health food. Oh! There are chocolate chips and Reese’s peanut butter cups too. But those two extras are only if you want a little chocolate action with your peanut butter. The fudge is pretty fan-freaking-tastic without any chocolate. I can’t believe I’m saying that.

All you do is melt the peanut butter and butter together. Then mix in the vanilla and the sugar. If using chocolate add-ins, mix those in right away when the fudge is still warm. The warmth will slightly melt the chocolate as you stir everything together. You don’t need a candy thermometer, you don’t need a stove, you don’t need 1,000 dishes. This fudge is a 10 minute recipe, tops. A blessing if you’re feeling lazy and a curse to your skinny jeans.

I can see myself making this fudge often. Some for every neighbor, friend, relative, Kevin’s co-workers, Kevin’s hungry friends, and family. The fudge freezes quite well (thankfully!). So if you’re a “think ahead baker” like I am, you can make this fudge now for the upcoming holidays. Just set it in the refrigerator to thaw and then give away to all the peanut butter lovers in your life.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Peanut Butter Fudge

Yield: 48 squares

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes

Creamy and smooth peanut butter fudge made with only a few ingredients. It's dangerously good! No candy thermometer, no stove, just a few simple steps to make this decadent fudge.

• 1 cup (250g) creamy peanut butter*
  • 1 cup (2 sticks or 230g) unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 4 cups (460g) sifted confectioners' sugar*
  • 3/4 cup add-ins, such as chocolate chips, peanuts, or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (optional)

Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished fudge out.

Melt the peanut butter and butter together in a large bowl. I prefer to slice the butter to make melting easier. Stop the microwave and stir the mixture every minute until completely melted and smooth. Remove from the microwave and stir in the vanilla using a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Add the salt if you prefer a salty/sweet fudge. Add the sifted confectioners' sugar and stir until completely combined. The mixture is very, very thick and resembles cookie dough. If using any add-ins, fold them into the fudge while it is still warm.

Press the fudge into prepared baking pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spatula or spoon. The top will be somewhat oily. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and chill for at least 4 hours or until firm. Cut into pieces.

Store fudge in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Fudge may be frozen for up to 2 months. To thaw, simply transfer to the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.

*I recommend using store bought creamy peanut butter, not homemade. If using natural, make sure the peanut butter is not oily at all. Crunchy peanut butter is OK.

*Confectioners' (aka powdered, icing) sugar must be sifted. Weights may vary depending on brand, make sure you measure exactly 4 cups. I used Domino.

Original source of the recipe is the Joy of Cooking Cookbook. I made a few slight changes to increase peanut butter flavor.

So you like peanut butter, huh?

peanut butter solves everything

Go ahead, indulge some more peanut butter love…

Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

Ultimate Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies

Ultimate Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies

Peanut Butter & Jelly White Chocolate Streusel Bars

PBJ White Chocolate Bars

See all of my peanut butter recipes. (there’s a ton)

189 Responses to “4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Fudge.”

Sarahposted December 16, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for metric ingredient list!! So helpful!

Sigried Johnstonposted December 17, 2014 at 5:24 pm

CAVEAT: you can reduce the sugar by an entire cup in this recipe.
    Just made this recipe today, but I adjusted quantities after reading COMMENTS. I MADE IT WITH 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 1/2 cup of butter, vanilla and after spreading in a parchment paper lined pan, while still hot a sprinkler chocolate chips and spread it all out as it melted! It all set perfectly in fridge!

• Sigried Johnstonreplied on December 17th, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Forgot to add, I made it with only 3 cups of confectioners sugar.

Brittany Rposted December 23, 2014 at 9:05 am

I just discovered this fudge recipe and it is delicious! I make this all the time and everyone always loves it! I am a huge fan of your site, Sally! Every recipe I have tried from your site has always been a success. Thanks for sharing!

Crystal Pposted December 31, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I found your recipe to be awesome soo yummmy and delish!! My whole family and friends loved it! thanks for sharing it. I love how easy it was to make it! Now I must get rid of it so I wont be tempted to keep eating it !! Thanks again !!!

Sarah-Janeposted February 24, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Sally your recipes are amazing! I like in New Zealand, and it’s been so difficult to find Peanut Butter recipes. My hubby loves Peanut Butter (almost as much as you do). So I have made this fudge, your Peanut Butter Blondies and the no bake choc and peanut butter slice. All absolutely fantastic tasting, not too difficult to make and they don’t take too much time. My hubby thanks you (but perhaps not for too long as he may go up a pant size sometime soon!)

Peggyposted April 17, 2015 at 9:50 am

I just want to clarify… The recipe calls for “4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar”, rather than “4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted.” There is a difference. So should I keep sifting the sugar until I get 4 cups, or measure 4 cups and THEN sift it? Much appreciated. This fudge looks amazing.

• Sallyreplied on April 17th, 2015 at 9:56 am

Measure 4 cups of sifted confectioners sugar. Sift first.

Natalie Munroeposted May 6, 2015 at 2:13 pm

I’ve been making (and wow-ing crowds with) the s’mores fudge in your cookbook for months now. Last night I decided I felt like making a chocolate peanut butter fudge, so I came to the blog to see if you have one on here, and found your PB fudge recipe. So I halved this recipe and made it the bottom layer of my fudge, then made a batch of the s’mores fudge without the add-ins and used most of it to pour on top. (Used a 11×7 pan to get more yield.) It. Was. Delicious! Creamy. Salty-sweet combo. What a delight.

I can’t wait for your candy cookbook to come out. (I really want that blasted Oreo fudge you’ve been teasing me with in your pictures!) Knowing your love of all things chocolate and peanut butter, something tells me you might just have a choco-PB fudge in there.

Oh, and guess what I did with the rest of the chocolate fudge? I used two baby loaf pans and in one, I made a riff on a German chocolate cake by adding shredded coconut and some of your salted caramel sauce I had left over from the other day (yes, I know there’s no caramel in German chocolate cake but it’s gooey and that was what I was going for. Haha), and in the other I pushed quartered mini-Reeses cups down into for a lazy-man’s version of choco-PB fudge. Both also divine.

Thanks for such great go-to base recipes that are easy to make and fun to adapt!

• Sallyreplied on May 6th, 2015 at 7:06 pm

You are a fudge GENIUS I tell ya. Wow, Natalie! I love hearing about your recipe adaptions! Both little fudge “experiments” sound out of control delicious. And you know me too well. There most certainly is a choco PB fudge in the book!!

Robbieposted May 19, 2015 at 8:34 am

Hi Sally. I’m planning to make this for the weekend and I can’t wait to try it! Can I ask you, the peanut butter you use, does it contain whole peanuts in the mix or is it just a smooth paste?

• Sallyreplied on May 19th, 2015 at 9:02 am

I use smooth, creamy peanut butter for my PB fudge.

• Robbiereplied on May 19th, 2015 at 9:23 am

Hmm, I my local supermarket only has the stuff with the whole peanuts in it. Guess I’ll have to try using that, I could always pick out the peanuts but I think I’ll just leave them in!
        Also, would Nutella go nicely in this?

Josephine Young Hambyposted June 8, 2015 at 5:28 pm

This is delicious fudge I make it and so easy . The only thing I do it put a little extra peanut butter to give it more peanut butter taste only about 4 or5 tablespoons more. Thanks for the recipe have request to make it over and over again.

britposted July 11, 2015 at 1:03 am

I only in 3 cups of powder sugar , and used same amy of everything else. Will mine set? I don’t want a heavy powder sugar taste.. so I didn’t add as much

Stacposted July 27, 2015 at 11:06 am

My fudge didn’t work out. I measured all the ingredients and put in everything but the salt and mix-ins. It turned out all crumbly and what didn’t crumble was hard. It tasted like peanut butter with too much sugar. I’m assuming it’s not supposed to be like this… What do you think was the reason it didn’t work out? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on July 27th, 2015 at 11:34 am

What type of peanut butter did you use? I always use Jif or Skippy. Commercial non-natural brands like that (anything non-natural, really) work best.

Tammyposted September 29, 2015 at 1:45 pm

OH MY!!  Thank you so much for this recipe!!!!   (I think). LOL ! This recipe is SO easy to make and Oh so easy to to eat!! I did not change any part of the recipe.  But if my family and I keep eating this, we will have to make changes to our Clothes…. LOL!!
     Again, Wonderful recipe!!  Will be making this during holidays for {ME} I mean, gifts. Have a wonderful and blessed Day!!

Crystal Turnerposted September 30, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Hello, let me start off by saying that I love your recipes. However, I am notoriously a terrible baker. No matter what I do I ruin most sweets. I can cook a savory meal that will knock your socks off, but I am defied by the baking gods. So I found this recipe and decided to try it because there is no baking involved and it seemed so simple. Well I have tried to make it 2 times now and it does not set, it is still the consistency of peanut butter. I have been making it with country crock margarine, so is it that I am not using real butter that makes it no set? I have followed directions perfectly and nothing happens! Please help!

• Sallyreplied on October 1st, 2015 at 9:04 am

Ahhh do not use margarine! Margarine is never a good replacement for butter in candy recipes. Try again with butter.

So happy you love my recipes Crystal. Thank you!

• Crystal Turnerreplied on October 14th, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I will try that. I did not pay attention to using the real butter when I tried it. I’m going to do it again with all the same ingredients you used. Wish me luck!

Jennyposted October 10, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Hey, the recipe sounds amazing! But can I used margarine instead of butter or will it affect anything?

Benposted October 19, 2015 at 9:08 pm

I just tried making this, and it’s chilling in the refrigerator now. Because I didn’t have a bowl large enough to melt the butter and peanut butter in the microwave, I just melted it in a large saucepan on the stove. My mix-in’s ended up being blend-in’s. Oops, lol. I’m okay with PB chocolate fudge. It tastes delicious, and that’s the important part.

Also, I love how you say that the salt is optional. Right…

I’m a sucker for sweet and salty. I went out and bought some unsalted butter and added salt. But would I be able to use salted butter instead since I usually have that on hand?

Thanks for the recipe though, Sally. It’s awesome :).